DSLR Camera for modelling pics

Started by Ensign Elliott, January 26, 2024, 09:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ensign Elliott

Thanks all for the replies, very helpful as always.

geoffc

JanW

I hope anyone is interested but here is the rest of my examples.

Here the results of my standard lens which I never tried for layout photos. I should have tried it earlier because it is wonderful!

Setup:

It focuses closer than the kit zoom at wide angle:

And gives very nice results with in camera focus stacking:

In camera processing:

And this is why I like a small camera:

JanW

And finally the macro lens:

Which can capture details no other lens can ever do:

Unfortunately no focus stacking because this lens was adapted from my previous DSLR and in camera stacking doesn't work with it.

Ensign Elliott

These are really lovely pics JanW. Which Camera is that you are using, and lens?

Nbodger

Rob,

Just a few more thoughts

Don't forget you need to consider the lighting for good photographs. Roger of Wrenton fames photographs are very well lit and it shows unlike mine which relies solely on the layouts lights.

Personally I would prefer to select the focal points manually for image stacking in lieu of a camera selecting a small number of shots.

By Manila selection you can leave part of the image out of focus as I often focus only on the train and foreground and leave the distance blurred.

JanW

Quote from: Ensign Elliott on February 09, 2024, 09:59:51 PMThese are really lovely pics JanW. Which Camera is that you are using, and lens?

For the photos I took I used a Panasonic Lumix GX800 camera with 12-32mm kit lens, 20mm f1.7 standard lens (I really like this lens) and an old Olympus 35mm macro lens.
If you have a larger layout you might also want a longer (telephoto) lens to reach parts of the layout that are further away from the camera.

But any DSLR or mirrorless camera can do this as long as you use the right lenses. The advantage of a smaller camera is that you can place it on the layout where bigger cameras can't be used.

But some things are essential:
As Nbodger already mentioned lighting is most important for good results. Avoid harsh shadows and light sources with different colour temperatures.
The small layout I used for the photos has integrated led strips pointing upwards to a white painted 'roof' for diffuse lighting.
People also get good results by placing their layout on the garden table and use the sun (or clouded sky) as light source.

And use a tripod, especially if you want to use focus stacking. I have two small ones, the gorilla pod you see in most photos and a tiny Manfrotto used when I placed the camera on the layout.

About the options of stacking in camera or on the computer:
Using the computer to stack the images will give highest resolution results, when compared to my little Lumix camera.
Possibly the stacking results will also be a bit better with less artifacts.
My camera uses 4K video frames for automatic stacking with an 8Mpixel photo as result. For me this is perfectly adequate and keeps me away from the computer. I transferred the photos to my iPad via Wifi and posted them here.
Canon recently released eos R morrorless cameras that seem to do full resolution focus stacking in camera:
https://www.canon-europe.com/get-inspired/tips-and-techniques/focus-stacking-beginners/
My camera also has the option to select which part of the photo will be in focus, just as Nbodger does with the computer software.

I hope this will help get you started,

Jan

Ensign Elliott

Thanks Jan and Mike for your help - lots to think about and research. I think I'll go to a camera shop and have a chat to them (if I can find one locally - they all seem to have disappeared!).

I have a good tripod and three sets of LED lighting stands which I use for my phone photos so all I really need is the camera.

Thanks again 

maridunian

I guess you need to decide about all the photos you might take, not just railway models. My TG-6 (still available, though not in production) zoom is 28-100mm equivalent, which isn't great for outdoor detail shots at distance. An SLR would obviously give you the greatest flexibility.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations