Setrack Points

Started by Tdm, August 30, 2014, 01:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

I do seem to have quite a few problems with a number of my ST-5 & ST-6 Peco Setrack points. Are the Farish ones any better or are there any other alternatives?.

The problems I have experienced include bad connections after a while, and the moving curved piece of the point breaking off. 

The whole of my layout is currently setrack so if I put any Kato points in there they would look odd.

Paddy

Quote from: Tdm on August 30, 2014, 01:41:29 PM
I do seem to have quite a few problems with a number of my ST-5 & ST-6 Peco Setrack points. Are the Farish ones any better or are there any other alternatives?.

The problems I have experienced include bad connections after a while, and the moving curved piece of the point breaking off. 

The whole of my layout is currently setrack so if I put any Kato points in there they would look odd.

Hi Tdm,

My layout (HOLLERTON JUNCTION) uses PECO Setrack points and I have had no problems.  They are laid directly on to the baseboard surface.  My previous layout used the foam underlay and I did have issues then.

Regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

port perran

Are these points brand new or did they come second hand ?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Tdm

All my points were bought brand new, but I have changed my layout so many times, they have been moved from one place to another on dozens of occasions, and getting them up (unpinning or unglueing them) I could be the culprit or it could be the ballast I have laid on them.

Just wondered if there was an any difference at all between the Peco and Farish ones, or if there was a better alternative without changing all the track - just the points.?

port perran

Just a thought but have you thoroughly cleaned all the points including the blades where they connect to the track. As has been documented here in other threads, there is no substitute for clean track/points. If those points have been used before (as you say) and been glued/ballasted they are going to be very dirty I guess.
Try a good clean (good to use IPA) as a first resort.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

I use an IPA soaked pipe cleaner to get at the blades on my points. Some have suggested scraping them but I'd rather keep that as a last resort as I reckon they would attract more crud :-\

Tdm

Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is IPA - remembering that I cannot order any "liquids" from the U.K. as an Airline won't carry them. If there is a Canarian (Spanish) equivalent of IPA that someone can tell me about, I could look for it here. Is it something you would get from an Ironmongers (Ferreterias here), or where?

Sprintex

IPA stands for IsoPropyl Alcohol ;)

Rather than try to explain it's uses here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for it:-

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

Hope that helps you to find it over there :thumbsup:

Paul

Bealman

I'd say they wouldn't let it on a plane but it will surely be available there.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

weave

Alcohol Isopropilico (with an accent on the middle i) to save you googling.

Can't help with the points except were you a bit heavy handed when moving them about? I use Kato now but had problems with Peco years ago but think my own clumsy fault.

Suerte weave

Bealman

Peco points as they exit the factory are fragile and need careful handling and subsequent care. I have many units that are RS due to mishandling by myself a long time ago.

So I can endorse  Weave's post.

Basically, Peco ain't plug 'n play.

Bealman

Of what... oh... sorry... IPA.  :-[

Caz

Quote from: Tdm on August 31, 2014, 11:39:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is IPA - remembering that I cannot order any "liquids" from the U.K. as an Airline won't carry them. If there is a Canarian (Spanish) equivalent of IPA that someone can tell me about, I could look for it here. Is it something you would get from an Ironmongers (Ferreterias here), or where?

I had the same problem Terry, Leroy Merlin and other DIY chains on the mainland sell Alcohol 96% which is almost as good as the full IPA.   If you want full IPA then the odd ferreteria might have it or be able to order it, I managed to get some on Ebay from a guy in Madrid (he is now out of stock), it is call "Alcohol Isopropilico" in Spain.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40%