Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Top marks to E.E. (no - not English Electric).
My Mum had no phone or broadband this morning so when we'd got back after some retail therapy for her, I got in touch with E.E. on their freephone number from my abode, explained the problem to a very helpful young lady called Sian (spelling?), and she got an engineer visit this Friday morning by confirming it with Mum on her mobile and then also called me to let me know what was occurring (and wished me a Merry Christmas). All too often telecoms services get flak, often fully justified, but Sian was help personified. Thank you Sian and E.E. :thankyousign:

dannyboy

Nice to hear of such service. However, I have to ask why this is in the 'Happy' thread - should it not be in the 'Unbelievable' thread?  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

I have been sat here at work for the last 8 hours or so, with a further 4 to go.  Nothing unusual about that – since I gave up being 'a boss' about nine years ago, it is all I have ever done, working an average of 7 shifts per fortnight, although since hitting the UK retirement age of 65, (I just beat the new system!), I have slowly been reducing my hours.

So what is different about this shift? It is my last one! I officially retire, for good, on Friday. So no more finishing at 7am, going home, picking up Louisa, taking her to work, turning round and going back home for a few hours sleep, before returning to pick Louisa up from work, then having a quick sandwich and coffee and then setting off to work again.

As I am now in the position of not having the pleasure of going out to work and not being able to listen to work colleagues talking about the changes in work practices being planned for the New Year, maybe this post should be in the 'Unhappy' thread . . . . . . .erm . . . . .   :no:. I will be starting on what is left in the 'Jura' bottle tonight and probably replacing it at the weekend.   :beers:

And if that was not reason enough to celebrate, an hour or so ago I received an automated email regarding the renewal of my car insurance, due in 3 weeks. It was a few Euros cheaper for next year than this year!   :o. I have just done a bit of researching/comparing  and the renewal quote was just slightly cheaper than any other quotes I got and then I had a thought,  :idea:. I went into my current insurers website to amend my details to show my occupation as 'Retired' – the quote came down by €40!  :D

A very Merry Christmas to you all!

P.S. Thanks to all of you who have provided some knowledge, or just a smile, to me and plenty of other forumites over the last 12 months.  :-* ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daveg

Best wishes for a long and fruitful retirement!

I was lucky enough to 'get out of the office' for good  a couple of years earlier than the state pension date, about 8 years ago. Never missed it once!

All the best for 2019.

:beers:

Dave G

Bealman

How cool's that!  :thumbsup:

Have a great Christmas and enjoy your retirement!

Maybe I'll see you here in Oz soon! You're most welcome!  :beers: :beers: :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

Well done David

When I retired a few years ago, I did not miss working for a second even though I had a good, mostly enjoyable job. To this day I wonder how I managed to accomplish what I did before I retired (railway construction, household chores, grunt work in the garden). Just recently, I have taken up a 2 days a week consultancy and this is proving to be seriously curtailing my lifestyle.

I would prefer to be 20 years younger, working, and have more life left but being retired is pretty good.

David, best of wishes to you in the next stage of your life.

And a Merry Christmas to all.
Webbo

TrevL

Great news David. I did it April17 and it seems the last 20 months has gone by in the blink of an eye.
Loving it, and I'm sure you will too.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Jimbo

Congratulations David! Wishing you all the best, and a merry Christmas!  :pint:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Newportnobby

Congrats on becoming an officially retired person, David. My state pension kicked in 1st October this year and I can now replenish the savings I've been using up since I took early retirement at 60 :)
I guess your insurance has come down as it is now 'social, domestic and pleasure' as opposed to 'social, business and pleasure' i.e. there is no work involvement in your driving. If you use the car to do any work you'd need to in form your insurers.
Enjoy! :beers:

RailGooner

Happy retirement David, and a Merry Christmas one & all! :beers:

Delboy

Happy retirement David.
Welcome to the club.
:claphappy:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Mito

And welcome to the club from me. Your life will be more hectic now than ever :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

port perran

And a very warm welcome to the club.
I've been a member for 14 months and not regretted it once even if the time has quite simply sped past.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

daffy

Happy retirement! Happy Christmas! And Happy Future! to you David.

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Hailstone

Welcome to the ranks of the Ladies and Gentlemen of leisure! Merry Christmas and a Happy new year

All the best,

Alex

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations