The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrighton

I feel sorry for all the folk in Liverpool that have been following the guidelines but now find themselves in tier 3 because of these morons out partying!
Friends of mine were unhappy/sad last month when their daughter set off for university in Newcastle but were livid when all they saw were photos of her on social media out partying every day and night in different halls of residence as there were no face to face lectures which was quickly followed by covid making a rapid round of the university. To make matters worse one of the daughters friends travelled up there from Eastbourne to visit her and stayed in her room despite knowing she had tested positive. She then proceeded to come home and go to work at Tesco's. A quick call from my friend to Tesco's got her sent home immediately.
It does appear a fair few of the younger generation just don't care.

daffy

Quote from: thebrighton on October 14, 2020, 01:39:02 PM
It does appear a fair few of the younger generation just don't care.

Judging by the news footage over the last month or so it is certainly a rather large number who seem hell-bent on hedonism and to hell  with masks and common sense. Whether it's 'a few' is hard to judge, but they are certainly a loud and prominent lot.

A week or so ago I saw a headline that was a member of the younger generation exhorting us not to blame the young. With scenes like last night all too frequently seen, it is hard not to.

And yesterday during a news broadcast, a journalist out on the streets talking about the effects of Covid restrictions on society said something like "Are we sacrificing the young to protect the old?" I couldn't believe my ears. Maybe I heard his comment slightly out of context, but I don't think so.

Okay, before I get too political/incendiary or just plain mad, I'll find a corner to curl up in (now known as isolating or shielding) so these dear young souls can go on enjoying their lives.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Yet_Another

Just for a bit of balance: with the puritan's charter running roughshod over everyone's lives, I have every sympathy for those people who are looking at many further months of extremely dull lockdown and felt the need for a blowout.

Those of us who remember watching the smoke over Liverpool 8 and Moss Side & Hulme in the eighties, and the more recent riots this century might be a little more circumspect in suggesting the deployment of force in our inner cities.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

dannyboy

There are some, (well at least one), member(s) of this forum who not only remember the riots of the 80's, but were actually employed to try and stop them. I have dodged a few missiles and petrol bombs in my time and wished there was an armoured troop carrier down the road.

One definition of 'circumspect' is "wary and unwilling to take risks".
One definition of 'riot' is "a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd".

For a riot to happen, there is a need for a group of people who are unhappy about something. You then add an 'agitator' to stir up the group and you end up with a riot. Take away the group of people or the 'agitator' and there is no riot.  I can understand the 'powers that be' being circumspect, but we are in a situation that is affecting millions of people and killing thousands.  I would much rather be told that I must stay in my home for two or three weeks and have a good chance of surviving and that if I don't, I stand a good chance of being arrested, or dying, than be told that measures can not be put in place to protect me, because some people might get upset, or it will cost a lot of money.

Incidentally, the measures currently in place in Ireland are, broadly speaking, in line with the ones in the UK. The results of a poll published yesterday reveal that 61% of the population of Ireland believe that the Government are not doing enough.

However, I think this could be described as being a bit political, so I will shut up and isolate myself as much as I can.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Yet_Another on October 14, 2020, 10:49:21 PM
Just for a bit of balance: with the puritan's charter running roughshod over everyone's lives

Puritans. I remember them. That's what we need right now - another Oliver Cromwell. He wouldn't faff about in a namby pamby way. I'd just love to know his plans for the anti mask bozos who gather in their 1000s :D

guest311

unfortunately, we are dealing with at least a couple of generations that have been brought up with 'rights' rather than responsibilities.

if I'm naughty you can't smack me, I have rights, etc

those of us who were brought up in an age when you learnt discipline, self discipline, and responsibility were much luckier, IMHO.

you did something wrong, you got caught, you got punished.

lines were drawn, you crossed them at your own risk.

nowadays, with every one having 'rights' it seem almost impossible to enforce rules if people don't want to obey them.

no doubt, some would argue it's progress, I'd say anarchy.

but then I'm a grumpy old git.

dannyboy

Quote from: class37025 on October 15, 2020, 10:59:25 AM

Seems that there are a few of us.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

You may well be a grumpy old git...

...but you're correct.

:(
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: class37025 on October 15, 2020, 10:59:25 AM
unfortunately, we are dealing with at least a couple of generations that have been brought up with 'rights' rather than responsibilities.

if I'm naughty you can't smack me, I have rights, etc

those of us who were brought up in an age when you learnt discipline, self discipline, and responsibility were much luckier, IMHO.

you did something wrong, you got caught, you got punished.

lines were drawn, you crossed them at your own risk.

nowadays, with every one having 'rights' it seem almost impossible to enforce rules if people don't want to obey them.

no doubt, some would argue it's progress, I'd say anarchy.

Ok going to take the bait on that as a member of, say, two generations back.

I know my rights: I have the right to a fair trial and not get shot if I decide to join a march for a cause I believe in. The fact that no cause has stirred me to do so is by the by.

I have been privileged to have teachers that many would regard as "old school", so I certainly know where the line is.

I loath generalisations of generations or any other group of people.

So I won't be generalist and accuse any OLDER generation of messing up the environment or destroying markets so as to make home ownership an increasingly unrealistic dream for most.

Because I don't like that sort of thing I won't do it  :telloff:

Apologise if I am skirting the political rule....

Skyline2uk

joe cassidy

What saddens me is the violence expressed by the "bring back the birch" brigade.

guest311

some people you can't reason with,

they just ignore advice or explanations

so, do you let them continue in their own way

or teach the sods a lesson ?

joe cassidy

Moderators.

We complain when they intervene too often but they are never there when you need them  :(

Dorsetmike

Quote from: joe cassidy on October 15, 2020, 11:40:45 AM
What saddens me is the violence expressed by the "bring back the birch" brigade.
My grandfather was a prison warder back in the 1920s, one of his duties was to administer the birch, he said "nobody came back for seconds"  which suggests to me that it was an effective deterrent to further antisocial behaviour, which can not be said of present day penalties.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

joe cassidy

Capital punishment is also an "effective deterrent to further antisocial behaviour" and "nobody came back for seconds".

Moderator, moderator ?

guest311

do I detect a call for selective censorship,

ie I don't like the views expressed, so delete them ?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations