Forum Issues

Started by Tank, July 19, 2023, 05:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

port perran

I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

PLD

Quote from: NGFTech on September 02, 2023, 06:01:47 AMGreets. Is anyone getting Email notifications from the forum about new replies to posts, etc?
For threads that I have replied to since the Upgrade - YES
For threads that I last contributed to prior to the Upgrade - NO

It looks like when the upgrade was done, all notification settings defaulted to No-emails for all threads.
I have since changed my preferences to activate e-mails by default, but (as a universal option) it seemingly only becomes effective for an individual thread next time I contribute to that thread.
I probably could set notifications individually for others thread-by-thread, but really not that bothered...

Train Waiting

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bealman

Unfortunately these days, it's the only way I hear of reports.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Nbodger

Quote from: NGFTech on September 02, 2023, 06:01:47 AMGreets. Is anyone getting Email notifications from the forum about new replies to posts, etc?

After resetting for updates to two threads after the upgrade I did get updates but over probably the last three weeks these have ceased.

The upgrade did re-set all threads to no updates

The previous version didn't always send updates and then you would get a few old ones in a batch as though something / somebody had reset the system then updates resumed for a time

ntpntpntp

I got a load of notifications yesterday, mostly about stuff on the TINGS thread so it is working.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

It appears under the new server pics have to be under 1MB, which in these days of digital photography is, to my mind, ridiculous. I can't be ars bothered to keep resizing pics until they fit this demand. Not only that, but my laptop shows a pic at under 1MB yet the forum says 'No' (nod to 'Little Britain', there)
I appreciate the size of pics has to be limited owing to space but 1MB is too small IMHO and so I won't be posting pics from any shows I go to, like the Liverpool Show today

ntpntpntp

@Newportnobby sorry but I disagree. For viewing online on a forum such as this a 1Mb jpg is more than adequate for a decent sized image on a web page. It doesn't need to be huge pixel dimensions and super high quality, this isn't a photography site :) 

Looking at my recent gallery photos, Most are from 250Kb to 750Kb.  Taken on a simple 5mp camera and cropped/enhanced as desired before uploading.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Ed

To save space I always resize my pictures to 1500 pixels width as it usually reduces the file size from around 3 to 4 Mb to about 800Kb, and doesn't affect the quality when posting on a forum.

Ed

Train Waiting

As a courtesy to those with dodgy internet and suchlike, I always resize my picturinghams to round about 500 kilobytes.  Fresh from Mrs Poppingham's camera, they are often a couple of those megabyte-thingies in size.

Whilst I accept the picturinghams on my Poppingham thread set a Forum-best for awfulness, this is a consequence of my coarse modelling coupled to my dreadful photography and is not a result of my reducing them in size.

The following is a photograph of a photograph which is over fifty years old and was pinned up on the wall of the weigh-house seen in the picture.  Time, cigarette smoke and the Andrew Barclay 'Pug's' smoke have mellowed the original print.  It was reduced to 500 kilobytes, more or less, and looks good enough to me on the screen - better than the original!

It doesn't take long to reduce them.  I don't have any fancy-dancy programme to do this, it is just whatever the picture-looking-at software on my computer is.  Technically, it's not actually my computer as I don't have one, but that is another story.

With best wishes

John

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Dorsetmike

Quite a few sites limit images to 800pixels on the longest edge, depending on your photo editing software resizing should be a simple task, I've never had a problem doing it.
If you have images on an online site such as Flickr then just give a link
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

The average size of a pic from my camera is 2.5-3MB. I always resize them, not least to save space on my laptop and because my e mail limits what I can send to anyone.
I use 'Paint' to resize them using a reduction in the pixels.
On one particular pic from today I tried 4 times to resize it and finally got it down to 963kb but still the forum said it was more than 1MB. At that point I gave up ::)

AdeV

Pics straight out of my camera are about 7mb, which is a really dirty trick to play on a forum... Battling disk space is a constant problem online, where storage prices are significantly higher than one pays for a multi-terabyte hard disk. Don't forget that it also impacts the backup sizes too, so it's a double cost whammy.

I'm working on some gallery software for one of my forums, which currently uses either direct attachments, or an ancient and increasingly clunky Coppermine installation... One of the features I intend to have is an auto resize on upload, so forum runners don't need to restrict the upload itself (bandwidth is almost free these days), but the stored image will be a web friendly size. Obviously that makes it unsuitable for online storage of your original photos... But then, that's not what it's supposed to be  :)
Cheers!
Ade

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations