Railways in art

Started by Jim Easterbrook, November 23, 2021, 10:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Easterbrook

Some years ago Sarah and I visited the art museum in Brussels, mainly for the Magrittes, but I was rather struck by this picture by Paul Delvaux.

Train du Soir, Paul Delvaux, 1957

I bought a print of it in the museum shop, and Sarah got it framed for my Christmas present. It now hangs in pride of place in the living room.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Jim Easterbrook

Another picture that caught my eye recently is "Spirit of the Southern" by Harry Stevens.

Spirit of the Southern, Harry Stevens, 1969

This one is in the National Railway Museum. I've not seen it, but Tim Dunn posted it on Twitter and I immediately wanted it. I bought a print by mail order which arrived last week, and now a frame is on order from https://www.easyframe.co.uk/ - a company I've used several times and can recommend.
Jim Easterbrook

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

joe cassidy

The French Impressionists were not averse to painting trains, railway bridges etc.

Jim Easterbrook

I was hoping we'd see one or two favourites of other forum members.
Jim Easterbrook

chrism

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on November 23, 2021, 12:08:37 PM
I was hoping we'd see one or two favourites of other forum members.

Both of mine have already been mentioned - although I also like Turner's Rain, Steam and Speed.

Papyrus

We found this picture in the Bluebell Railway Carriage Shop a few years ago and both fell in love with it:

The artist is one Chris Dawson, whom I know not. It's obviously based on a photo, but I'm not complaining.

I also found this at the same place this year:

I very much like this type of semi-technical artwork. This is by Nick Hardcastle and has pride of place in my 'railway room'. (Sorry about the reflections...)

Cheers,

Chris

Jim Easterbrook

I see Mr Hardcastle has a web site: https://nickhardcastle.co.uk/railways/
Would it be rude to say that some of his pictures remind me of Poppingham?
Jim Easterbrook

grumbeast

That 'Spirit of the Southern' is lovely.  For my part I'm rather fond of some of the wonderful art produced for advertising posters in the early 20th Century such as this beauty from A.M. Cassandre

I think the creators of these pieces often get overlooked as they were commercial contracts

grumbeast

I also love some of the 20s / 30s Art Deco posters.  I have  this one up on my wall in the railway room

swisstrains

I have this print of a 1937 poster by P.Colombi on the wall in my train room.

Papyrus

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on November 23, 2021, 01:27:57 PM
I see Mr Hardcastle has a web site: https://nickhardcastle.co.uk/railways/
Would it be rude to say that some of his pictures remind me of Poppingham?

I agree a lot of his stuff is a bit chocolate-boxy, which is not my cup of tea either. Terence Cuneo's work is very atmospheric and appeals to me much more.

Cheers,

Chris

Paul J

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on November 23, 2021, 10:31:32 AM
Some years ago Sarah and I visited the art museum in Brussels, mainly for the Magrittes, but I was rather struck by this picture by Paul Delvaux.

Train du Soir, Paul Delvaux, 1957

I bought a print of it in the museum shop, and Sarah got it framed for my Christmas present. It now hangs in pride of place in the living room.

Delvaux often painted railways. The railway museum at Schaarbeek had an exhibition of his railway work when I visited a few years ago.

Railway works by Turner and Monet are well known, but Walter Sickert did at least one painting of Bayswater station on the Circle line.

The Q

I particularly like Don Breckon's work..

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations