Warning about IPA

Started by austinbob, June 27, 2016, 09:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

It's brilliant for stripping Farish coaches, prior to using vinyls or whatever - leave for 24 hours and the paint just falls off leaving a perfectly clear shell. I was so impressed I did too many. Sure I can think of something to do with the extras!  :doh:

SheldonC

Thanks, everyone; I think I've got it now - IPA's OK on unpainted wheels or for removing unwanted paint, but don't drink it as it's not as good as ethyl alcohol .

edwin_m

I used a small eye dropper with a rubber bulb to fill my Tomix track cleaner with IPA.  After a few years it had eaten through the bulb.  At least I assume that's what it was. 

port perran

Accidentally  spilt a drop or two on the roof of a siphon G which I only noticed next day but .......it actually looks quite authentic as weathering so decided to leave it.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Mr Sprue

Correct me if I am wrong but I think it has some connection with Acetone, which would explain why it may attack some plastic especially abs or polystyrene.

austinbob

I don't think IPA has any connection with acetone and it doesn't have much effect on most plastics. I did a previous post on this _ can't find the link. However IPA attacks paint.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

cutting42

Quote from: austinbob on July 03, 2017, 07:39:36 PM
I don't think IPA has any connection with acetone and it doesn't have much effect on most plastics. I did a previous post on this _ can't find the link. However IPA attacks paint.

You can make IPA by hydrogenating Acetone, that is pretty much the only connection other than being organic.

silly moo

I got a drop of IPA on the tender of a loco, noticed straight away and managed to cure most of the damage later with polishing compound but it was pretty nerve wracking.  I have always been very careful with it but accidents do happen, especially if you're not concentrating fully.

austinbob

Found the link here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37820.msg448703#msg448703
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Mr Sprue

Quote from: austinbob on July 04, 2017, 08:18:02 AM
Found the link here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37820.msg448703#msg448703

Where it states that it can damage ABS! 

It wont attack polypropylene, a lot of solvents don't even Acetone, I can confirm this as I use quite a lot of the stuff which is sold to me in 5ltr polypropelene cans!

Bealman

5 litres of acetone? What do you use all that evil stuff for?  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Bealman on July 04, 2017, 09:22:17 AM
5 litres of acetone? What do you use all that evil stuff for?  :hmmm:

Just checked now down to about 7.5 ltrs!  :)

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

silly moo

You must wear an awful lot of nail polish  :D

cutting42

I buy it in 5l cans as well and use it to get tyres for RC racing cars off the rims once worn out. They are glued on with CA and the acetone softens it very effectively leaving the wheel rims ready for a new set of tyres.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations