Can anyone advise on this Porthole Composite Coach regarding length

Started by GlenEglise, March 08, 2024, 10:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenEglise

Can anyone advise on this Porthole Composite Coach regarding length, availability etc. in N Gauge?

nabber

Nice photo of a D2159 I think.

Length: 60'. All the Farish Stanier coaches are 57', so don't work for a conversion.

Availability: No, sorry. Previously at least one of Ultima, Bill Bedford and Masterclass Models did etched sides and kits, but these are all out of production now.
The nearest you could get is the slightly earlier non-porthole equivalent - Allen at Worsley Works does the sides/ends/underframe for D1925 if you can solder and can source all the other bits. Strictly speaking the porthole version has a slightly different end profile to all the other LMS coaches, but this isn't really noticeable in N.

This is the porthole version - Bill Bedford sides on a Worsley body:

And this is D1925 - Worsley:

There is also D2117, which has the extra side doors but not the portholes - but no-one makes that either currently. The one at the back here is a Masterclass Models in progress:

thanks,

Neil

GlenEglise

Neil,

many thanks for the informative response. You have confirmed my thoughts that it is a D2159.

I guess one solution would be to get a suitable overlay printed to go on a  57' Stanier. Perhaps not one for the "purists" and obviously 6mm too short, but it would give the look.

Thanks again

GE

joe cassidy

There was a kit available for a D1925 from Mike Howarth - one-piece body, + roof, on Farish Poole chassis. Might be obtainable via e-bay ?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations