Ibertren three rail

Started by Ozymandias, April 19, 2016, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozymandias

I recently got a spares/repair Ibertren 3 rail loco from ebay. It seems to work OK and with a bit of a clean and a service could be made into a nice little loco again.

My question is - would it be a total vandalism/blasphemy to try and convert it to run on 2 rails as a normal loco, or is there a big 3 rail market out there that might want it as it is?!
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

deibid

Not at all! it's something I've done twice so far... Ibertren 3 ladder locos are quite unreliable. Spanish modelers use to convert 3 ladder locos to normal N gauge, just search "kit de conversion 3N 2N" and you'll see plenty of conversion kits that allow the process.
Is the most common question regarding Ibertren old stock.
Next station...

deibid

Let's illustrate with an example:

That was a 3N ALCO 2100 converted to regular N gauge running in my layout. Didn't use a kit, just fitted a Grafar class 31 chassis underneath. It's a bit of a hack, but it really fits PERFECTLY.  :heart2:
Next station...

Ozymandias

Quote from: deibid on April 19, 2016, 01:28:37 PM
Not at all! it's something I've done twice so far... Ibertren 3 ladder locos are quite unreliable. Spanish modelers use to convert 3 ladder locos to normal N gauge, just search "kit de conversion 3N 2N" and you'll see plenty of conversion kits that allow the process.
Is the most common question regarding Ibertren old stock.

Thanks for the tip and advice!

The one I've got is a steam tender loco, and I couldn't see any conversion kits for anything other than diesels, so I will have to try to make my own - or just use the motorised tender to power something else! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations