Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParkeNd

Totally out of character with my layout but about to be "regular guests" are two birthday presents from my wife - Dapol Flying Scotsman and Dapol Mallard. Can see the cardan shafts through the box lid so better than the Hall.

Don't give a damn about No22 and lettering subtleties or the wrong number of rivets in the tenders - they look totally awesome to me. Can't play with them for 3 weeks though.

MinZaPint

Sir Nigel looks really good there James and Pete I've got Mallard to run on what will be my SR/GWR layout, thank heavens for  :NGaugersRule: No One! 

David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Caz

Looks like I'll have to use a Rule 1 again or perhaps have an enthusiasts special as Sir Nigel is such a lovely looking loco, hmmmm, more expense.  :doh:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Oldun

Re the A4s available. I have noticed that depending on the make that
some have the coupling on the front and some don't.

In your opinion, what would be/look correct ???

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

scotsoft

daveg

Quote from: whiteswan on March 15, 2014, 11:42:02 AM
Looks like I'll have to use a Rule 1 again or perhaps have an enthusiasts special as Sir Nigel is such a lovely looking loco, hmmmm, more expense.  :doh:

Yes, but really worth it Caz! Got mine yesterday.

Shame the ponies derail at the hint of a set of points. Ah well, Sir Nige put away till there's time to sort him out proper-like! That's looking like August/September.  :(

Dave G

talisman56

Was at the NDMRC exhibition today (as a steward, being a member of the organising club).

Apart from the purchase of a few books, added a few items to the rolling stock side of Dunestone:

[smg id=10965]

The display case was a purchase, too.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bealman

That Sir Nigel is very nice model. I've mentioned on here before that the real thing was stabled at the NCB yard at Philadelphia in the north east in the early 70s and I was lucky enough to ride the footplate along a line long gone.

I came across it again a couple of years later taking photos for my dissertation, as the crew were cleaning it. An NCB class 14 was parked next door! Will post pics if I can find 'em.

NPN: like your new acquisitions. Note your observation about the two tone 24.... mine starts grinding gears at certain speeds!

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

CarriageShed

Quote from: MinZaPint on March 15, 2014, 10:09:32 AM
Sir Nigel looks really good there James and Pete I've got Mallard to run on what will be my SR/GWR layout, thank heavens for  :NGaugersRule: No One! 

David

I've already got locos that didn't operate in 'my' area so one more wouldn't make much difference, even though it's in the wrong Grouping company for the entire region!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

texhorse

Rule 1 applies, as originally formulated by IBISIC RAIL.  (I Built It So I Can Run Anything I Like).

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

NeMo

Got two of the new batch of weathered 'silver bullets' this weekend. While definitely very nice, I don't think they're *quite* as good as my four from the original batch. Relevant photos below!

First, side by side, with the new version, without ECC branding, on the left. Not sure when the ECC branding was applied (or removed) so perhaps others can explain.

Close up of the new version now.

And here's the original version. I think the white spillage is a bit more finely applied and streaky, and the weathering applied to the underframe detailing isn't quite so heavy.

Finally, just for fun I run my rake behind a 'Western' -- rule number 1 applies here, and since the 'Western' has air brakes, technically not impossible!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

ParkeNd

I have just received Flying Scotsman and Mallard

Flying Scotsman is superb - detail is excellent, especially the lining (I have no idea if the grockling irons are of the right prototype year!), and it ran beautifully straight out of the box and with its tiny spots of Dapol synthetic oil on the motions.

Mallard though is back in its box having been the first of my two slightly early birthday presents I tried. It rattled, growled, and smashed its way round the track until it derailed. Thought I hadn't railed it properly and tried again. Still making a fearful buzzing noise it went off again and the same thing happened. To cut a long story short neither the front pony bogie nor the rear loco bogie will sit on the rails. Adjusting the screws makes no difference - taking the front coupling out (as with Bahamas where it hooked under the buffers) didn't help either. The rear bogie rides turned nearly at 90 degrees and the front one starts straight but is vibrated at an angle before it reaches the first curve.

Hattons have agreed to a refund and I am in trouble with SWMBO as "an ungrateful man"

I had sworn never to touch a recently made Dapol steam engine again - look what happens when I do. But in fairness 4472 is a delight.

ParkeNd

Quote from: Pete33 on March 14, 2014, 10:46:38 PM
Quote from: Jameswgm on March 14, 2014, 05:52:14 PM

That looks absolutely fantastic. I'd be happy to run that and I'm not even modelling the LNER!

Just got Mallard Pete - and it's a lemon. See my post above.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations