Electronic rail cleaning.

Started by chrispearce, January 10, 2021, 12:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmac

Quote from: Papyrus on January 10, 2021, 03:21:25 PM
I used to have a Relco on my old layout many moons ago, but frankly it was worse than useless. These days, I use the free rail cleaners that come with Magnum ice cream bars  :) . The sticks (washed, of course) are just the right width to rub along the rails. They don't abrade the rail surface but get loads of muck off. I have a good supply at present, unfortunately, as we got through a lot of ice creams during the summer...

Cheers,

Chris

the wooden things..?  yechh--i wish they were plastic--i hate the sensation of licking them, which is necessary to enjoy every last vestige of the icecream.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Bigmac

Quote from: chrism on January 10, 2021, 02:34:04 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on January 10, 2021, 02:21:50 PM
i know it sounds daft--but would over cleaning be the problem ? using a rag to rub the rails creating static electricity--would this affect the loco pickup ?

I very much doubt it - if any static doesn't get discharged simply by being connected to the controller it'll be completely wiped out as soon as the controller applies power to the track.

so why would these locos need cleaning all the time ?  i have one--not used for months==so i plonked it on a track and off it trundled--first time--perfectly.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

chrism

Quote from: Papyrus on January 10, 2021, 03:21:25 PM
These days, I use the free rail cleaners that come with Magnum ice cream bars  :) . The sticks (washed, of course) are just the right width to rub along the rails. They don't abrade the rail surface but get loads of muck off. I have a good supply at present, unfortunately, as we got through a lot of ice creams during the summer...

Thanks, I needed an excuse to stock up on those   ;D

ntpntpntp

I had a couple of Relcos on my N layout back in the 70s running mostly Minitrix locos with the odd Farish and Lima, they certainly have an effect of maintaining the circuit continuity (they don't clean the track) but at the expense of some arcing and leaving deposits of black dirt.  As soon as you introduce any lengthy wiring they loose their effectiveness as there are too many joints etc. 

I have actually tested a Gaugemaster unit with my Z gauge models and again it does have some effect but I won't be planning to incorporate one into a layout.

As has been written they are bad for modern models with electronic components on board, and are not compatible with DCC (neither are HF coach lighting units suitable for DCC).   

Bottom line is ** DON'T TOUCH THEM **

There is no substitute for cleaning the track *and all loco and stock wheels* by hand, whether it be with a track rubber (my preference) or a pad and potion approach.  I've found that cleaning wagons and locos just don't really do the job and are a waste of money in my opinion***   I have a few such cleaning wagons including an expensive Lux wagon (only bought it because it cost me £12 instead of £150  :D ) but I don't use them. I can pull my layout out of storage after many months in the garage and a light burnishing with a track rubber or bath rubber gets everything ready for a typical weekend show.   

*** Other than the G scale LGB track cleaning loco, that actually does work quite well but its got some weight and grunt!!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

zopadooper

Quote from: Bigmac on January 10, 2021, 12:53:16 PM
going back 40 years ago--i ran a relco with a digitol gemini ( anyone remember them ) on my n gauge german outline layout. peco live frog points.

I have got a couple of 40 year old Relcos.  They seem to have a demand on ebAY so perhaps I will put them there.  I don't intend to use them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 10, 2021, 05:45:13 PM

*** Other than the G scale LGB track cleaning loco, that actually does work quite well but its got some weight and grunt!!

Sadly, with the gym being closed for months, so have I :-[

PLD

Quote from: Bigmac on January 10, 2021, 02:21:50 PM
just thinking--is it possible to over-clean the rail tops ?

i was discussing a problem on a facebook group--someone had bad running issues with some dapol panniers--and was blaming the loco pickup arrangement--saying he had to strip and clean them often--and cleaned the rail every day.

i know it sounds daft--but would over cleaning be the problem ? using a rag to rub the rails creating static electricity--would this affect the loco pickup ?
What is he cleaning the rails with? Some "cleaning fluids" if not used properly don't actually remove the dirt, just redistribute it...
Applying the fluid only loosens the dirt and holds it in suspension. If you don't then remove the liquid (with some sort of absorbent material), when the liquid evaporates it releases it back wherever it lies.

Railwaygun

YOu can buy packs of tongue depressors on eBay / boots

https://www.medisupplies.co.uk/Medical-Consumables/Tongue-Depressors/Tongue-Depressors-Non-Sterile?

Or coffee stirrers free from local cafe
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Bealman

I've come late to this thread, but I too experimented with a Relco in the past. They're worse than useless.

As others have said, avoid at all costs.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations