Early 80's Generator Set

Started by 47033, April 28, 2014, 03:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Guys,

I have a question about the generator van set that used to run on the Western Region in the early 80's. For a while it was booked out of Paddington on the 16.22 to Cheltenham. It used to be a rake of HST mk3's but I'm not 100% sure if they were HST Mk3's or loco hauled mk3's iee buffers or no buffers.  I do believe they had no buffers but a BG at the London end and a converted BG (generator van) at the country end. The BG's obviously having buffers to couple the loco's too.  Can anyone confirm this to be the case ?

I would like to replicate this set for my layout

Jamie

EtchedPixels

6310-6313

6310 for HST stock, 6311-3 for loco hauled

All I believe still in service. Etched conversion sides for the old style Farish BG available for 6311-3, for the newer one it's easier to use some suitably patterned plastic sheet and a saw.

6310 (now with Riviera) has fairly complicated grilles on it so is a bit trickier.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

dodger

The generator van was specifically made to enable a HST trailer set to be loco hauled in the event of a shortage of power cars. Another BG was used at the other end to ensure that a screw coupling and buffers were at the outer end to enable the loco to couple to it.

In the early days of HST's, probably the prototype set the only depot that could reprofile HST trailer car wheelset as Laira. As the HST sets were based at Old Oak Common the trailer car was worked to/from Laira on a passenger working with an air braked ETH fitted coach as a runner at the outer end.

Dodger

Thank you for the replies.  I have had a chance to investigate further and given this information have determined that I am looking for the 6310 van in it's previous guise ADB975325.   It has grilles on one side only and needs the roof modified above the generator unit. Shouldn't be too bad hopefully. Thanks for your help.

Jamie

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations