Plans for a micro layout

Started by IkBrunel, May 26, 2020, 07:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IkBrunel

I have small loop on a board that measures 77cm x 55cm. After finding my old peco setrack plans I've found the PLAN 25. Caersws looks quite interesting and will fit on my board. It will also allow me to try out some techniques for the Landscaping that I haven't got around to on my main layout so I can make all the mistakes on this. ;) do you guys think it is an efficient use of space?

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/ekmps/shops/osbornsmodels/images/peco-new-plan-027-n-scale-rural-micro-layout-caersws--7703-p.jpg

Newportnobby

It's always good to have somewhere to experiment, practise and then transfer the good bits to something larger. The bad bits you just don't tell anyone about :no: :angel:

IkBrunel

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 26, 2020, 09:18:40 PM
It's always good to have somewhere to experiment, practise and then transfer the good bits to something larger. The bad bits you just don't tell anyone about :no: :angel:
That's what I was thinking. My bigger layout is nothing more than a board and track With platforms and station etc . It's been that way for a few years. I built the smaller layout and tried to squeeze in too much track. I think it's time to try my hand at scenery on the layout now and this will be ideal. Just wondered if there will be enough track to keep me occupied on there.

Newportnobby

You'll not be able to do a huge amount owing to the sheer simplicity of the track plan but, given a small fiddle yard stage left, you can have a play now and then. It's also a good place to photograph things and practise that as well.
The fiddle yard could be simple cassettes, a sector plate, traverser or just a small add on board.

IkBrunel

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 26, 2020, 09:33:26 PM
You'll not be able to do a huge amount owing to the sheer simplicity of the track plan but, given a small fiddle yard stage left, you can have a play now and then. It's also a good place to photograph things and practise that as well.
The fiddle yard could be simple cassettes, a sector plate, traverser or just a small add on board.
I'm more than open to other suggestions if you have any. Really appreciate your input so far.

crewearpley40

Maybe another board as mick suggested to practice on and use as a fiddle yard would add interest. Look at windmill hill layout and adapt that . https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39207.0

IkBrunel

Quote from: crewearpley40 on May 26, 2020, 10:15:46 PM
Maybe another board as mick suggested to practice on and use as a fiddle yard would add interest. Look at windmill hill layout and adapt that . https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39207.0
The work on that is stunning. This layout will by my 2nd/ 3rd layout and something I can make mistakes on before putting them into practice on my mane layout.

crewearpley40

Practice makes perfect. I'm on my umpteenth attempt and amazing the number of us working with space limitations. Sure kevin @Phoenix will appreciate me for the mention

crewearpley40

rob_au

Quote from: crewearpley40 on May 26, 2020, 10:53:36 PMCaersws good plan

Not the least of which it can be adjusted slightly to provide an Inglenook for shunting operations, providing it with some longevity as a layout.
Layouts under Construction

IkBrunel

Quote from: rob_au on May 27, 2020, 03:30:24 AM
Quote from: crewearpley40 on May 26, 2020, 10:53:36 PMCaersws good plan

Not the least of which it can be adjusted slightly to provide an Inglenook for shunting operations, providing it with some longevity as a layout.

I like the sound of this a lot. What would you add and where?

rob_au

Quote from: IkBrunel on May 27, 2020, 08:07:56 AM
I like the sound of this a lot. What would you add and where?

All that you need to do is to ensure the lengths of your track and sidings are appropriate to hold a given number of rolling stock (wagons).

For your three sidings (on the right of the layout diagram that you have provided), you want to ensure that you can hold 5 wagons on one of these sidings and 3 wagons on the other two. For the main-line (on the left of the diagram that you have provided), you want to be able to hold your locomotive and 3 wagons. This is representative of the "classic" Inglenook (5-3-3). If you are running short on space, you can change this to a 3-2-2 "minimal" arrangement, but with this change, there is a reduction in the number of shunting combinations that can be achieved.

See http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-inglenook.html for further details.
Layouts under Construction

crewearpley40

or go with mick ' s idea ..... be honest are you constrained by space limitations ?

IkBrunel

Quote from: crewearpley40 on May 27, 2020, 08:35:05 AM
or go with mick ' s idea ..... be honest are you constrained by space limitations ?
I am limbered with this particular layout as the baseboard is already made. It had a small loop on it with point and sidings. I was used it test locos and run trains/ shunting whilst I laid track on my main layout. Now that's down and it's a continues loop I'm fancying a little project that I can run trains On whilst testing out landscaping techniques. I would prefer to make mistakes and have to redo them on this before I do it on my main layout.

There is a plan called north east coast branch in the plan book but there's no way I could shoehorn it on to that board. It's a shame beaceuse I've visited this place many times.
https://www.osbornsmodels.com/peco-new-plan-007-n-scale-north-east-coast-branch-7687-p.asp

What would your idea be for a small board of this size?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations