Bendy boat ?

Started by Oldun, November 18, 2014, 08:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldun

Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

steve836

all large structures flex I believe the Eifel tower sways about 2ft either side on a windy day!
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

bridgiesimon

It would be more serious to go to sea in a ship that size that did not flex cos it would be much more likely to break up!!! this sort of flex is an intentional and vital part of the design to ensure these ships are safe in such storms.

Best wishes
Simon

Malc

Like a ladder. If it doesn't flex when you climb it, it will break. TV transmitter masts move about a lot at the top. Emley Moor sways a bit and we had an OB reception room on the top.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

Some bloke I saw swaying down the club the other night ended up falling over  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 08:51:18 PM
all large structures flex I believe the Eifel tower sways about 2ft either side on a windy day!
After the 2011 earthquake in Tokyo, a nearby skyskraper under construction was visibly swaying back and forth for quite a while. Glad I wasn't in one at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisWbAXfyWI

Bealman

railsquid

I was living on the 7th floor of an apartment building at the time, and after getting home (just a 3 hour walk, trains weren't running) it felt like being on a ship due to a constant stream of aftershocks.

Bealman

railsquid

Is there a mouse in here?

Anyway on the plus side I have developed a very good sense for telling whereabouts the epicentre of an earthquake is and its approximate magnitude (provided I'm inside a building; if you're outside you tend not to notice them, unless they're big).

steve836

I'm glad England keeps still.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Sprintex

Quote from: railsquid on November 19, 2014, 01:08:28 AM
Is there a mouse in here?

I think so, set a trap with a Blue Pullman on it, that should lure it out ;)

Paul

Oldun

Quote from: steve836 on November 19, 2014, 08:39:56 AM

:no: :no: :no:

Sorry to report that we do shake & wobble a bit from time to time :)

It's just that the shakes & wobbles are not that noticeable :unimpressed:

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

MikeDunn

Quote from: steve836 on November 19, 2014, 08:39:56 AM
Ya reckon ??? !!!  Ours are just normally under mag 3, so no-one notices ...

Some years back, was at the top floor of the office tower block in Washington (opposite the main shopping centre there); whenever the wind blew, it rocked ...  and a snowstorm just put you in a total white world - nothing could be seen at all !

edwin_m

Quote from: railsquid on November 18, 2014, 11:15:55 PM

After the 2011 earthquake in Tokyo, a nearby skyskraper under construction was visibly swaying back and forth for quite a while. Glad I wasn't in one at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisWbAXfyWI

Intentional.  The whole structure sits on giant shock absorbers which allow it to sway but absorb the energy after a few cycles.  Otherwise there would easily be enough energy to destroy parts of the structure. 

If you go high enough in somewhere like Canary Wharf on a windy day you can feel it swaying. 

We had an earthquake once when I was in a 60s BR building in Derby.  Those on the top floor were quite shaken but those on the ground floor didn't notice anything.  Basically the steel frame distorted like one of those trellis wine racks. 

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations