My Dads N Gauge layout, locomotives and rolling stock

Started by Paul Wontner, March 03, 2024, 06:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Wontner

So, I've joined this forum, and the same on Facebook as a way in to the world of N Gauge. My father died recently and I have the role of finding a home for his layout and all his kit. He had been a keen modeller all his life and created 2 00 gauge layouts and 2 N gauge. We have numerous locomotives and rolling stock, all from the British age of steam with one early diesel. The majority of the locos are Graham Farrish/Bachmann. At this stage, I would just like some advice on the best way to sell them. I am looking to do it efficiently and not individual sales as I simply don't have time. I have a pdf file with images of all the stock and his layout. Very happy to receive any help you experts can provide  :bounce: 

GlenEglise

Condolences on your loss.

As you say you have limited time to do sales then you will either dispose via a retailer or auction house.

You are unlikely to receive full value through either route.

Kindest regards,

GE

Bob G

I am the N Gauge Society Helpline Coordinator and have been modelling in N gauge since 1971. I have the formal valuations of all stock produce that your dad would have acquired, and I am happy to talk with you thorough private message on my views of what its worth and what to do with it.

Take care

Bob Gregory

Newportnobby

So sorry to hear of your loss
Have you a local Model Railway Club who could be of assistance?

PLD

The other potential route is to contact your local Model Railway Society (was your dad a member of a club?)

Most will assist in valuation and many have sales channels through which they can handle sales for you (generally for a percentage of the sales value) It may take a little longer to dispose of everything, but you will certainly receive a larger value than a bulk sale to the trade.

Paul Wontner

Thanks all, unfortunately my Dad was not a member of a club and I have already approached Alton Modellers Club, but they are more focused on OO gauge and had limited interest.

Is the N'Mporium on Facebook a viable way to sell what I have, I would likely bundle locos and rolling stock for a good price.

My Dad made most of the buildings and roads etc etc, is there much of a market for anyone to be interested in the layout itself, it's fully made up and would need to be taken away, understanding that there's likely not much value, as I guess they are very individual.

I am based near Aldershot, Hampshire.

Newportnobby

Paul, I suggest you take some time out to catalogue what stock your father had i.e. Manufacturers reference number, condition, whether in original box etc. For condition check all buffers and couplings are intact and lights, if fitted, work as they should. Are you able to test run items? Take photos of every item (you will need them for the N'Porium/EBay or any potential buyer anyway)
Are you OK with spreadsheets?
Feel free to post a pic of anything you're unsure of and the forum members will be able to help
I suggest you also take Bob up on his kind offer made in reply #2 above

PLD

Farnham and District Model Railway Club https://farnhammrc.org.uk/ , Info@farnhammrc.org.uk may be a better prospect to contact and not too far from you. They have an active N gauge group.

geoffc

You have various options to sell them, each with its drawbacks:

Sell to a dealer but you may only get a small percentage of the value. Either you will have to deliver or the dealer will collect, an added cost.

Send to auction, you may get a better price but bear in mind the auctioneer sets the starting bid, although you can set a reserve. Don't forget you will pay a sellers commission this can be up to 20% plus vat at 20% and the buyer may also have to pay a buyers premium of up to 20% plus vat and postage charges if they can not collect the item. An item sells for £100, you get £76 and the buyer pays £124.

Sell it on eBay, you set the starting bid and set a reserve if you wish. If you are not sure about the condition, list as suitable for spares or untested. If if sells you will be charged a sellers fee by eBay and a % of the selling price and postage plus VAT.
You will set the postage charge but bear in mind you will need to source boxes, packaging material and take them to the Post Office or parcels shop. The buyer does not pay any commission so you may get a better deal than at auction.
As an example I sold a loco for £105 plus £5 p&p so the buyer paid £110. eBay charged £14.40 in fees inc VAT so I received £95.60 on top of which I had to pay the postage, supply a box and packaging and deliver to the Post Office. 

Take out an ad in a model railway magazine or join the NGS and advertise it in there bi monthly journal. You will still have the faff of packing and posting but you keep all the sale money.

The choice is yours as to whether you want rid in one go or are prepared to sell bit by bit over a longer period.

Geoff 

Bealman

I'm a bit naive sort of, when it comes to  buying and selling stuff, cos I've always thought me daughters would sort it out when I cark it  ;D

However, I think Geoff's last suggestion is good. I don't think you can move all of that in one batch, bundled items or maybe included with a finished layout might work.

Please let us know your result  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

A few years back a friend asked for help to sell his N gauge collection so I put it all on the N'Porium at very reasonable prices. There were maybe 40 or more buyers wanting all sorts of kit and all responses were positive - hence my trader rating of over 100.
Yes I had to pack and post it all (and maybe the Post Office thought I was running a business) but I got over £2000 for him and he donated it to charity. I'm left with a few boxes of stuff nobody wanted which I must get round to putting out for the binpersons but all locos, coaches, wagons and road vehicles etc went to good homes

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations