Hornby's 2020 OO Gauge Announcement

Started by njee20, January 06, 2020, 09:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

It surprises me that Dapol aren't leveraging their tooling more on the HST generally. They've done two batches of booksets which appear to have sold well judging by high residual prices. Surely they could now do powercar twin packs (although the trailers also seem to sell out, so maybe re-issue the whole lot!), for buffer fitted Swallow, new NMT livery, Harry Patch/OOC legends, Sir Kenneth Grange/IC Swallow pair etc etc.

ntpntpntp

Looking through the RMWeb page, the wiring on that 4-pin decoder looks dreadful and pretty much a short circuit waiting to happen!   I wouldn't want to put that out as a public advert of what you'll get.

I like the idea of the re-tooled rocket.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Roy L S

Looking at the schedule of releases, there is some pretty cool stuff there. I'm not sure about the Steam Punk personally, but there may be a niche and reuse of existing chassis appear to de-risk it somewhat. The A2/2 is interesting but one that will never get shot down to N I suspect.

However, what about the LMS Princess?? it has never been available RTR in N, there is/was just a very ancient kit that fitted a Farish chassis if I recall correctly.  Hornby have had one in their range pretty much continuously since the year dot and the latest tool model really looks the business. It is such an elegant looking loco, only a small class it is true, but carried a number of liveries, two preserved (one I think on the main line?) isn't it just crying out to be produced in N by someone???

Roy

zwilnik

Quote from: Roy L S on January 06, 2020, 08:36:46 PM
Looking at the schedule of releases, there is some pretty cool stuff there. I'm not sure about the Steam Punk personally, but there may be a niche and reuse of existing chassis appear to de-risk it somewhat. The A2/2 is interesting but one that will never get shot down to N I suspect.

However, what about the LMS Princess?? it has never been available RTR in N, there is/was just a very ancient kit that fitted a Farish chassis if I recall correctly.  Hornby have had one in their range pretty much continuously since the year dot and the latest tool model really looks the business. It is such an elegant looking loco, only a small class it is true, but carried a number of liveries, two preserved (one I think on the main line?) isn't it just crying out to be produced in N by someone???

Roy

With the Coronation livery (which Hornby also do the coaches for) it's one of the iconic British trains, so it's the sort of one that would be an ideal train pack. I suspect the only complication compared to Pendolinos, Belles and Pullmans is that the loco is a more complicated steam one.

Roy L S

Quote from: zwilnik on January 06, 2020, 08:42:54 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on January 06, 2020, 08:36:46 PM

Roy

With the Coronation livery (which Hornby also do the coaches for) it's one of the iconic British trains, so it's the sort of one that would be an ideal train pack. I suspect the only complication compared to Pendolinos, Belles and Pullmans is that the loco is a more complicated steam one.

I was thinking of the Princess rather that the Streamlined Coronation(Duchess). I have always thought it is an altogether more elegant loco than the Duchess.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/Slide69.JPG.7543f84fce1b99e9b6928d13d1144419.JPG

Then there is the 78xxx which would seem to require only loco and tender body tooling to fit Bachmann's existing and virtually identical Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 chassis.

Roy

zwilnik

Quote from: Roy L S on January 06, 2020, 08:52:18 PM

I was thinking of the Princess rather that the Streamlined Coronation(Duchess). I have always thought it is an altogether more elegant loco than the Duchess.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/Slide69.JPG.7543f84fce1b99e9b6928d13d1144419.JPG

Then there is the 78xxx which would seem to require only loco and tender body tooling to fit Bachmann's existing and virtually identical Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 chassis.

Roy

Ah yes, my bad. I always get confused with the LMS Pacific naming, mainly because the Coronation Class had Duchess, City and even King naming (while everyone refers to them as Duchesses) and the Princess class had a Lady, a Queen and a Duchess :)
Great locos though, all of them.

Buffin

I was ready to yearn as I started through the list, but - nothing for me. Phew.

Despite a long list of releases, they haven't hedged by saying 'late 2020' or 'autumn 2020', they quote specific months. It'll be interesting to see if that confidence is justified. Let's hope so - that might encourage others to up their game  ;)

ntpntpntp

With the Coronation livery (which Hornby also do the coaches for) it's one of the iconic British trains..... I suspect the only complication compared to Pendolinos, Belles and Pullmans is that the loco is a more complicated steam one.

I don't see why that should be a problem at all, after all Arnold have been a premier brand making high quality reliable steam locos in N since the 60s.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

zwilnik

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 07, 2020, 08:42:33 AM
With the Coronation livery (which Hornby also do the coaches for) it's one of the iconic British trains..... I suspect the only complication compared to Pendolinos, Belles and Pullmans is that the loco is a more complicated steam one.

I don't see why that should be a problem at all, after all Arnold have been a premier brand making high quality reliable steam locos in N since the 60s.

Very true. I was just hoping for a Revolution pack ;) Arnold would be the obvious one as a UK Hornby/Arnold release a-la Brighton Belle. One can only hope :)

GrahamB

I want a Rocket Train Pack, even if it is just for the tri-ang box!

Childhood memories.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Buffin

Hornby's site is featuring "break vans". For your holiday luggage, perhaps?

Anyway, braking news.

gavin_t

Certainly some good stuff there.

Wouldn't mind a copy of the book of trains  :D

Adam1701D

There are some very nice items in their line up, particularly the comprehensive range of APT vehicles, including the development test car. I also rather like the retooled Rocket and Smokey Joe, the fastest rail vehicle on the planet!
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations