Farish buses start to arrive!

Started by Adam1701D, December 09, 2011, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlythStationLad

Best option for undersize vehicles is to place them towards the rear of the layout and away from anything that is to the correct scale.

I'm thinking of getting a Lodekka and repainting it in United red, then placing it under a bridge towards the rear of my layout - I was thinking of doing a bit of 'perspective' modelling there anyway.

Having said all that, is it not easier these days for manufacturers to get it right??? I don't understand how obvious dimensional errors can get through to the tooling and manufacturing process. Forget about the errors in dimensions of these vehicles being corrected: it would require brand new tooling and would not make economic sense.

H

Quote from: BlythStationLad on January 27, 2012, 09:12:32 AM
Best option for undersize vehicles is to place them towards the rear of the layout and away from anything that is to the correct scale.

I'm thinking of getting a Lodekka and repainting it in United red, then placing it under a bridge towards the rear of my layout - I was thinking of doing a bit of 'perspective' modelling there anyway.

To create a proper false perspective you need to make everything in that zone (the 'rear of the layout') to the reduced scale; so that means the roads, buildings, bridges, street furniture, figures and other vehicles. And, of course you can't run trains close by otherwise they'll destroy the illusion by appearing to be too big.

H.

EtchedPixels

Unless the trains are smaller too - didn't Copenhagen Fields experiment with T gauge in the back ?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Flakmunky

I've seen a OO layout with N in the background... In a RM Annual from when I was a kid. It looked ok in the photos, not sure what it would look like in RL.

But we are talking about a very small reduction in scale so I think it could work really well.

H

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 28, 2012, 10:18:13 PM
Unless the trains are smaller too - didn't Copenhagen Fields experiment with T gauge in the back ?

Yep, I have seen it although it appeared to be on display through a 'hole' in the backscene board. They weren't the first; back in the 70s/80s there was a large scenic N gauge layout with a Z gauge section high up in the hills at the rear.

H.

Elvinley

The one at Bewdley station did that if I remember correctly. That was an amazing layout.

woodbury22uk

I know these have been a long time coming, but today I picked up the first of the Leyland PD2s to be delivered. The photos are the Southdown and Trent liveries, and Leicester City is available. Picked up at Osborn's models when passing through Bideford today. Hurried photos taken with my iPad in subdued hotel room lighting. Before someone asks the inevitable scale question, I'll be getting out my trusty IKEA paper tape measure shortly. Ah well no IKEA tape so I folded some A4 paper into four and my length estimate is just under 50 mm - so shorter than 1/148 scale and close to 1/160 scale again.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

That's a shame, I won't be buying any based on the size issues. They do look good and I could have done with many of them to furnish my layout. 

Jamie

Bingley Hall

These are really nice looking models that bring back great memories. Shame about the scale issue, but it's not stopped me buying any of them.

Agrippa

They look quite nice,if they were parked at the back of a layout the
scale wouldn't be too obvious, now how about an N gauge
Inspector Blakey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50%