Model Railway Hobby Costs

Started by Tdm, September 18, 2015, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

As I started this thread, I thought it about time I made another contributory post about the subject matter.

It's been interesting reading all the replies and different opinons, didn't think there would be so many.

I started in N gauge in Tenerife in August 2013 when I bought a load of track from Dutfields "cabin" in Chemsford whilst I was visiting my daughter who lives there. My 1st 2 locos were birthday/Xmas presents that year from my son who purchased them from ModelZone in Chester in a Sale just before they went Bankrupt.

In total in 2013 I spent £1,490 on my new hobby (mainly on a Morley Controller & rolling stock and scenic items from Hattons). In 2014 spending rose to £2,807 (mostly on-line mail order items - but VAT Free).

This year to-date I have spent £1,052, and now have about 30 locos in all (steam & diesel).

To put this last figure into perspective below is a Graph of all our recurring 2015 expenditure costs to the end of August, which excludes "property" costs (eg. rates, water, electric, maintenance etc.) and credit card payments which I use mainly just for model railway purchases.

The bulk of the "Leisure" cost shown below is going out for meals (which we do a lot) or any other entertainment, including drinks at the Bar, and the "Personal" cost figure covers such things as Dental & Medical Insurance, clothes and other purchases etc.

Note these costs are all in Euros whereas model railway costs are in £s Sterling.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Chris m on September 20, 2015, 08:07:53 PM

Re wagon costs - I don't think trains have to be scale length to look right. For instance a 7 or 8 coach train problaly looks more the part on most layouts than a proper length 11 coach train. I find a 20 wagon freight train looks ok.

Just from curiosity how many of us have a long enough layout for more anyway?
Taking British prototype, and Mk1 or 2 coaches: 11 coaches, plus main line loco, in N = around 6 feet while a '60 for length' (based on SWB wagons) freight train would be around double that.
To look good therefore a layout would have to be at least double the length of the train (in my opinion, otherwise it looks cramped) and how many of us have runs of 24 feet (at least) on the scenic parts of the baseboard?
And if we go to genuine prototype lengths for todays freightliner or stone trains then you are going to '100 for length' or around 20 (real) feet for the train alone.
So yes, I'm with you Chris, 7 to 8 coaches or 20 - 25 SWB wagons looks about right in my view.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

railsquid

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on September 21, 2015, 01:39:39 AM
Quote from: Chris m on September 20, 2015, 08:07:53 PM

Re wagon costs - I don't think trains have to be scale length to look right. For instance a 7 or 8 coach train problaly looks more the part on most layouts than a proper length 11 coach train. I find a 20 wagon freight train looks ok.

Just from curiosity how many of us have a long enough layout for more anyway?
Taking British prototype, and Mk1 or 2 coaches: 11 coaches, plus main line loco, in N = around 6 feet while a '60 for length' (based on SWB wagons) freight train would be around double that.
To look good therefore a layout would have to be at least double the length of the train (in my opinion, otherwise it looks cramped) and how many of us have runs of 24 feet (at least) on the scenic parts of the baseboard?
And if we go to genuine prototype lengths for todays freightliner or stone trains then you are going to '100 for length' or around 20 (real) feet for the train alone.
So yes, I'm with you Chris, 7 to 8 coaches or 20 - 25 SWB wagons looks about right in my view.

As the longest run I have is 3 metres (ca. 10 feet), I decided long ago to standardize on 3/4 coach rakes (or the equivalent in wagons). Not everyone's cup of tea maybe but has the added benefit of enabling me to acquire a wider variety of rakes without costing toooo much.

paulprice

I have just thought of a simple way of reducing my spend on the hobby, I will ban myself from Ebay, Models shops, Exhibitions, Swapmeets (do these still exist?), and model magazines, and rely upon loved ones to maybe provide additions to my stock through lovingly bought presents.

Err hang on if previous experience is anything to go on, I will just get a load of "lynx" smelly sets, yes other brands of spray Cat :censored: is available.............I guess that means I better take up another hobby like knitting of crochet.................. :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Bealman

Yeah those Lynx products haven't got the same cardboard boxes that Brut have. I've had a discussion on here before about how Brut boxes provide excellent scratch building material.  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

paulprice

Quote from: Bealman on September 21, 2015, 07:37:29 AM
Yeah those Lynx products haven't got the same cardboard boxes that Brut have. I've had a discussion on here before about how Brut boxes provide excellent scratch building material.  :D

Brut, that was something my Grandfather used, being a young and trendy chap I had to google it to see what it actually was, apparently you can still see it in museums, and I also found out that TV's were black and white  :sorrysign:

Chris Morris

Quote from: paulprice on September 21, 2015, 07:30:16 AM
I have just thought of a simple way of reducing my spend on the hobby, I will ban myself from Ebay, Models shops, Exhibitions, Swapmeets (do these still exist?), and model magazines, and rely upon loved ones to maybe provide additions to my stock through lovingly bought presents.

