WWII aviation images - a stunning and thought provoking collection.

Started by daffy, January 21, 2017, 03:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

All my life I have been interested in aviation, and like many children of the immediate post-war generation I built Airfix and Revell kits of my mechanical heroes and hung them from my bedroom ceiling with cotton thread and drawing pins.

It was only later in life that I began to understand and appreciate the human endeavour, valour and sacrifice that accompanied these mere plastic creations.

Today, that interest is as great as ever, and living in 'Bomber County', short miles from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby, closer still to the airfield-based museum and Lancaster 'Just Jane' at East Kirkby, and with modern Typhoons and other wonders of the air almost daily passing overhead my home, forever will it stay.

As part of that interest I link to many organisations around the world, and the latest communique from Vintage Wings of Canada is a real gem.  It is a collection of photos, all from WWII, most of which I have never seen before, but all of which are truly remarkable and evocative of those never to be forgotten days.

Having viewed them I am moved to post a link here for all those interested in aviation, as well as those who might appreciate the beauty, tragedy and reality of what it was like to be involved in the creation of the freedom many of us enjoy today.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/581/The-Right-Place-at-the-Right-Time.aspx

Lest we forget.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

I have just received my renewal for the BBMF annual membership (we get our post late here some days) , and it unexpectedly includes a free card image, a sepia toned watercolour of a bomber crew leaving their aircraft after a mission. It is by Mandy Shepherd, and entitled 'Salute to the Many'.

This morning I was looking through the Vintage Wings photos noted above and this image came to view:

It is the exact image the artist has used for her work!

One of those weird coincidences.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

Thanks @daffy ,
Only had a quick browse, but fascinating stuff. Clicked through to the piece on the 'Green Cross' flights - new to me - which I'll have to find the time to read in full.

Zogbert Splod

What a fabulous post! My father was RAF and I was brought up partly in married quarters. I can't thank you enough for posting this.

Zogbert the RAF brat.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations