What is your favourite British Steam Locomotive of all time?

Started by SymonC, May 24, 2011, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan Clapp

oh dear, so many to choose from ! Im going to have to go through a short list :)

I guess I really like older smaller engines best, tank engines possibly with outside frames best of all.
the Sharp's single driver type is certainly high on my list. I especially like to see the various rebuilds, the GN had a number of them rebuilt into tank engines, which are very attractive.

Along similar lines the SE "Small Scotchmen" might take the prize.

Mansell's Gunboat class on the SE might also be the one.

http://www.victorianweb.org/technology/railways/42.html

cudders

Well I like all the classics like most but the J50 gets my vote.

Cracking tank locos..

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Sithlord75

I have often pondered this and I think the answer lies in what I would build in 1:10 scale if I had the beer tokens - 45565 "Victoria".  Slightly more beautiful than a Black 5 but not quite as hulking, brute strength of a Duchess - and can usefully be used on a range of model trains without looking silly.  Besides, I was born in Victoria!
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Gooders

Difficult to choose one, but I've always had a soft spot for 4Fs... and Jubilees... and...
I wanted to invent an engine that could run for ever. I could have developed a new train had I stayed in the railway. It would have looked like the AK-47 though. - Mikhail Kalashnikov

longbridge

Quote from: Gooders on August 12, 2011, 03:15:48 PM
Difficult to choose one, but I've always had a soft spot for 4Fs... and Jubilees... and...

I agree 100% but also include the Midland Compound, used to see all these beauties on New St Station when I was a kid.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Roy L S

Not easy to seperate my fave four but if pushed to: -

1) Gresley A4 (Please BachFarish make this next!).
2) Thompson B1
3) Gresley A3
4) Gresley V2

Yep unashamedly all LNER.

Fave liveries all BR of course!

Roy

Gooders

Quote from: oldrailbug on August 12, 2011, 09:05:17 PM
I agree 100% but also include the Midland Compound, used to see all these beauties on New St Station when I was a kid.
... Midland Compounds... Black 5s... Crabs... 8Fs... 3Fs... that'll do I think.
I wanted to invent an engine that could run for ever. I could have developed a new train had I stayed in the railway. It would have looked like the AK-47 though. - Mikhail Kalashnikov

LMScat

8f...Black5...Crab and Duchess
All in their LMS liveries of course,none of this BR tomfoolery  :P
**ducks**

MTSI Rail

LMSR Unrebuilt Patriot 5538 'Giggleswick' - the first 'namer' I ever recorded seeing sometime in the 1940's. Closely followed by Jubilee's, then most things ex-LNWR and ex-Midland. Biggest regret- - I never managed to see the last Claughton (LMSR 6004) which was one of the progenitors of my favourite Patriot - completing the circle.

painbrook

Quote from: MTSI Rail on August 27, 2011, 08:50:38 PM
LMSR Unrebuilt Patriot 5538 'Giggleswick' - the first 'namer' I ever recorded seeing sometime in the 1940's. Closely followed by Jubilee's, then most things ex-LNWR and ex-Midland. Biggest regret- - I never managed to see the last Claughton (LMSR 6004) which was one of the progenitors of my favourite Patriot - completing the circle.
Must agree with you plus any L/R locos .
For the other companies , GWR Castles .  Southern Schools . Lner V2 .
Still got a soft spot for Thomas and James etc .. ( of a certain age ) . Cheers john .

Jonny

Mine are

Staniers Duchess, jubilee. Black five.

Then the Scots and Patriots

Come on Farish or Dapol let's have a new tooled detailed Duchess streamlined and non and for some the last two built Duchess to Ivatt specs .

Jon
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Portpatrick

For me it will always be the Duchess pacific - in maroon.

Way back in 1962 this young boy was taken loco spotting by his Dad.  The morning was spent at Euston.  The highlight was City of Coventry.  She had been cleaned within the last couple of days and looked magnificent.  She started the 14 maron coaches of the Lakes Express and stormed off up Camden Bank with no slipping.  Amazing.

Later that day a grinmy A4 at Kings X slipped and struggled with 11 coaches  into the tunnels. 

Well such things leave an impression!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Portpatrick on August 30, 2011, 07:43:56 PM

Later that day a grinmy A4 at Kings X slipped and struggled with 11 coaches  into the tunnels. 

Well such things leave an impression!

IMHO the kings of slipping are the Bulleid pacifics - Happy times at Waterloo :thumbsup:

4x2

Mine's easy... Look to the left of my post... ;D

Also, Midland compound 1000, Jubilee 'Leander', GWR 111 'The Great Bear', SR Schools - I also have a soft spot for industial tank engines, the weirder the better !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Mustermark

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations