Freightliner Class 66

Started by Paulwhitt20, June 28, 2018, 12:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulwhitt20

Hi,

I recently bought a Dapol Freightliner Powerhaul Class 66 which I like and wondered what would be a typical rake of wagons for it to pull.

I originally though intermodal containers, but I got a dapol spine wagon and I am not happy with the fiddley thin plastic bar that connects the two spine wagons together. Not easy to take on and off the track and I have managed to break one part already. Are there any intermodal wagons that don't have this silly bar coupling the pairs of wagons, or is there some other form of wagons I could make a train out of.

Thanks
Paul

Ben A

Hello Paul,

It depends how accurate you want to be.

On the real railway, Freightliner run a mixed fleet of intermodal wagons comprising FEAs (as depicted by Dapol), FTA/FSA (not available in N), KTA pocket wagons (RTR under development by C Rail), KFA (about to go into production by Revolution) Megafrets (available from Dapol) and a small number of Eco-frets and FLA low riding wagons (neither available in N.)

Both the FEAs and Megafrets are twins, and use the bar coupler that you dislike.

Farish do an intermodal twin wagon that depicts the FIA Multifret, but as far as I know these are only in use with DB, for intermodal, steel and automotive traffic.

However, the Farish model runs well in my experience, and has a slightly more user-friendly inner bar coupler arrangement.

Having said that, I have used the bar coupler on FEA-Bs and Megafrets without too much difficulty - what's the problem you're having?

Cheers

Ben A.

bluedepot

what about some aggregates, coal or biomass hoppers?

freightliner have some other freight flows, not just containers.

someone here will know what hoppers you could buy in n.

Tim

Steven B

Paulwhitt20

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I have a JJA hopper with generator that I got cheap, and now realise why it was cheap. Need to find four more non generator units, but that would make a good train.

I dislike the spine car coupling as I broke the plastic underneath that holds the bar in place when connected and think it is all to easy for them to come uncoupled.

Thanks
Paul

njee20

HHA coal hoppers, Lafarge JPA bogie cement wagons, or PCA cement wagons are also options. All Farish products. There are also HIA and MJA aggregate wagons, forthcoming from Dapol.

Intercity

For something different you could run it on a rail tour.

Did they get used on HST coach moves or MU deliveries with barrier vehicles?

njee20

Certainly not routine. It may have happened on occasion.

crewearpley40

njee20

They're all GBRF, I think all the Freightliner 66s are 66/5s

crewearpley40

just to show it has been done

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30%