Locked threads

Started by Steamie+, April 24, 2017, 06:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Just stopped for a rest from building Metcalfe houses. God, they're blooming fiddly for my shaky old hands! :'(

njee20

Quote from: Tank on April 24, 2017, 01:49:58 PM
Quote from: njee20 on April 24, 2017, 09:50:40 AM
I forget who it was last time we did this said that this forum is like the Prisoner. It appears to be entirely sweet and innocent on the surface, but if you step out of line you're swiftly brought back!

This 'prison' has a voluntary leaving policy....you may use it. :)

But I like it here (to the annoyance of some I'm sure), it's just a good observation!

Quote from: Tank on April 24, 2017, 01:49:58 PM
Quote from: njee20 on April 24, 2017, 09:05:51 AM
But anyway, this is at least he 4th thread on this now. If members do request topics are locked they've never said anything, whilst a number have said it's a real pain. Perhaps there's a silent majority who don't want to speak out.

Hit the nail on the head.  Some members are vocal, and others just report to us about it.  Some members also write posts that are reported and we delete if we feel it's right.  A lot of the time we feel that most reported posts are OK.  A lot happens behind the scenes, and many of you don't see the rude posts that are put on here as they've been deleted.  Even posts on this thread have been deleted by the members that wrote them. ::)

Locked threads are only ever locked if the thread is out of hand, or if the original poster asks for it to be locked - to which we won't say as that's confidential.

Yes, I'm acerbic enough as it is, even I identify a need to self moderate at times :D

I'm not sure the message has got through about not locking threads that wander a bit - the speeding one is a good example, unless the OP requested it. That said, IMO threads are not "owned" by anyone - again, they're not blogs, and I tend to think that you're putting something out there into the public domain. Yes, lock threads that have become truly argumentative, but I don't like that I can start a thread, wait for a few posts and then say "right, I'm done with this, can it please be locked?".

I know a lot happens behind the scenes, I've seen plenty of posts that disappear, or get edited on the sly, I've long said that moderation is a thankless task, I do agree with Mike that you could make your lives a little easier though!

daffy

Since I am the last 'Mike' to have posted on this thread I trust this last comment :

QuoteI do agree with Mike that you could make your lives a little easier though!

is not referring to me as it seems to be putting words into my mouth that I never said, or implies thoughts or feelings I do not have.

Explanation please.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Nope, sorry, Red_Death, not your fine self.

emjaybee

Actually I thought he meant me, as I'd said they could make less work for themselves.

;D
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

Well all relevant Mikes may attribute it to themselves, any Mike for whom it isn't relevant may disregard it.

daffy

Okay. That's fine.

It seems more careful attribution should be given when referring to other members njee to avoid giving offence, which I know you would not wish to do.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Yep, noted, apologies! I most definitely don't ever want to cause offence, whether I accomplish that or not is another matter entirely...  :-[

njee20

Just look at my posting history Paul, it'll be easier!

Pengi

Three moderators are at the doctor for memory tests. The doctor says to the first moderator , "What is three times three?"
"274," was his reply.
The doctor says to the second moderator, "It's your turn. What is three times three?"
"Tuesday," replies the second moderator.
The doctor says to the third moderator, "Okay, your turn. What's three times three?"
"Nine," says the third moderator.
"That's great!" says the doctor. "How did you get that?"
"Simple," says the third moderator. "I subtracted 274 from Tuesday."
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

austinbob

What a breath of fresh air for this thread. More please...
:claphappy:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Yet_Another

I can't believe no-one's done this:

Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Rabs

Quote from: Rabs on April 24, 2017, 11:11:27 AM
I think this thread has run its course now.  Perhaps it's time to lock it?

[Lights blue touchpaper, retreats to safe distance...]

:angel:

Quote from: Steamie+ on April 24, 2017, 11:16:58 AM
Your comment is just asking for trouble, if anyone has got to say it should be locked it is me has i started this. so yes please lock this thread NPN, Bealman and any other Mod. I am sick of members just commenting to have personal attacks on the forum it is really getting down, this is the best forum on the web and if you don't like what the mods do then retreat to the other forums that allow you to say what ever you what, I Don't Think So.     

Happy Modelling.        :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not sure, but if that was a reply to me then apparently I was mistaken in thinking that my post was pretty obviously a joke! 

austinbob

Quote from: Rabs on April 24, 2017, 11:08:32 PM
Quote from: Rabs on April 24, 2017, 11:11:27 AM
I think this thread has run its course now.  Perhaps it's time to lock it?

[Lights blue touchpaper, retreats to safe distance...]

:angel:

Quote from: Steamie+ on April 24, 2017, 11:16:58 AM
Your comment is just asking for trouble, if anyone has got to say it should be locked it is me has i started this. so yes please lock this thread NPN, Bealman and any other Mod. I am sick of members just commenting to have personal attacks on the forum it is really getting down, this is the best forum on the web and if you don't like what the mods do then retreat to the other forums that allow you to say what ever you what, I Don't Think So.     

Happy Modelling.        :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not sure, but if that was a reply to me then apparently I was mistaken in thinking that my post was pretty obviously a joke!
I don't think the comment was aimed at you Rabs. Parts of this thread have just turned into a slanging match and its difficult to work out who's slanging who.
I think this really is a thread the mods should turn off now - how about it?
:thankyousign:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

Why not just not open it Bob? I never quite understand the mentality around complaining about threads you're not contributing to. It's very easy to avoid threads.

That said, I'm not sure there's vast amounts more to say. however, that's no reason to lock a thread IMO, just leave it to die organically, in peace.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations