NGS Rover cube wagon

Started by Tackleberry, August 25, 2020, 10:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tackleberry

I have no idea why I bought a kit apart from the fact I liked the look of it :smiley-laughing:
Now I've semi dropped the idea of doing something aggregates based, this has given me an idea of a layout based around this wagon!!!
What would the place they loaded/unloaded at Longbridge and Swindon look like?
I've tried googling it but not a lot came up...
And oh yes doubled RfD 47's  :thumbsup:

Chris Morris

If these wagons were the ones that brought body panels from the Swindon to the New West Works at Longbridge then they were unloaded inside the building. They were shunted from BR tracks through the site by an industrial loco past an ex Midland Railway signal box and under the A38 to the West Works sidings. From there they were shunted inside the works for unloading.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Tackleberry

Quote from: Chris Morris on August 25, 2020, 10:31:41 PM
If these wagons were the ones that brought body panels from the Swindon to the New West Works at Longbridge then they were unloaded inside the building. They were shunted from BR tracks through the site by an industrial loco past an ex Midland Railway signal box and under the A38 to the West Works sidings. From there they were shunted inside the works for unloading.

They're the ones  :thumbsup:

njee20

There were some at Bescot last week I noticed. Not sure that's any help.

Chris Morris

As there were often prototype cars on the plant photography was not allowed on site so photos might well be rare. The west works was a modern building (in those days) built specifically for making Metro bodies. This was quite a state of the art facility. I'm sure I saw somewhere that half the robots in the UK were in this plant at the time. I didn't get many chances to see the trains as i didn't work anywhere near that facility. My slightly misty memory is that they were hauled by an industrial shunted into a yard and then pushed backwards into the plant through a roller shutter door for unloading inside the new west works straight into the robot controlled panel storage area.

It would be reasonable to have a single track appearing from under a road bridge  (the A38) running between a modern factory unit on one side and a stream on the other. You need three tracks all  connected to the single line and also points at the other end so they form run round loops. The you also need a point from the single track into the building. That's about all.

At the other end of the plant (about a mile away) you need a rake of cartics to to the completed cars away. There was quite a railway installation at Longbridge site. The Great Central Railway "windcutter" wagon train was largely made up from the scrap carrying wagons on Longbridge site.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations