geting the young involed

Started by kevin141, September 04, 2011, 01:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poliss

Lionel brought out a train in 1957 that they thought would attract girls to the hobby. It wasn't a sucess.  ;D
http://www.ibuyoldtrains.com/Lionel%201587s%20Pink%20Girls%20Train.htm

bluedepot

maybe the 'yoof' of today that like trains prefer rail sim games to models? you still collect all the trains and routes, but drive them as well.... it's just more hi tec and more 'normal' because it's a computer game and not a hobby mostly attracting older men???

anyway...

i guess now the hobby is primarily for adults, those who have the money, time, enjoy collecting etc etc...

tim

poliss

From looking at Hornby's results I'd say most 'train sets' are still given to youngsters for Xmas presents.

Lawrence

I think you should point your grand daughter here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2688.0 and get her to invest her pocket money wisely  ;)

findus

I think its down to the parents, my little girls loves getting out with her daddy to see thomas the tank at didcot.
she also loves to get mummy to come out on the odd train spot through newbury.

Getting the young involved would be easy if there were more cost effective sets and if the yoof of today did not see it as a geek hobbie unlike football and computer games.

i have always liked trains and how the work but never had anywhere to let this out hence i gave up and got the latest vid game.

i think clubs should have an all adult night and a childrens night where the more basic models are left for the children to play with or do a bring your own loco and help build basic layout once the learn the basics and see how fun and "normal" it can be, then we have them hooked.

just my thoughts on the subject.

Pengi

Quote from: captainelectra on September 04, 2011, 05:41:35 PM
A lot of youngsters like the contemporary liveries I have on my stand, so having something they can relate to is good. A layout needs to have lots going on - trains moving, intresting scenery, to really engage the young.

Whilst the more seasoned modeller might love to watch an superbly modelled finescale shunting plank, it may not hold much interest for the younger potential modeller.

Recent developments like DCC sound, digital control from a PC and working lights alh help. The big manufacturers need to look at more appealing starter sets. Hornby have a good range of "sexy" prototypes in 4mm, such as the Javelin, Eurostar and Pendolino, as well as favourites like Mallard and Scotsman. Farish's starter sets with a green 25 or BR V2 seem a little dowdy by comparison.

Just found this topic. Captain Electra - I agree with everything you are saying! I got into OO originally rather than N because of Pendolino and Javelin on the horizon. IMHO, if Kato or Tomix were to put together a starter set with one of the iconic trains listed above and elevated sections and sell it on QVC or Ideal World it would make a mint - and not just with kids either. Bachmann have advertised their starter sets on their site but the Voyager set is only available in OO.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

longbridge

I don't think there is any need to worry about kids getting involved in the model railway hobby, personally I think it just takes some involvement with a train to get them thinking, like a seed from a tree that can lie dormant for years and suddenly start sprouting a shoot.

It doesn't have to be an electric train to get kids started, it can be as simple as a push along Thomas or maybe a few Thomas DVDs but the seed is planted that might get people started in the hobby years later.

We tend to think its railway enthusiasts that visit Preserved Railways but nothing could be further from the truth, I can only speak for Australia but there are loads of kids that ride steam trains with their parents and usually where you find a steam train you find a model that catches kids eyes.

Here in Brisbane we have "The Workshops Rail Museum", it covers the history of everything from steam to diesel and also has a massive model railway, kids have a playground where they can ride push along trains and there are plenty of steam train rides on restored Queensland Railways steamers, they have special weekends for Thomas, Bob the Builder and a dozen other things and these weekends can be very busy, there is something going on all the time, from this I feel sure budding model railway modellers will develop.

Here is a link to this great Museum.

http://www.theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au/
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Adam1701D

Dapol will soon have the potential to do a Flying Scotsman or Mallard train set with a few Gresleys in tow. Just add some Kato or Tomix track and they could be onto a winner!
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

red_death

I agree with Mr Bug.  Kids need a spark of interest, but in terms of longer term interest and attracting modellers it is people in 20s-60s who have the money.

Models, particularly so for N, have always been relatively expensive - as a teenager I could never afford any of the models I wanted, so I relied on Mr Claus and his elves for new locos/stock. 

Pengi

Quote from: captainelectra on November 22, 2011, 08:44:25 PM
Dapol will soon have the potential to do a Flying Scotsman or Mallard train set with a few Gresleys in tow. Just add some Kato or Tomix track and they could be onto a winner!
Having never had a Dapol loco, I don't know what the couplings are like. I do know that the Farish Voyager and Kato Eurostar couplings are extremely fiddly and could be a source of problems for kids impatient to get their train running. I have a second hand Kato Nozomi 500 and the couplings are brilliant and would be suitable for kids.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

EtchedPixels

Really I think the answer is to decide that it's morally reprehensible, causes violence in kids and should be condemned by a bunch of overpaid nuts in Westminster

Works for computer games...

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-12/2427

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

kevin141

WOW
I really started something here lots of  good ideas ,lets pass the word at shows e.t.c.and pass on ideas on to manufacturer,s so of what has been said is east enough to do.My bit to the cause will be to run my layout at a show using my laptop coumpter i know it is already done by some but we can show we are up with some of young .Any thought about using one of the games counsels for railway control over two the group

kevin141
Good dinner

Lawrence

Quote from: Pendy on November 23, 2011, 07:01:44 AM
Quote from: captainelectra on November 22, 2011, 08:44:25 PM
Having never had a Dapol loco, I don't know what the couplings are like. I do know that the Farish Voyager and Kato Eurostar couplings are extremely fiddly and could be a source of problems for kids impatient to get their train running. I have a second hand Kato Nozomi 500 and the couplings are brilliant and would be suitable for kids.

It's a good job I don't like Shinkansens or we may need a jealous smilie  ;)

As for getting the kids involved, there is no perfect solution I'm afraid all anyone can do is expose them to the world of model railways at an early enough age where they can appreciate the investment that has gone into the layout they are about to maul, but still find sufficient enjoyment in participating in playing trains.

Whilst I am not a fan of clubs they could, once or twice a year, have a "juniors" evening where the so called grown ups take a back seat and are there only in an advisory capacity and to ensure safety.  Also many schools have open evenings why not get the local club to take a layout along or get themselves a mention in the school newsletter.

Having attended a couple of clubs briefly to see if I fancied joining, I don't the kids are the issue, it is the adults! either those running the clubs or getting parents off their bahookies to take the kids along in the first place

malfoy

I think the amount of time you need for this hobby is a deterrent to today's youths taking it up seriously!

findus

Quote from: malfoy on December 09, 2011, 10:28:31 AM
I think the amount of time you need for this hobby is a deterrent to today's youths taking it up seriously!

Time? how many of these youths hanging around on street corners doing nothing they have plenty of time, its the lack of brain cells and a poor child hood with no encouragement for imagination.

reading that back i sound pretty angry! im not  ;D well not at you and your comment anyway  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations