Adding photographs to a post

Started by Madann01, December 22, 2018, 07:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: swisstrains on August 07, 2019, 09:03:32 PM
I personally don't find uploading photos to be too much of a problem. What I don't understand is why the thumbnails of my photos that are more than 6 months old no longer bring up the full-size image. ???

It is a bit weird but copying/pasting the BB code still brings the pic up in the post you're putting it into. Strange. A job for Muldur & Scully, maybe.

Tank

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 07, 2019, 10:22:38 PM
It is a bit weird but copying/pasting the BB code still brings the pic up in the post you're putting it into. Strange. A job for Muldur & Scully, maybe.

Careful Mick, someone on this thread might say that your comment is unhelpful.

swisstrains

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 07, 2019, 10:22:38 PM
Quote from: swisstrains on August 07, 2019, 09:03:32 PM
I personally don't find uploading photos to be too much of a problem. What I don't understand is why the thumbnails of my photos that are more than 6 months old no longer bring up the full-size image. ???

Yes, thanks Nobby, I had noticed that and also the slideshow feature still brings up full-size older images. ???

Railwaygun

Re the new limit of file sizes (12mb??) - when do we have to buy more disc storage?? the bigger the images we have to store.....

Why shouldn't we have a limit on file size? the Forum s/w obviously has some limitations, which will be fixed RSN, but we still have to live within them.

I'm sorry that @Lawrence was upset by my post , but we have to work within constraints, and will have to do so for the foreseeable future. I did state what works for me but there are so many devices out there that it is difficult to keep up with today's new improved ( and non-standard ) phones.

We Mods are all volunteers, and Tank's and other's efforts have made us the largest UK online forum ( nearly 7000 members). We provide a 24hr service, supporting members and visitors. and luckily objectionable comments  are rare and we take them in our stride. 

the Forum format is friendly and (fairly) easy to use, and a vast improvement on mail lists / bulletin boards. However It is  not perfect. and we have to work within limitations set by the s/w developers but its what we have and we all have to work with it.

We do need to revise the instructions for posting images, and try and improve the process as much as we can, preferably before the next Millennium!

We will try harder.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

crewearpley40

We Mods are all volunteers, and Tank's and other's efforts have made us the largest UK online forum ( nearly 7000 members). We provide a 24hr service, supporting members and visitors. and luckily objectionable comments  are rare and we take them in our stride. 

Well said nick

to be honest its taken me a while to work out what to, and thank you Tank and the moderators.  we appreciate you

the Forum format is friendly and (fairly) easy to use. should there be simple instructions available for those who are not technology minded  posted every now and then just as an aide memoire ????

exmouthcraig

@Railwaygun please see my post to @Tank  and I also apologise to you and @Only Me, my rant was about MY inability to post a picture and I'm sorry for the fallout that has followed.

I was missing for 6months with work and had totally forgotten how to post pictures.

Now I know how to do it I don't see any problems with the forum at all, other then the flak you have all recieved in reaction to my post.

I would like to make clear I did not feel I got the "I'm alright Jack" response from anyone. Will upping the size of photos cause any of the dramas that the Gallery caused when the upgrade took place? I'm sure the last thing the forum would want is delays and dramas caused as a result of adding massive pictures.

Lawrence

That's me off the Christmas card list then!

PM sent Chris @Tank

Lawrence

Quote from: Only Me on August 08, 2019, 06:11:59 PM
@Lawrence  i think ive fixed it please can you test un resized pictures thanks

I'll let @exmouthcraig have the pleasure of that, I don't have anything interesting to post now anyway!

exmouthcraig

Noooooo please don't. I'm very sorry for the agro caused by my lack of computer phone based knowledge and all the fallout that followed.

I will try to get pictures of my stripped Inspection Saloon and add to my topic from yesterday and see what happens.

@Only Me I will try to attach pictures in the next half hour and let you know, have another few G&Ts to chill out after the stressful day and I'll see what happens  :beers:

exmouthcraig

Here goes, this was our latest purchase. Why on earth SR modellers have to have this thing  :censored:

Does it work?? This is a 3.79MB picture, taken on my Samsung phone and uploaded straight to the forum with no adoption

exmouthcraig

@Tank @Only Me @Railwaygun it seems to of worked chaps. Fantastic effort, maybe BA will offer you both some IT contracts  :smiley-laughing:

Thank you for your efforts and making it easy for us  :dunce: to get pictures on the forum  :beers:  :thankyousign: :thankyousign: :thankyousign:

Lawrence

Quote from: Railwaygun on August 08, 2019, 09:05:58 AM
Re the new limit of file sizes (12mb??) - when do we have to buy more disc storage?? the bigger the images we have to store.....

Why shouldn't we have a limit on file size? the Forum s/w obviously has some limitations, which will be fixed RSN, but we still have to live within them.

I'm sorry that @Lawrence was upset by my post , but we have to work within constraints, and will have to do so for the foreseeable future. I did state what works for me but there are so many devices out there that it is difficult to keep up with today's new improved ( and non-standard ) phones.

the Forum format is friendly and (fairly) easy to use, and a vast improvement on mail lists / bulletin boards. However It is  not perfect. and we have to work within limitations set by the s/w developers but its what we have and we all have to work with it.

We do need to revise the instructions for posting images, and try and improve the process as much as we can, preferably before the next Millennium!

We will try harder.

For clarity, I wasn't upset by your post or Chris's, my comments were designed to illicit a positive response and, despite some unsavoury comments aimed my way, a positive response was indeed forthcoming which will benefit all members of the forum. And my skin is suitably thickened.

FYI, I can assure you I don't need reminding of what mods do on the forum, initially it was just Tank and yours truly.

As for file size, is it possible to purchase an SMF plugin that will handle uploaded images and auto resize them to a standard size (eg 2mB) then overwrite the uploaded image to save space or we could be into Terra bites before we know it.

Railwaygun

Test image ( iPhone 2.3mb, uploaded now 935kb) HIEC format ( I never knew that before! )

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

crewearpley40

works okay nick

thanks can clearly see a station - spot the location ?

Tank

Quote from: Lawrence on August 08, 2019, 09:01:46 PM
......my comments were designed to illicit a positive response

So you insult people to get a positive response.  That makes sense!

Paul started just over a week ago by tweaking settings for mobile phones.  Above my head as to what he did, but I know I adjusted some settings a couple of times and Paul did some more work on it today.  Thank you Paul. :thumbsup:

As I explained, I have purchased a new gallery for the forum which includes all kinds of wonderful things.  Sadly the author isn't being helpful with something that needs changing.  Having spent hundreds of pounds on it, I don't have the resources right now to have someone else finish it off for me, and I have added problems at home which have been going on for months.  I wish that there were simple Plugins, but SMF doesn't use them.  This is great for fully customising SMF forums, but tricky in other aspects.  Mainly at the moment that the gallery I bought is not to be customised, other than by the original author.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations