Magazines

Started by galway, June 23, 2011, 06:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galway

We have a very limited selection of railway modelling magazines over here, well we get most titles, but one month you can get - Model Rail, next month - British Railway Modelling, next month - Railway Modeller etc etc.

I suppose I could subscribe to one, or all of them but I dont see the value in it. I like the content in Model Rail the best, I dont know why it just seems to read better than the others I've read, and I feel the few times I've bought Railway Modeller that I've wasted my money but that may be the only one available that month (this month July they still mention xmas 2010 in one advert). The only magazine I get that I really look forward to is N Gauge society mag.

Are there any better magazines out there that I am missing out on.

Paul

ps I find this forum the most interesting, entertaining and informative, and maybe I should save my money and buy more n gauge stuff.
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

scruff

I'm the same as you Galway Model Rail is my favourite, closely followed by the modelling section in Rail Express. I also read Railway Modeller, got all 3 on subscription and they generally arrive a few days before the publication date.

I think its the content in Model Rail and Rail Express(wish there was more in this one) and the ad's in Railway Modeller that attract me.

HTH

Mark

bluedepot

hi,

to be honest i find that the model train magazines get a bit samey after a while....

i usually read them all in whsmiths (hornby, brm, model rail, railway modeller, continental modeller, rail express... sometimes american ones too) then i just select one to buy, depending on the articles. i think model rail is my favourite if i had to choose. whsmiths don't seem to mind if you stand there for ages reading them....

nowadays you can use the internet to get advice / tips etc. so i guess the learning side of it is covered, not to say you dont learn through reading magazines as well.

at the moment i like rail express and traction (not model magazine, it's 70s-90s br diesel and electrics)

i get the ngs magazine but don't subscribe to any others...

do libraries have these magazines in them i wonder????

tim

galway

Rail Express is a magazine I hav'nt heard of over here, I'll have a look for it next time I'm in Easons (our WH Smith).
Thanks both for mentioning it.
Paul
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

bluedepot

rail express modeller is nearly all modern stuff (well... 1970s onwards) and it's a supplement to the main magazine http://www.railexpress.co.uk/

to be honest i'm not bothered about this supplement, it's sometimes interesting, but i just buy the magazine because i like the rest of it...

best wishes,

tim

longbridge

I guess I am pretty lucky as I buy my magazines s/h by the bag full at 10 cents or 7p each, they are out of date by two or three years but that doesn't worry me, the price of a current Model Rail mag in Oz is $12 or about 9 quid UK so I tend to give them a miss.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

porkie

I tend to only buy model railway mags if  thier is something of interest in them now a days...

But I do just pick up rail express with out flicking through it :thumbsup:
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

poliss

I gave up buying magazines years ago. Everything in them is just one big advert and I'm not talking about the advertising pages. I found I was spending more money on them than on actual models.

For those living in Aussie Trailier there's the online N Scale Modeller available as a free download.
http://www.nscale.org.au/

barkfast

I have a good mate at work that subscribes to Model Rail, Hornby and Rail Express. He brings them in each month.....   :wave: cheers Martin

I dont mind both Model Rail and Hornby magazines. Both have very interesting articles. I particularly like articles that focus on a specific operation eg milk traffic. Also find their product reviews worthwhile. Featured layouts are well presented, and the macro cameo type shots are great - I think it would be worthwhile to also have a complete photo of the full layout to complement the close ups.

It would be good if publishers a list of the featured articles and reviews online. I get frustrated searching for info through volumes of magazines.... plus it would no doubt boost sales of past editions.

I model GWR steam so Rail Express is not that relevant.

Rod

I generally like Railway Modeller and Continental Modeller best, and the US Model Railroader, but it does vary from month to month. Each month I say I'm not going to bother but I always end up buying one.

But after two or three months, I cut out any pages I want to keep - usually boils down to just one or two articles at most - and chuck the rest away.

Rod

ToothFairy

I find RM good value; although it's published by Peco, it doesn't push the Peco barrow too hard.

But the best for my money are the NGS Journal (members only, but what great value membership is!) and Nspirations from Grahame Hedges - a bit ad hoc as far as "schedule" goes (like a good ole BR timetable), but great when it comes out.

- Michael

michael

model rail is pretty good but I do find it very biased in favour of 00. They tend to forget that we even exist sometimes. Having said that a lot of the stuff thats generic, scenery tips and what have you can be very good.

longbridge

I think most model railway magazines are pretty good but like Digital Camera Reviews I take Locomotive Reviews with a pinch of salt, I remember some reviews on locos that got rave status that turned out to be real dogs.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

bluedepot

QuoteEach month I say I'm not going to bother but I always end up buying one

yeh i'm the same....

the reviews are over the top i think, hailing each new loco as the best yet... i think the reviews could be made shorter as well, do they need 3 pages or whatever....?

anyway.... we do have a great selection of magazines available so that's a good thing i think.

tim

Lawrence

I wish there was some English language Japanese publications available.  I know of 2 books, one of which I have, the other I saw on single copy on Amazon a while back, second hand, but at over $250 I gave it a miss.

Fortunately the JNS forum is a good source of information and there are a couple of other web sources, but unlike when I started with the Baltimore & Ohio where I was able to pick up loads of books and Model Railroader easily enough, my venture into Japanese modelling is a real stab in the dark  ::)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations