Original Poole Farish 101 in NSE

Started by Skyline2uk, September 28, 2013, 09:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Hello members of the N gauge Jedi council.

I beg your wisdom re the model named on this thread title.

I have came close to buying one of these a couple of times, and in hindsight might have spent too much had I succeeded.

I know the new 101 by Farish is far superior in detail and performance, but they are yet to announce one in NSE.

So, my questions:

1) How much should I pay for a good example. Assuming it runs well?
2) Is it possible using available parts to detail and improve the Poole model? Expensive or tricky for somebody who has NEVER done such a thing before?
3) Would I be better off getting a new example (3 coach) and seeking a method or company to re-spray into NSE?

Your advice will be gratefully received.

Skyline2uk

Dr Al

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 28, 2013, 09:34:56 PM
3) Would I be better off getting a new example (3 coach) and seeking a method or company to re-spray into NSE?

This is probably the best option - some of the liveries of 101s can be got fairly cheaply - such as the BR all Blue one.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Adam1701D

Why not pick up a cheap new-style 101 and get fit it with some old-style NSE bodies? The Farish NSE 101 shells are actually very well printed indeed but need a little detailing.

It could be quite a fun project to use the detail bits from the new shell onto the old one, such as exhausts and pipes and you could probably flog the unused new shells on eBay for a few quid later  :)
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Skyline2uk

QuoteWhy not pick up a cheap new-style 101 and get fit it with some old-style NSE bodies?

:hmmm: Are they old bodies not just basic lift-off types with minimal lugs / screws (if any) whilst the new ones have lights and wires and other gubbins?

If not, then great, but I am wary of spending cash on two models and having to butcher the newer one to fit the old body on?

How would your rate the difficulty of out, say, 5 spanners (the big spanner being me  :confused2:)?

Skyline2uk

Tank

I have two of the 3 car NSE units which haven't seen the light of day for about 7 years!!!! :worried:  They just don't fit with the area that I model.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations