Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

pjlons83 CONGRATULATIONS
I think your wife might be tired as well so at least make her a cup of tea before you go to sleep. AND I agree the model will have to take a back burner .
I used to do radio controlled cars and boats but gave them up when my kids arrived and bought swings and climbing frames for them .
I then started back into N gauge railways once they were older as believe it or not it WAS  a cheaper hobby at the time fuel for the radio controlled boats and car was about £5 a gallon and a front axle £35 and tyres for the car were £20 a set ,my first Brand new loco from a real model shop £3-7-6d.
My youngest is a mum herself now but I think the scars on my wrist are still there where my wife dug her nails in calling me all the names under the sun ,when she was born .
We are still married after 36 years so I don't think she ment half of what she said at the time.
Bob Tidbury

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on October 18, 2018, 03:07:47 PM
for the boats and car was about £5 a gallon and a front axle £35 and tyres for the car were £20 a set

Wasn't that in the days when a bloke with a red flag walked in front of the car? @Bob Tidbury

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 18, 2018, 04:10:55 PM
Quote from: Bob Tidbury on October 18, 2018, 03:07:47 PM
for the boats and car was about £5 a gallon and a front axle £35 and tyres for the car were £20 a set

Wasn't that in the days when a bloke with a red flag walked in front of the car? @Bob Tidbury

:smiley-laughing: no that would have been 2/6d a gallon

Bob Tidbury

Actually I remember going into the garage to put a gallon of petrol in my Anglia 105  and all I had in my pocket was 5s and three old pennies the guy said 5s and four d  please so I told him when I looked last night it was only 5s 3d he said yes but it went up 1d last night  never mind you put a gallon in last night didn't you .
The reason I only put one gallon in was because the fuel gauge didn't work and the car was going in to have a new one fitted  when I got back from taking my Mum to Wycombe so she could go shopping .
Those were the days  and I had that Anglia for a good few years it even went up the old Porlock Hill fully loaded with four teenagers and camping gear I passed my driving test when I was eighteen, A brand new Austin 1100 didn't make it and had to reverse back down and take the new bypass road.
Enough of my ramblings for now.
Bob Tidbury

Bealman

They're cool ramblings, Bob.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

The talk of petrol prices, @Bob Tidbury  (5s 3d was late 1964/early 1965), made me have a google. The following may be of interest to some of us 'older motorists').
http://www.ukpia.com/docs/default-source/publication-files/ip-historical-series.pdf?sfvrsn=0
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

very interesting, the point that hits me straight away is the fact that we now pay for the fuel, be it petrol or diesel, plus duty [tax] then VAT [tax again] on the whole amount, so effectively we pay tax on tax.

thought that was illegal, but of course we are dealing with politicians.

Bealman

Happy thread.

Happy stuff?  ;) :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daveg

A gallon of petrol and twenty fags for 10 bob. Petrol 5/- and fags 4/11.

Benskins 'from the back' and brewed in Watford for 2/9 a pint.

Ah! Them was the days! Ignoring of course the fact that my pay for a 42 hour week was £8 before tax.  :)

Dave G

daffy

Quote from: daveg on October 19, 2018, 12:17:51 PM

Ah! Them was the days! Ignoring of course the fact that my pay for a 42 hour week was £8 before tax.  :)

Dave G

You were paid?  :o :goggleeyes: :o

;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

the good old days .... pay parade

"Jenkins"

march up, come to attention and salute

"Sir, 244"

notes & coins in left hand, sign pay sheet, salute again, about turn, and Foxtrot-Oscar.

:D

Snowwolflair

Quote from: class37025 on October 19, 2018, 03:03:56 PM

"Jenkins"

"Sir, 244"

notes & coins in left hand, sign pay sheet, salute again, about turn, and Foxtrot-Oscar.

don't joke that's how I got my pocket money :D

guest311

Quote from: Snowwolflair on October 19, 2018, 03:12:15 PM
Quote from: class37025 on October 19, 2018, 03:03:56 PM

"Jenkins"

"Sir, 244"

don't joke that's how I got my pocket money :D

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

talisman56

Things you remember. My first pay packet was £37.10 net for a week and the first time I filled the tank on my first car petrol was 37p a gallon...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

daveg

Quote from: daffy on October 19, 2018, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: daveg on October 19, 2018, 12:17:51 PM

Dave G

You were paid?  :o :goggleeyes: :o

;)

Had to bring me own candles and coal!  :D

Dave G

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82%