Err hang on if previous experience is anything to go on, I will just get a load of "lynx" smelly sets, yes other brands of spray Cat :censored: is available.............I guess that means I better take up another hobby like knitting of crochet.................. :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I just give people the my hattons wish list. This has worked very well but I have now run out of socks!
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

railsquid

Quote from: Chris m on September 21, 2015, 07:57:42 AM

I just give people the my hattons wish list. This has worked very well but I have now run out of socks!

Did the list include 6 Dapol Class 27s?

D1042 Western Princess

:laughabovepost:

Or, as happened to me once - a much loved aunt (now long deceased) got me 'a new engine for my train set'.
An LMS liveried OO sized Hornby Jinty. I'd just gone into N, BR blue all diesel  ::) .... but, oh well,  they do say it's the thought that counts.
Counting on relatives to 'get it right' doesn't always work, Paul.

steve836

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on September 21, 2015, 08:37:11 AM

:laughabovepost:

Or, as happened to me once - a much loved aunt (now long deceased) got me 'a new engine for my train set'.
An LMS liveried OO sized Hornby Jinty. I'd just gone into N, BR blue all diesel  ::) .... but, oh well,  they do say it's the thought that counts.
Counting on relatives to 'get it right' doesn't always work, Paul.

Yes, relatives are not a reliable source. Of my four adult children only my eldest girl can be relied on to choose something I want (despite giving out a wish list) and I suspect that's because she is into dolls houses and understands that you want things that fit what you are modelling. The other three seldom get me a present I really want, one tries and usually gets me something like a steam-train ride or similar, one gives cash (always useful) the other usually gets something for SWMBO and calls it a joint present (cant quite see how that's supposed to work).
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

njee20

I think one of the big advantages of model railways as a hobby is that there needn't be any ongoing expenditure.

Yes, you can spend thousands on long rakes of the latest wagons, and the entire class 66 fleet by CJM, but equally you can draw a line under things at any time and have minimal expenditure thereafter.

If I think about my other hobby - cycling - there is a pretty substantial ongoing outlay required to keep participating. This is directly proportional to the amount you spend in the first place too (and puts it vaguely in line with cars). Whilst that CJM fleet can be an 'indulgent' purchase with no further investment required, the spares needed to keep a £10,000 push bike running are vastly more expensive, and no less frequently needed than on a £500 bike.

That's not to mention entry fees, food, petrol, hotel expenses etc etc.

paulprice

I've just had a brainwave, and they say I'm an idiot.........if we all adopt a modeller from here, we can all buy each other something useful and train related for Birthdays and Christmas and then the problem will be sorted.

That way when the evil Domestic Overlords comment of the purchase of trains, we can say it not for me its for NOBBO its his birthday.........YES I AM A GENIUS, now in the next five minutes I reckon I can fix the worlds economic crisis.......

Webbo

Quote from: njee20 on September 21, 2015, 10:04:15 AM
I think one of the big advantages of model railways as a hobby is that there needn't be any ongoing expenditure.

Yes, you can spend thousands on long rakes of the latest wagons, and the entire class 66 fleet by CJM, but equally you can draw a line under things at any time and have minimal expenditure thereafter.

If I think about my other hobby - cycling - there is a pretty substantial ongoing outlay required to keep participating. This is directly proportional to the amount you spend in the first place too (and puts it vaguely in line with cars). Whilst that CJM fleet can be an 'indulgent' purchase with no further investment required, the spares needed to keep a £10,000 push bike running are vastly more expensive, and no less frequently needed than on a £500 bike.

That's not to mention entry fees, food, petrol, hotel expenses etc etc.

I have yet to meet a model railroader who stops buying locos and rolling stock after he/she has acquired what is 'needed'. This behaviour assumes a level of rationality and personal control which I believe is beyond most of us.

However, I do agree that following model railways can be relatively cheap compared to some other hobbies or pursuits.

As an alternative to Paul's suggested strategy, when my wife remarks on the arrival of parcels, I remind her of my desire to buy a motorcycle.

Webbo 

Newportnobby

I've trained my lot to give me vouchers for my favourite box shifter which helps hugely with my pre orders and also avoids getting pressies which are hopelessly 'wrong'. Let's face it, unless you're a railway buff no one understands eras/liveries/locations :no:

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: paulprice on September 21, 2015, 10:11:54 AM
I've just had a brainwave, and they say I'm an idiot.........if we all adopt a modeller from here, we can all buy each other something useful and train related for Birthdays and Christmas and then the problem will be sorted.

That way when the evil Domestic Overlords comment of the purchase of trains, we can say it not for me its for NOBBO its his birthday.........YES I AM A GENIUS, now in the next five minutes I reckon I can fix the worlds economic crisis.......

:claphappy: Brilliant - you are a genius ....  :thumbsup:  :beers:

:hmmm: Just one tiny fly in the ointment, so far as I can see.

4000+ members...let's say 2000 sign up to this plan and all think " :doh: I know, 'Member X', he's into Outer Mongolian Victorian narrow gauge railways so I'll get him a kit of one of their 'Genghis Khan' 6-2-6 express goods engines"  :D and member X has a 4'x1' shunting plank layout! :-[ ::)

Oh well, it's the thought what counts they say; back to the drawing board!  :wave: 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations