Computer help

Started by Alex, June 28, 2013, 08:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Hi,

My daughter's keyboard has been acting up lately. When she types certain letters such as t, u, c and b either nothing happens or boxes appear on the screen.

She has Vista and everything has been fine until a few days ago. I've reset the keyboard to default settings but it's still the same. Even tried a new keyboard but still the same.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Alex

scotsoft

Has the setting for the keyboard been accidently changed from English?

Or has the language been changed in the settings?

It will be something daft like that Alex, get yourself into the Control Panel and check them  ;)

cheers John.

Alex

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I thought it must be something simple. I have reset the keyboard to default settings but it's still the same.

I'll dig a bit deeper tomorrow.

Alex :wave:

Tank

Try opening Notepad and seeing if these keys work. 

Windows is designed for 'Function Keys' so this might have been activated, but it won't work in Notepad.

If that doesn't help, then reboot and enter Safemode to see if it works. 

Also, is the keyboard covered in crumbs?!

Pengi

Maybe there is a problem with the keyboard driver. I think you can download them from Microsoft
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

MikeDunn

The fact that a different physical keyboard gives the same problem shows it is a Windows settings issue.

Assuming you have more than her account defined (you should never use the Admin account by default !  Always use a lower-privilege account as day-to-day usage), log into it - same problem ?  That account should have the default settings for the UK, and should be fine.

Back on her account, check the locale -  location should be UK, keyboard at English (UK).

Mike

Alex

Hi guys,

The problem lies within her account somewhere. The same thing happened with Notepad.

We've set up a new account and everything seems to be ok.

Thanks again,

Alex :wave:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations