AMR hand held controllers - possible issue

Started by Newportnobby, January 04, 2024, 10:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nbodger

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 05, 2024, 02:15:54 PMI'll raise it at next week's meeting, Ed, but from what I've seen no one else in the N gauge section has anything remotely modern!! That's why I took some 'out of the norm' things along
Anything I've taken by Farish or Dapol has been fine.

Mick, A Photograph of my old AMR Controller, showing the switch to the top and its label detailing the switch positions.

The first Farish locomotive I found problems with on Feedback was the then newly released V2.

Steven B

Quote from: Ed on January 05, 2024, 01:51:43 PMLoco's ain't cheap and I doubt the club has any insurance to cover members rolling stock.

I'd be worried if the club didn't have insurance that covered member's models whilst on the premises.

Steven B

PLD

Quote from: Nbodger on January 05, 2024, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on January 05, 2024, 02:15:54 PMI'll raise it at next week's meeting, Ed, but from what I've seen no one else in the N gauge section has anything remotely modern!! That's why I took some 'out of the norm' things along
Anything I've taken by Farish or Dapol has been fine.

Mick, A Photograph of my old AMR Controller, showing the switch to the top and its label detailing the switch positions.

The first Farish locomotive I found problems with on Feedback was the then newly released V2.
The feedback switch is in a different position to the one in Mick's @Newportnobby photo, but assuming it does serve the same function, definitely worth trying the different settings and see which suits individual locos best  :thumbsup:

PLD

Quote from: Steven B on January 05, 2024, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: Ed on January 05, 2024, 01:51:43 PMLoco's ain't cheap and I doubt the club has any insurance to cover members rolling stock.

I'd be worried if the club didn't have insurance that covered member's models whilst on the premises.

Steven B
If it is the standard Magnet policy used be many clubs, it will cover "accidental" damage while in use at the club (e.g. it gets dropped) but not "misuse" such as using a type of controller that is contrary to the manufacturer's instructions.
Also subject to (I think £100) excess in the event of a claim, so you'd only get £20 back towards that £120 loco...

Also, theft of members own stock if left unattended in the clubrooms won't be covered unless specifically added to the contents cover.

Ed

Quote from: Steven B on January 05, 2024, 02:30:41 PM

Steven B

You may be right Steven @Steven B but somehow I doubt it. I would hope somebody has insurance for any injuries etc. caused while on the premises, but I've got a feeling you run your locos at your own risk.

Wouldn't like to test it with a sound loco costing over £200!

Ed

Edit: crossed posts, looks like the answer is in the previous post by @PLD

ntpntpntp

@Nbodger Any chance of a schematic of that feedback switch in your AMR? Would be interesting to understand how its wired into the circuitry.   I don't recall ever seeing them supplied with feedback switches but I did buy mine in the 80s. [edit] Ah - RM Web posts say Len Rich (of AMR) introduced the switchable feedback version before he retired [/edit]
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Nbodger

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 05, 2024, 03:39:13 PM@Nbodger Any chance of a schematic of that feedback switch in your AMR? Would be interesting to understand how its wired into the circuitry.   I don't recall ever seeing them supplied with feedback switches but I did buy mine in the 80s. [edit] Ah - RM Web posts say Len Rich (of AMR) introduced the switchable feedback version before he retired [/edit]

I am almost certain that it was purchased in 1989 and at the latest 1990.

Newportnobby

Asking someone in the know tonight at the club, it appears the switch on the side does indeed control feedback.
Up = On
Centre = Off
Down = reduced feedback

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ed

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 10, 2024, 10:12:54 PMAsking someone in the know tonight at the club, it appears the switch on the side does indeed control feedback.
Up = On
Centre = Off
Down = reduced feedback

Too complicated for me, I'll stick to DCC  :)

Ed

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations