Superglue or ordinary glue?

Started by Tdm, March 06, 2014, 01:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

In my order just arrived from Gaugemaster are a number of kits from "Knightwing International" which look like white metal kits (buffer stops & crane gantries).

What is the best glue to use on white metal. Whatever it will have to be a glue bought locally in Tenerife as I think glue is a banned substance for Airmail deliveries (I certainly wasn't allowed to order lubricationg oil for my engines for despatch to Tenerife).

Plenty of Superglue available here, or should I opt for a normal contact adhesive?
The brand names will be different though to those in the U.K.

Karhedron

I normally use super glue (Cyanoacrylate) for gluing whitemetal kits. It sticks fairly quickly and holds pretty fast.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Paul B

Super glue should be fine for white metal. If you want a bit more strength though, what I do is to tack white metal together first with super glue, then use a two part 5 minute epoxy glue (the most well known one here is Araldite, but, as they say on the TV, other brands are available!) This is used as a joint filler and strengthener but going over the super glued joints. Try to get it as smooth on areas that show, but maybe use a bit more where it doesn't.
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

trainsdownunder

Agree with above

Spot fix with Super glue and then strengthen with a filler.

EtchedPixels

Evostick impact works well but get the surfaces clean first, and if need be tack with superglue.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

I've found I can do a glue and fill all in one hit on whitemetal kits by using superglue in gel form.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tdm

Well Guys - thanks for your replies & comments. Am off to Chester this morning for 5 days, but when I get back home to Tenerife will try some of the options suggested on my latest kits.

Usually get superglue all over my fingers & the table and n gauge parts can be so small & fiddly, will have to find something to hold the parts together whilst I glue them.

I have one lower jaw tooth on a bridge in my mouth which is always coming out & I have superglued that back in several times but it leaves a horrible aftertaste in the mouth!

Karhedron

Superglue is quite runny so stopping it from going everywhere is an important challenge. I find it is best not to apply it directly when dealing with small parts as it is easy to flood the area. I put a drop of superglue on an impervious surface (I use an old plate but anything from jar lids to a scrap of plasticard will do). Then I transfer small amounts of superglue to the parts being stuck using the end of a paper clip. This should protect your fingers somewhat. ;)
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Caz

I now tend to use the bottles of superglue that come with their own little brush as it is much more controllable.   ;)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bealman

If I may, I will repeat my post above.

I agree, that your common or garden superglue is runny. But the gel form is controllable and can, with care, do the job of gluin' and fillin' all in one.

It can also be applied with a toothpick or cocktail stick (as long as you don't stick it in yer ear!)

George

ParkeNd

Quote from: Bealman on March 07, 2014, 09:52:07 AM

I agree, that your common or garden superglue is runny. But the gel form is controllable and can, with care, do the job of gluin' and fillin' all in one.

It can also be applied with a toothpick or cocktail stick (as long as you don't stick it in yer ear!)

George

I too use the gel superglue. It's great but can be expensive. £5.79 for just 3g in a deceptive big bottle. That's probably only 1.5 cc of glue and puts it on a par with printer ink. Perhaps the gelling ingredient is very pricey.

trainsdownunder

Quote from: Bealman on March 07, 2014, 09:52:07 AM

George

:thumbsup: The Gel works well for me too

Bealman

The day I start worryin' about the price of superglue is the day I'll be pushing up the daisies.

An' I winna' be botherin' aboot the price of that, either.

ParkeNd

Quote from: Bealman on March 07, 2014, 10:31:10 AM
The day I start worryin' about the price of superglue is the day I'll be pushing up the daisies.

An' I winna' be botherin' aboot the price of that, either.

Thanks George. Very useful comment from you.

To know in advance that the big gel superglue bottles are virtually empty is clearly of no value to anyone. It would though have been of interest to for me the first time I bought some - then I could have bought two bottles instead of one.

Anyway - so you already know so no point in telling anyone else. I've got it now.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations