Poole Farish rare items - are there any?

Started by belstone, July 27, 2015, 11:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Quote from: SidmouthJunction on July 28, 2015, 03:02:38 PM
Quote from: Dr Al on July 28, 2015, 02:12:52 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on July 28, 2015, 02:03:39 PM
and the other rare, with perhaps 150 made.

Yes, number 20215, mentioned earlier in thread. There has been reports of another number (possible 20132) but I've seen no evidence that it ever did actually exist yet. 47378 said to have made 10 only before changing to 'Silcock Express version.

One of those Virgin 47s sold on ebay a good few years ago - made something like £150.

Cheers,

Alan

Which of the Virgin 47s is the rarity? My dad has one named 'Graham Farish' (don't remember the number), which I believe was a limited edition. Is that the one to which you are referring?

I don't know the running number, nor the name, of the rare Virgin 47, but not wishing to be the bearer of "bad" news, Graham Farish in Virgin livery, class 47 was a standard release item. They also issued it in Virgin livery named Totnes Castle.

Still Sidmouth, it's a lovely model, rare or not. It was produced towards the end of the Poole days (2000 I believe) and due to the factory closing down not long after, it also isn't the most common of locos. Available in ebay from time to time but worth keeping if your dad likes it.

Another "hard to get" one, which I think came out at the end of the Poole days, is BR Blue Class 33 Captain Bill Smith RNR.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

DesertHound

Pertinent to the discussion ...

[smg id=27601 type=preview align=center caption="image"]
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

SidmouthJunction

It's that LT 57XX pannier that eluded me!

Also the 'Mainline' class 37 looks familiar, 37055 (IIRC) Rail Celebrity is on my roster.

Never mind about the 47, just a thought!

Skyline2uk

Thanks for posting that catalogue extract, I had that edition.

Was that in the main catalogue or a special supliment?

Skyline2uk

Dr Al

Quote from: SidmouthJunction on July 28, 2015, 03:31:57 PM
It's that LT 57XX pannier that eluded me!

You might still get one - they seem to appear regularly secondhand and much cheaper now that Dapol have done their 57xx in LT livery  :thumbsup:

That was one of the red box ones, so only 500 or so about.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Mirrlees

I have got a 158 in the Thailand livery, not sure if it is rare or not.
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

Paddy

I have a Poole made Class 33 in BR green with blackened wheels.  I bought it new right at the end of Poole production.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Dr Al

Quote from: Paddy on July 28, 2015, 07:14:26 PM
I have a Poole made Class 33 in BR green with blackened wheels.  I bought it new right at the end of Poole production.

Rare that!

cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Paddy

Quote from: Dr Al on July 28, 2015, 07:19:55 PM
Quote from: Paddy on July 28, 2015, 07:14:26 PM

Rare that!

cheers,
Alan

Maurice at Osborn Models managed to get me one.  It is GF8314 and numbered D6572.  Bought the loco on January 15th, 2001 for £56.66.

Paddy
London Midland Region

Dr Al

Quote from: Paddy on July 28, 2015, 07:29:19 PM
Maurice at Osborn Models managed to get me one.  It is GF8314 and numbered D6572.  Bought the loco on January 15th, 2001 for £56.66.

Paddy

Must have been made up with the last few bits Bachmann had knocking about at the time, as I think they'd taken over by then...!

Cheers,
Alan

Paddy

You are probably right Alan.  It had been released a few months earlier and I hesitated in buying one.  I recall Maurice had a hell of a job tracking one down for me.

Paddy
London Midland Region

CarriageShed

Quote from: paulprice on July 28, 2015, 03:06:38 PM
I have 4 at the moment, two maroon and 2 black BUT I WANT MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE

Hey! No fair.

Now that I've seen an 'in' for legitimising a 4P I'll be taking a look at the second-hand listings again. I wonder if I'll find one going for less than the price of a new 3F 0-6-0...?

Adam1701D

Quote from: Mirrlees on July 28, 2015, 03:39:22 PM

What that RTR or one of mine, Tim? If it's RTR, I've never heard of it but it could have been produced as a promotional model.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Dr Al

Quote from: Paddy on July 28, 2015, 07:33:33 PM
You are probably right Alan.  It had been released a few months earlier and I hesitated in buying one.  I recall Maurice had a hell of a job tracking one down for me.

Paddy

By that time I think Bachmann were already starting to look to re-engineer and cut costs - my GF80211 (IIRC) 47747 'Graham Farish' has a hybrid armature with a Bachmann commutator and a Poole style set of windings. The commutators were the same as those on the Bachmann motor used in the later split chassis. Your 33 may well be similar.

Cheers,
Alan

joe cassidy

Quote from: captainelectra on July 28, 2015, 07:37:32 PM
Quote from: Mirrlees on July 28, 2015, 03:39:22 PM

What that RTR or one of mine, Tim? If it's RTR, I've never heard of it but it could have been produced as a promotional model.

Is "Thailand livery" the same as "toothpaste livery", i.e. blue/white/red stripes ?

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations