Peco Collett goods loco -NL-27

Started by geofff, April 24, 2023, 09:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofff

Hello

There is a Peco , Collett goods loco for sale. Does anyone have any knowledge on the performance , spares situation or age of this model?  I didn't know that Peco manufactured locomotives.

Regards

GrahamB

I have two and both are reliable performers. I think I'm right in saying they were the first N Gauge locos to be supplied fitted with DCC chips. They work fine on DC though.

As regards spares, I think Peters Spares may have some but, in all the years I've owned them (I did have a GWR exhibition layout) I've never needed a spare part.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Newportnobby

Quote from: GrahamB on April 24, 2023, 09:34:12 AM
I have two and both are reliable performers. I think I'm right in saying they were the first N Gauge locos to be supplied fitted with DCC chips. They work fine on DC though.

AFAIK they are fitted with a Lenz decoder which recognises both digital and analogue. Me being a DC dinosaur just put it on my layout and it ran just fine. Not sure the tender is correct per the prototype. I really like mine but can't remember how old it is. Maybe I should put such a detail in my stock spreadsheet :hmmm:

Bealman

It was produced in the mid, maybe early, noughties.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: GrahamB on April 24, 2023, 09:34:12 AM
I think I'm right in saying they were the first N Gauge locos to be supplied fitted with DCC chips. They work fine on DC though.

Well, let's say first British N loco to be supplied DCC fitted - the Continentals had been doing it for years before :)  This caused some grumpiness at the time with people objecting to paying for a decoder they didn't want/need for their DC layouts.  It will run on DC unless that's been turned off in the decoder, with the usual proviso that the running characteristics will be different to a plain DC loco. No doubt the decoder could be removed and the motor wired for DC if really necessary.

Some concerns over the size/correctness of the tender?

It is tender drive.  I don't own one, so I don't know is it wired "Americian pickup" style - half loco and half tender - like the old Peco Jubilee and the Union Mills locos?

Quote from: geofff on April 24, 2023, 09:04:33 AM
I didn't know that Peco manufactured locomotives.
Have you never come across a Peco Jubilee?  A collaboration between Peco and Rivarossi, back in the 1970s it was considered the "Rolls Royce" of British N steam locos, superior to other contemporary models.   They still turn up on ebay, you just have to be aware that they are old, are known for brittle plastic parts (although some are still available from Peters Spares)  and delicate motors (you can't get those any more).

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Dr Al

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 24, 2023, 10:03:56 AM
It is tender drive.  I don't own one, so I don't know is it wired "Americian pickup" style - half loco and half tender - like the old Peco Jubilee and the Union Mills locos?

Very early ones do; but the vast majority have all wheel loco pickup and a number of tender wheel pickups.

In terms of spares, quite a few still available from Peter's spares, and the only big one not is the motor.

However, the motor is a standard Mashima 1015, a very high quality 5 pole can motor which shouldn't give issues (they can sometimes need freeing up as can the drive gearing), and can still be obtained occasionally.

Performance is therefore pretty sublime, and the DCC decoder (a version of the Lenz Silver) is also very good. Decoders can still be obtained from Lendons.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

geofff

Very many thanks for the information. It still amazes me how much knowledge there is on this forum.

PLD

The tender is of the correct type for some of the class, but is not the most common version.
The majority towed the smaller 3000? gal capacity version. I assume they choose to model the larger version to allow more space for the DCC kit.

Bealman

I read somewhere that is in fact, correct.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob G

I have both Union Mills and Peco versions of this loco.

Union MIlls has the usual tender for this loco, whereas I have only ever seen one photograph of a Collett goods with the Peco tender. It is nevertheless a GWR tender, just looks a big big for the job.
The detail on the Peco version is streets ahead compared to the Union Mills version, however. In an ideal world I'd have the detail of the Peco with the tender of the UM.
And there is no problem running the loco on DC, provided the factory settings have not been messed with.
Both models have shiny driving wheels. Peco were just too late to the party, as the model was released just when everyone was chemically treating their wheels to not be shiny.

I'd get a Peco one and enjoy it.

Bob

Bigmac

Quote from: geofff on April 24, 2023, 09:04:33 AM
Hello

There is a Peco , Collett goods loco for sale. Does anyone have any knowledge on the performance , spares situation or age of this model?  I didn't know that Peco manufactured locomotives.

Regards

youve never heard of the Peco Jubilee?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Newportnobby

Peco also showed a Hymek in their catalogue (ref NL-3) but I've never seen one

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 24, 2023, 04:56:05 PM

There was the whitemetal kit of course, for the old Arnold V160 chassis. That was NL-3C  I believe.   
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bob G

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 24, 2023, 04:56:05 PM
You must have seen the Peco Wills whitemetal kit on the Arnold chassis? Everyone had one. I had two (why are you not surprised, he he), and then I had two Silver Fox resin bodies on Farish Class 25/33 chassis (but I preferred the Peco model's shape).

geofff

This auction  item is now up to £62.00 in three days. Must be in short supply , or someone really wants it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £60.23
Below Goal: £39.77
Site Currency: GBP
60% 
April Donations