dapol hst

Started by matt-b, May 02, 2011, 08:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hmmmmm, i'm in two minds now about whether to swap it for a blue/grey one :( i will compare coaches later on and see what i think... maybe

is a gaugemaster 6 pin decoder any good? this is the only type in stock at my local shop that will fit it ok.

cheers

tim

scruff

I've got both Blue/grey and swallow versions, maybe I'm easily pleased but I'm really pleased with them both. To my mind they are a huge improvement over the old Farish models which were good for their day but look dated compared to the new Dapol HST. The extra blue/grey coaches need the roofs painting black, The swallow liveried coaches need replacing with new colour ones and the existing grey ones relettered to executive style with black painted roofs which will hopefully go with the executive livery set. I don't know what to do about the extra window on the DMLV, maybe milliput and paint it falcon grey or else renumber it as a DMB. For some reason I've not got very wobbly nose lines on the swallow set, unless you magnify the lines they look ok and the lamp lenses look fine to me as well.

HTH
Mark

bluedepot

anyone know when can you buy the matching coaches to go with the swallow set?

tim

scruff

Dapol are saying they should be available next month(july).

HTH
Mark

bluedepot

thanks mark, think i'll buy some of these then so they will match the set.

i now have the hst running, using a gaugemaster decoder. it's running ok so far.... just a few uncoupling incidents but running smoothly. i'm running it in now...

cheers

tim

Dr Al

Looking at the snaps of the IC Swallow one on Hattons, theres seems some strange stuff going on - as well as the iffy painting of the striping around the nose the "Intercity" branding looks printed too low down the coach bodysides, and the front end lights of the powercar 43118 don't match the other powercar! They look oddly curved upwards!

Think I'll stick with my old faithful Farish one for now!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

bluedepot

"the front end lights of the powercar 43118 don't match the other powercar! They look oddly curved upwards!"
lights are fine on my one i'm pleased to say :)

it's running well too so far, and it now has chips in both power cars so i can control the lights.

best wishes

tim

scruff

I just noticed Hattons are showing the executive livery set as in stock.

Mark

bluedepot

any pictures of the executive set?

it's so hard to know in advance what livery to chose with new releases....

Adam1701D

The Executive set is now on sale, though with INTERCITY Swallow-era coaches... :thumbsdown:

It's true that there would have been rare occastions that two exec power cars would have worked a Swallow-branded rake from 1988 onwards but this seems to be a really strange choice. Blue/Grey Mk3s would have been a better choice, IMHO.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Dr Al

Quote from: captainelectra on August 22, 2011, 08:04:00 AM
The Executive set is now on sale, though with INTERCITY Swallow-era coaches... :thumbsdown:

It's true that there would have been rare occastions that two exec power cars would have worked a Swallow-branded rake from 1988 onwards but this seems to be a really strange choice. Blue/Grey Mk3s would have been a better choice, IMHO.

Is it just me or does it sound like Dapol doing this on the cheap - saving them having to tool for printing the older style Intercity Executive coach livery?

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Adam1701D

I couldn't possibly comment. At least not on a public forum... :smiley-laughing:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Dock Shunter

Slightly off topic but agreeing with Zunnans overall analysis of Dapol products,the Cl26 and 121 are high
on mine and many others wants list and instead of looking forward to the release of these models,because of what has gone before,there is a slight feeling of apprehension.Does anyone else feel like this..?Hopefully it will be unfounded and we get great models but i think Dapol need to start listening to their customer base on the issue of QC...

Dr Al

Quote from: Dock Shunter on August 22, 2011, 12:54:25 PM
instead of looking forward to the release of these models,because of what has gone before,there is a slight feeling of apprehension.Does anyone else feel like this..?

Yes, have done since the first 9F - everything since I've bought on hope rather than expectation.  ::)

Cheers,
Alan

Newportnobby

I have a 121 on pre-order with Rails of Sheffield and, like most, have some misgivings as I keep telling myself not to purchase Dapol locos.
Still, it's either that or go without. I won't be standing any nonsense though. It either works or goes back ::)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations