Your Most Unusual Train?

Started by Claude Dreyfus, January 26, 2011, 10:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delfin

Quote from: newportnobby on April 20, 2013, 09:19:58 PM
Interesting train, Delfin.
What loco(s) do you haul it with please?
The layout was a fictional railway loosely based on the Brecon and Merthyr railway.  The locomotive was a japanese 0-6-2 modified to look vaguely Welsh.  I have since scrapped the layout, but retained the stock as I fancy trying again with something more ambitious representing a part of the line rather than just a station.  However, it is in queue behind some North American modules (almost finished) and a proposed SNCF layout.

Unfortunately the locomotive itself has ceased to work, so I will have to source new motive power should I build another pre-grouping layout.  I expect it will go ahead as I find the pre-grouping railways of South Wales endlessly fascinating.

The cavalry were from the agricultural area of Glamorgan travelling to the large territorial army exercises which took place in the Aberystwyth area before the first world war.

Delfin

Newportnobby

Thanks for that :thumbsup:
I seem to recall Dr Al had a GWR 56xx for sale a while ago (0-6-2T).
Dunno if he still has it but it may be worth a PM to him

Delfin

Quote from: newportnobby on April 20, 2013, 09:32:53 PM
Thanks for that :thumbsup:
I seem to recall Dr Al had a GWR 56xx for sale a while ago (0-6-2T).
Dunno if he still has it but it may be worth a PM to him

Thanks for letting me know, I have a 56xx, but they are not suitable for pre-grouping layouts as they were introduced by the GWR after the grouping in 1923.  However they are useful for a bit of kit-bashing.

Problems in sourcing suitable locomotives was one of the reasons I scrapped the layout.  It is unreasonable to expect manufacturers to produce much for that period, although one of the white metal kit companies did do some Rhymney Railway stuff I seem to recall.

Delfin

EtchedPixels

The 56xx was basically a GWR build of the pregroup tanks. Langley do bits to convert the generic farish tank to various welsh 0-6-0 / 0-6-2 types
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £100.67
Above Goal: £0.67
Site Currency: GBP
101% 
May Donations