What is your favourite British Steam Locomotive of all time?

Started by SymonC, May 24, 2011, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GB No.9

I expect you have all heard the real name of those things -
"diseasels"
,,,,,,, >> runs to hide behind GB No9 ,,,,>>

:)
Malcolm.

Thats fine................. but not TOO close!!   ;) :smiley-laughing:
"I have a cunning plan.............. so cunning you could put whiskers on it and call it a fox"

North of England Line  (aka Scarworth Junction)
North of England Line 2 (Scarlington )

Corncrake

Quote from: GB No.9 on October 12, 2011, 11:56:04 PM
LOL!
A)Yes indeed, quite so !
or
B)You're not in favour of close coupling then ?  :evil:

H

Q) What is your favourite British Steam Locomotive of all time?

A) None really. Or perhaps the 'last' one knowing that the future would be brighter.  :evil:  Oh, okay, perhaps a Dean Goods, Q1 or I3.

(ducks and runs for cover)  :smiley-laughing:

H.

GB No.9

Quote from: Corncrake on October 13, 2011, 12:25:23 AM
Quote from: GB No.9 on October 12, 2011, 11:56:04 PM
LOL!
A)Yes indeed, quite so !
or
B)You're not in favour of close coupling then ?  :evil:

No......... DEFINITELY NOT............ especially with the vacuum brake pipe connected! :angel:   ;)
"I have a cunning plan.............. so cunning you could put whiskers on it and call it a fox"

GB No.9

Quote from: H on October 13, 2011, 06:20:51 AM
Q) What is your favourite British Steam Locomotive of all time?

A) None really. Or perhaps the 'last' one knowing that the future would be brighter.  :evil:  Oh, okay, perhaps a Dean Goods, Q1 or I3.

(ducks and runs for cover)  :smiley-laughing:

H.

Lets be practical for a minute................ :o
Which is of most use.................? A kettle ............or a shoe box??   

Tea anyone................?? ;D

4x2

Just to be serious for a moment... If you've ever been in the first coach behind a great steam engine (lets say a S&D 7F) and stuck your head out of the window as the driver attacks a gradient at speed - it's a hell of a rush ! The same can almost be said of Diesels (let's say a western), the roar of the engines and the whistle of the turbos is also highly addictive - but what ruins it for the diesels is the smell ! :thumbsdown: I can't imagine ever getting emotional over diesel fumes ! The sound yes, but not the smell... ;D
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Sithlord75

Quote from: R M Williams on September 06, 2011, 11:07:07 PM
For sheer brute power, mine would be a Beyer Garratt 2-6-0 + 0-6-2.  So ugly, it's beautiful.  I know there is a white metal kit (Langley?) available, but I think it's a bit out of my skill set.  I'd be straight out with cash-card if anyone ever produces a RTR N gauge model. I notice that Hattons have details on their site of a forthcoming OO release, so I'll live in hope.

The only challenging bit with the Garrett is reversing the gear on one end - and I am sure you could find someone at your local MRC who could do that for you.  The rest is straight forward (says he with 2!)
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Sithlord75 on October 14, 2011, 07:16:36 AM
For sheer brute power, mine would be a Beyer Garratt 2-6-0 + 0-6-2.  So ugly, it's beautiful.  I know there is a white metal kit (Langley?) available, but I think it's a bit out of my skill set.  I'd be straight out with cash-card if anyone ever produces a RTR N gauge model. I notice that Hattons have details on their site of a forthcoming OO release, so I'll live in hope.

The only challenging bit with the Garrett is reversing the gear on one end - and I am sure you could find someone at your local MRC who could do that for you.  The rest is straight forward (says he with 2!)

Yeah I'd agree with that. I've been building one recently that I acquired in a box of white metal kits. The spaghetti adjustment is fiddly and one or two other bits need some care in assembly but the rest is ok. The paint job is also not too hard, although I still need to number and varnish the one I've built.

No idea what I'm going to do with it, possibly run a highly "rule 1" preserved garrett (now wouldn't that have been the killer railtour....)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

R M Williams

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 14, 2011, 10:42:45 PM
Quote from: Sithlord75 on October 14, 2011, 07:16:36 AM

But then of course I'd want to get it converted to DCC...

Yeah I'd agree with that. I've been building one recently that I acquired in a box of white metal kits. The spaghetti adjustment is fiddly and one or two other bits need some care in assembly but the rest is ok. The paint job is also not too hard, although I still need to number and varnish the one I've built.

No idea what I'm going to do with it, possibly run a highly "rule 1" preserved garrett (now wouldn't that have been the killer railtour....)

Richard

EtchedPixels

That actually doesn't look too hard - the centre of the mid section of the kit is hollow so there is plenty of room in there for a decoder feeding the two motors (and providing its sufficiently rated it will drive two at once although back EMF may be less effective). I think you'd get sound in with a speaker below the central section.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Sailor Charon

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 15, 2011, 11:53:47 AM
That actually doesn't look too hard - the centre of the mid section of the kit is hollow so there is plenty of room in there for a decoder feeding the two motors (and providing its sufficiently rated it will drive two at once although back EMF may be less effective). I think you'd get sound in with a speaker below the central section.

You certainly can get sound in. Although where you'd find the samples from I'm not sure. But yes, that's how it would be done.
I just keep trying to get a little better
Said a little better than before

GrahamUK33

Newportnobby

Quote from: GrahamUK33 on November 05, 2011, 03:46:44 PM
My favourite loco has got to be the King Class (Great Western) just like this one http://www.youtube.com/grahamuk33#p/u/16/lFQRR4anutU

Nice one, Graham. A thing of beauty :thumbsup: Unusual train formation as well, almost as if it was going to be split at some point.

Cunimb

I have read through the thread and my all time favourite loco has only been mentioned once.
When I were a lad (cue music) a Q1 visited Chichester and turned in the Y reversing siding, it has been my first love ever since......  Ugly ducklings have their own beauty!
Closely followed by the unrebuilt West Country, three down and three up every day, the only steam locos I saw.
However, probably the most beautiful loco built anywhere in the world has got to be Stanier's Duchess'.
I will now hide behind the sofa and await retribution! Be gentle, I'm a newbie!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations