TINGS-Special offer- one person only!

Started by petercharlesfagg, August 11, 2014, 08:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

I have made this offer to 2 of our friends but have heard nothing so I will make it public!

Since I am resident in the middle of the country within easy reach of TINGS 2014, I would like to make this offer.

If you are travelling from either down South or from up North and would like to save some money plus have longer to enjoy TINGS on the Saturday, my wife and I would be happy to accommodate you for the night.

I am willing to collect you in Banbury railway station on the Friday, give you somewhere to rest, transport you to the venue for opening time on the Saturday and then return you to Banbury railway station for your journey home.

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Bealman

What a great gesture! Peter you are a legend. I wish TINGS had been on a couple of months ago... I'd have been knockin' on your door.

Guess it's too late to book a flight from Australia....   ;D

Good on ya, mate.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NeMo

An astonishingly kind offer. You're legend material indeed!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

d-a-n

Nice one Peter, I expect you've just made someones TINGS plans a lot smoother!

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

petercharlesfagg

Friends, thankyou for your comments but is no big deal!

You might be aware that I have been a woodturner for the past 22 years and during that time I founded a club on the "Isle of Wight"  "Wight Woodturners".

Being an island it was difficult to get professional demonstrators to talk to us unless we paid for hotel accommodation, which was prohibitive!

Since moving to the Midlands a similar situation arises and in the 7 years we have lived here visiting turners from both the UK and abroad have been made welcome in our home for the duration of their needs!

I like to help if I can, I am not rich, unfortunately, but what I can do is share what I have with others, therefore the offer.

Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

PLD

A generous gesture, And I don't want to put you off, but do have to add a note of caution: in this day and age, I do have to wonder if you are either brave or foolish to invite complete strangers into your home without any means of vetting them in advance or tracing them afterwards... Sadly, even in the finest communities there is the odd bad apple...

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: PLD on August 11, 2014, 10:32:43 PM
A generous gesture, And I don't want to put you off, but do have to add a note of caution: in this day and age, I do have to wonder if you are either brave or foolish to invite complete strangers into your home without any means of vetting them in advance or tracing them afterwards... Sadly, even in the finest communities there is the odd bad apple...

Thankyou for your concern, sadly I am both brave and foolish, you can also add slightly mad because there is nothing in my home worth stealing, if they murder me in my bed then I still have plenty to look forward to!  (IF (a big if) you have a belief, then death is of minor importance)

Joking aside, over the years, we have entertained 23 people in our home, some of whom we had never met, seen or heard of before, we have ceased to worry ourselves about possible consequences, bad apples there are aplenty in this corrupt world, you just have to look for the good in others!

Are you REALLY saying that we have bad apples in the "N" gauge forum?  :hmmm:

Regards, Peter.

Bealman

Well, Peter, I rolled up on Sprintex's doorstep back in June, sight unseen, and it was cool. In fact, it was one of the highlights of me trip.  :thumbsup:

Thanks again, Paul and Clare!  :beers:

Sprintex

Newportnobby

Well spoken, Peter :claphappy:

It's true there are those out there in the world who would take advantage of such an offer but using the 'Strangers are just friends I haven't met yet' adage we can't pre-judge folks or we'd never make friends :no:

Bealman

daveg

A more than generous offer backed up by a great philosophy.

Dave G

Dock Shunter

Quote from: PLD on August 11, 2014, 10:32:43 PM

Ah but how do we Know Peter isn't some kind of Sweeney Todd character who,when you sit down to Dinner presses a button and a trap door  opens and you are tipped into the cellar were Peters layout is,and he wont let you go until you have wired up the layout....... :o :D :D

Seriously though.Would have taken up the offer myself Peter, because you sound like a great chap.... :thumbsup:
Glad to see some people still have faith in the human race.
Hope to meet you at TINGS......

:beers:...Ste....... :NGaugersRule:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations