dapol hst

Started by matt-b, May 02, 2011, 08:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

EC will still be having buffet cars as normal. The big change form Monday will be a complimentary at-seat meal for all first class customers, served airline-style instead of the traditional restaurant car service. This will be more like the service in first class on Eurostar or Virgin.

All the fleet has been to Brush at Loughborough for modifications to accommodate the new catering trollies.

FGW will be the only remaining operator to offer any sort of restaurant car in regular service.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

D306Whistler

What about East Midlands Trains? Have they dropped the Buffet Cars as well then? :(.
Check out my YouTube channel here
My Flickr Transport & Model Railway Gallery!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

bluedepot

think east mids trains re-fitted their hst sets to just have a trolley....

i think that's crap because you have to walk down the train to find it if u want a tea and don't have time to wait for it to get to you....

tim

Pete Mc

Hello chaps,just thought I'd tell everyone the blue/grey liveried hst book set is now in the shops.
Rails of Sheffield rang me up just after lunch to tell me they were in so I duly went and bought two of em.It would be rude not to wouldn't it.
Anyway,as some may be wondering,what are they like?
Short answer is,fantastic.Once I got them home,I oiled them and let em run round with just the dummy power cars on,then coupled them up to a full rake of mk3's of farish and dapol.As it became apparent to me that on the inclines of my layout are 70mm along a 4ft run it struggles with 8 coaches so one was removed which solved this minor problem.
Also,due to the lack of weight in the farish mk3's,they,in my opinion are not a good match with the dapol stock,nor do they run as smoothly,but then my farish mk3's are quite old and a bit battered.
As far as detail,paint finish and running capabilities are concerned,I would say they are top notch.Just what I've wanted on my layout for months.They look great at speed and go a bit too.Sometimes its nice to watch trains going fast and these don't dissappoint.It would be my guess that these will sell out in no time so be quick.
By the way,Dapol Dave didn't pay me owt for writing this.
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

scruff

Just a quick question..

Are exhaust deflectors included with the blue/grey HST?

thanks

Mark

H

They were with my one; in the bag of extras for self fitting.

H.

scruff

thanks H . I scrubbed a blue/grey hst off my shopping list because of the lack of roof deflectors. The Mrs was very happy. Now she's going to be cross when i put it back on! Thanks again. Mark.

H

Quote from: scruff on June 06, 2011, 06:56:25 PM
I scrubbed a blue/grey hst off my shopping list because of the lack of roof deflectors.

Crumbs, I would have thought that going without would be a bit drastic for such a small issue - after all it'd be very easy to knock up some from plasticard yourself if they weren't included.  ;)

H.

Lawrence

Quote from: H on June 07, 2011, 12:17:28 AM
Quote from: scruff on June 06, 2011, 06:56:25 PM
I scrubbed a blue/grey hst off my shopping list because of the lack of roof deflectors.

Crumbs, I would have thought that going without would be a bit drastic for such a small issue - after all it'd be very easy to knock up some from plasticard yourself if they weren't included;)

H.

I feel a "How to" coming on H  ;)
:smiley-laughing:

MJKERR

TPM still do a HST enhancement pack, 1600
Therefore where the air deflector is missing this could be modified and added to the Dapol model

H

Quote from: mjkerr on June 07, 2011, 09:07:14 AM
TPM still do a HST enhancement pack, 1600 Therefore where the air deflector is missing this could be modified and added to the Dapol model

No need to make one or to adapt the TPM kit, they come with the Dapol HSTs and if any were missing I'm sure Dapol would supply them directly as a replacement.  ;D

H.

scruff

H, we definitely need a how to..

I bit the bullet, upset the Mrs and bought a blue/grey HST from Hattons this afternoon.

Now how do I fit those pesky deflectors without getting glue everywhere and which glue would be best?

It is a cracking model and looked really good sat on Hattons test track next to a sound fitted Dapol 10000 loco which looked brilliant.

Mark

Dr Al

Just got one and after 2 hours running in (in which time it's got ridiculously hot) I've just timed the scale speed flat out - it takes a whisker under 2 seconds to cover 300mm - i.e. one second to cover 150mm, or one second to cover a scale 72.5 feet.

If I round 72.5 feet per second up to 80 feet per second to be generous the scale speed = 55 MPH !!!!!!!!!!! :(  >:(

I thought it was an Intercity 125....and one once did 143MPH to gain a speed record?

Sorry, but I'm very very unimpressed - current consumption is high (250mA), scale speed is low (55mph - I don't know whether to laugh or cry......) and it gets very hot.

Poor.

Regards,
Alan

P.s. this is not being run on anything strange either - standard Peco code 55, nothing tighter than 14" radius, on a Gaugemaster D (i.e. a fairly bog standard DC controller).
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

MJKERR

I would be concerned about the heat
Where exactly is it being generated from?

I have a similar issue with my Dapol Voyagers, but without the heat
They do not run at a scale 125mph, but there is great low speed control
Sadly I think Dapol have transferred the technology from Class 66 / 67 into these two models, great for low speed but not practical for recreating high speed trains (which can run for several hours)

Dr Al

Quote from: mjkerr on June 17, 2011, 10:22:00 PM
I would be concerned about the heat
Where exactly is it being generated from?

It's from the motor - presumably this is shot in some way. The current consumption does not change if you take it off track and even if you unclip the bogies.

It was oiled carefully as directed on the instruction sheet (even though on this Dapol can't spell the word "lubrication"....). Like you say it's concerning (even if the speed was ok) for the longevity of the unit.

My 86s run much faster, and look to have a largely similar mechanism, so it should be better than this.

It's going back.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations