How do you have your auction lots sent to you?

Started by Buffin, March 05, 2019, 11:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: njee20 on March 05, 2019, 03:29:59 PM
But if the item is no longer available new, then that's moot.

I respect your point of view. You're prepared to pay more than the average for something that you badly want. I'm quite sure you respect my view that for me nothing is worth paying more than the value I've placed on it. Obviously, we value things differently. I see the same phenomena in the art world, although art and most collectibles are a bit different. People are competing for one of a kind items in the art world. There is a similarity, though. The art world and the market for "collectables" are based more on the immediate desire for fulfilment. The world is awash with wonderful fine art at really low prices, but competition to have the item everyone else wants creates an artificial value which from time to time (like the stock market) plunges - creating winners and losers. I would be the loser, I'm afraid, so I don't take a lot of risks. The locomotive that is no longer in the shops, but is available in an auction, will be available again - many more times. I'll wait for the right price! In the meantime, though, I should admit to paying far too much for far too many things. I'm 80 and don't have time to wait for the essentials I need to finish my steam era layout. In my view, however, that doesn't alter the real value of the items I've purchased. You are right, however. The bottom line is that worth is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for a stimulating conversation and my apologies for commandeering this thread!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Doc Pye

I would just get a courier to collect the item and deliver it to you. DPD is good enough. Avoid Hermes, as what they don't break/damage they lose! You can use Parcel Monkey to compare rates: https://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/services/dpd-pickup

Buffin

Thanks, that's an interesting site to know. However, they would have to go to the auction house and box the lot up, and this doesn't seem to be a service they offer.

I could see myself using it next time I want to send a parcel, though.

njee20

Yes apologies for the hijack!

Parcel Monkey is good, as is Parcel 2 Go, but as you say they won't package it - you really are at the mercy of their 'partner' couriers, or the goodwill of someone local.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations