peco 2nd radius recommended locos which can go round 1st radius?

Started by cragster101, October 07, 2014, 05:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cragster101

so after the problems i caused had with my first ever n gauge loco:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23724.0

I decided that if i have any problems with my next purchase, it would go straight back instead of me trying to fix it and voiding the warranty. the problem with that is my layout currently consists of peco 1st radius (9in) curves and standard points, also 1st radius. so the steam loco's  i had my eye on were dapols 14xx, 57xx and 45xx, all of which (relatively) appear have quality issues. i went with 2S-006-003 14xx, and after following the oiling instructions and running in for an hour it appears to have a knocking/rubbing sound half of the time and slows and has movement at a certain point in wheel rotation. it also has difficulty with the points.  the track was brushed with a clean never used make up brush and cleaned with IPA barely a few hours before running so i doubt its a track related problem.

so this left me thinking, if the locos i had wanted that can be used with 1st radius have problems, can i cheat and use one that is recommended for 2nd radius? I have read a few posts on this site saying that loco X can negotiate 1st radius fine, and even watched a starter set review on youtube where they gave you something recommended for 12in radius curves but it came with 1st radius. is it a case of if it works it works if it doesn't it doesn't, or am i going to cause myself problems further down the line?

oreamnos

Hi Cragster101-

I do a lot of "testing" for fun to see what will go around what radius and I post my findings now and then.  I'd say you can definitely "cheat."

I can tell you that every diesel I have (Farish, Dapol, and Hornby/Arnold) will handle first radius.  In fact they'll handle Unitrack 8.5" fine and most will even handle 7.5" Unitrack, too (even long wheelbase locos like Peaks and Class 40s).

Steam engines are a bit more fussy, particularly their front bogies, but I cannot recall any steam engine not being able to handle R1 - and I have quite a few.  If you post what you are considering running, I can probably tell you if I've ever had problems with it running on R1.

The Dapol 14xx seems to be a mixed bag - and from reading the posts about it, it seems to have been from its first release 10 (?) years ago or so.   I got one second hand a few years back and it runs with a little wobble but other than that it runs pretty well so I feel lucky.  It definitely runs on R1 without issue.  I agree your track is probably not the problem.

Matt

cragster101

hi Matt,

the ones I would consider are all graham farish:

Standard Class 5MT 4-6-0
Class J39 0-6-0
Class 4MT Fairburn 2-6-4
Class B1 61251 4-6-0

oreamnos

Hi Cragster-

The 5MT, J39, and B1 are all fine on R1 in my experience.  I don't have a Fairburn so can't comment.

Hope this helps!

Matt

ChrisWV10

No problem with Farish Jubilee on R1 curves.

Diesels I've run include Farish 24, 37 & 42, Also Farish Voyager, tho' it looks absurd with the coach overhang across the curve of the track.

C. :)

cragster101

thanks for the help :thankyousign: ,  now on to the difficult task of choosing between them...

oreamnos

Oh - a note on the Farish 5MT - test before you buy since they have pretty well documented wobble issues.  Not all are affected but apparently there was a problem getting the axles perfectly centered in some of the drivers.

Matt

Roy L S

Quote from: oreamnos on October 07, 2014, 08:02:28 PM
Hi Cragster-

The 5MT, J39, and B1 are all fine on R1 in my experience.  I don't have a Fairburn so can't comment.

Hope this helps!

Matt

The A1 is absolutely fine on R1 too.

Regards

Roy

cragster101

just done some reading and I think its going to be the j39, as you say Matt the 5mt does have some issues in that area, I just want something ready to run, not ready to return :no:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations