dapol hst

Started by matt-b, May 02, 2011, 08:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi

yes i'm certainly happy with my swallow livery hst. just weighing up wheather to add an executive livery one as well! they could use the same coaches that way...

cheers

tim

richie894

Resurrecting an old thread here, but thinking of getting the blue/ grey version. I see a lot of negative posts/ feedback online. So what is the verdict? Yay or nay?

I have read that the DZ-125-IN decoder should work well.

Pete Mc

Well,from me it would be a resounding yes because I have 3 of them.I have two early issue western region blue/greys and a Network Rail New Measurement Train.

I have converted one set to dcc sound myself using Loksound v4micro's.There is one in the powercar and another one in the dummy powercar.The dummy powercar has 2 CT sugarcube speakers and is for an n gauge model,really loud so I'm going to have to fit a second speaker in the guards section of the powercar.

Unlike others,I have had no problems with my three apart from the NMT blowing a diode on the pcb which means the red lights work but the white ones don't.This is no problem though as when I get around to fitting it with sound decoders,the pcb's are always removed.It also showed me how bad some of the Dapol models poor soldering,albeit their chinese manufacturing partners.

I really like my hst's,so its top marks to Dapol from me.They are very good indeed.

Pete
:Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Pengi

is it easy to fit a replacement diode for the lights :help:

To give an indication of my soldering ability, I am still learning soldering but can solder 0402 SMDs (I know I won't be soldering these to the HST)
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Sprintex

Quote from: richie894 on November 14, 2013, 11:12:27 PM
Yay or nay?

Big YAY from me too :thumbsup:

Had my Intercity Swallow one from when they first came out, never had a problem, mine is fitted with TCS EUN651 chips but the DZ125 should work just as well :)

Paul

Jack

I had three, all three ended back at supplier for refunds with in three months! One smoked, two stopped dead no life in motors. All three were first releases, all were oiled with Dapol oil and ran in according to instructions. Things may have got better since, I don't know.

Maybe I was just unlucky but I've never bought another Dapol loco since the fourth loco, a class 58, stopped dead. Never had any problems with any of my Farish units.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Dr Al

Generally Yay.

There are some issues as seem always the case with Dapol stock:

- Coupling heights - there seems to be a coupling height issue between the power cars and the Mk3 coaches, and this can result in frequent uncoupling. I've yet to spend much time resolving this (so not sure whether it's the coaches or powercars that are to blame) as I generally run the troublesome sets with the powercar at the rear pushing.

- there can be a lot of drag on the dummy cars (and friction in the powercar drives) as there is a design issue meaning there is barely enought clearance (and sometimes no clearance) between the tops of the wheel flanges and the underside of the chassis - this can be resolved by filing or milling out the areas in question from the chassis base (it's a plastic part, so not that hard to do).

- the usual Dapol overheating motor issues can occur - my first set went back with a slow running overheating motor that got so hot that the chassis could not actually be picked up after a few laps. Subsequent sets have been fine

- if the lights don't work on the dummy car, check the PCB - I have a Virgin set that was completely missing the DCC socket on the PCB. Once one was soldered in things worked fine.

Generally the top speed isn't that high I've found, but fast enough once run in - it's a fairly good range such that slow speed performance is very good.

Asthetically it looks superb, and a leap above the previous generation Farish model, and a full set with light bars installed certainly turns heads!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

richie894

I went ahead and ordered a blue/grey one from Hattons. I took someones advice and asked them to test it on their track and check for cosmetic issues before shipping.

Mike W

A yay from me, but a word of caution.

I have 2 of them and they're fine, but a mate's Grand Central set has severe uncoupling issues, down to the height of the couplers. In some coaches they droop more than in others and the set has been a pain to get sorted & running well. We did figure it out, though, in the end but the coaches have had to be marked up so that he knows which way to put them on the track.

To be fair, this is probably quite easily fixable by modifying the couplings and as I said, mine haven't been a problem at all.

mk1gtstu

A yay from me also but they are a bit hit & miss, my swallow livery one runs lovely, smooth & quiet & had no problems with it, they also look superb! :claphappy: But I've recently bought a blue/grey version & it doesn't seem to run as well, it hesitates occasionally from cold until it warms up then it runs smoothly  :hmmm:, It doesn't seem to get hot or make any nasty noises so I'm hoping it will improve a bit with time & a lot more running.

cheers, Stu.  :)
My Box File Layout (South Wales Valleys Colliery) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10430.0

Porthkerry (A South Wales layout in BR Blue) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39654.0

Abercwm Colliery (South Wales Area) https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47521.0

scotsoft

I was a bit concerned about buying the Grand Central HST after reading up about ups and downs with Dapol.

However my set has run very well straight from the box, no issues at all  :claphappy:

I would like them to release other coaches to make up a full set but I will just have to be patient for those  :(

cheers John.

scruff

All 3 of mine, all first issue, have been great but not seen a lot of use.

Had missing cab door handrails on the executive power cars though.

Cheers

Mark

richie894

I can not say enough about Hattons customer service. I placed the order last night with a note to test before shipping. I received a call this morning on my cell phone in the USA from them in the UK. They said they had tested it and it runs good and there are no cosmetic issues. Also that it would be shipping within 48 hours. What great service.

mk1gtstu

Some photos for you  ;)

cheers, Stu.  :)
My Box File Layout (South Wales Valleys Colliery) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10430.0

Porthkerry (A South Wales layout in BR Blue) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39654.0

Abercwm Colliery (South Wales Area) https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47521.0

Jameswgm

Unbelievable how much better the Dapol model looks than my ancient Poole era farish. If they re-released the FGW liveried one, no question I'd buy one.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations