NGS's Era 1 & 2 SIG

Started by JimF, April 22, 2014, 10:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimF

Just curious if anyone is in the above Special Interest Group. I just rejoined the NGS, and signed up for it. I want to gauge whether there is enough out there to work in the pre-grouping era in N.

I filled out and returned the info sheet, and asked if there were back issues of the Group's newsletters (emails?) but haven't heard back in over a week, so thought I would ask here.

Thanks.

Jim F

EtchedPixels

Quote from: JimF on April 22, 2014, 10:45:52 AM
Just curious if anyone is in the above Special Interest Group. I just rejoined the NGS, and signed up for it. I want to gauge whether there is enough out there to work in the pre-grouping era in N.

If you want to go to the model shop and buy a pre-grouping railway then no. If you are willing to build things then yes it's possible if not particularly easy. It's getting easier bit by bit. There are now a small number of RTR locos in pre-group liveries. Rolling stock is quite variable - depends a lot on the company you pick. Some of the big companies (eg the L&Y) are really badly represented in the kit world, otherwise like the L&BSCR are much better covered.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

thebrighton

Greetings,
I'm in the said group but your message has reminded me that I've not seen any newsletters from Jeremy for quite a while now. Probably a result of the membership not providing anything for him to put in it!
As EP says there isn't a lot of RTR but the constituents of the Southern are probably best served. If you're happy to kit/scratch build or repaint then the LBSCR or LSWR are a possibility.
Jeremy has compiled a list of all pre grouping kits available but this along with all my back issues of the newsletter are on a knackered tablet :o(
Gareth

JimF

Thanks EP and Gareth.

I'm sure the group is like any other, with much initial enthusiasm, which tapers off, fast or more slowly, depending on the topic, so input for the newsletter may well be slack. I had hoped, though, that Jeremy would send me what he does have, from the past. I'll wait till after the coming weekend, then perhaps send a nudge, in case he has been busy and forgot to reply.

Yes, I'm aware RTR is about non existent, the idea of kit building wouldn't put me off much. My primary interest is the SECR, and constituent SER and LCDR, but not being a purist, mixing and matching other SE area line's rolling stock would suit me, to get a overall look.

What scale I work in still is some way off, still negotiating my 'real estate'.

Jim F

thebrighton

Quote from: JimF on April 22, 2014, 04:48:46 PM

Yes, I'm aware RTR is about non existent, the idea of kit building wouldn't put me off much. My primary interest is the SECR, and constituent SER and LCDR, but not being a purist, mixing and matching other SE area line's rolling stock would suit me, to get a overall look.

I've built a fair bit of SECR, link below:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=688

Gareth

EtchedPixels

I've done some SECR stock. I have drawings for some SER six wheelers but still chasing info on SER four wheelers.

Locos are probably the trickiest SECR bit.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

thebrighton

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 22, 2014, 08:14:04 PM
I've done some SECR stock. I have drawings for some SER six wheelers but still chasing info on SER four wheelers.

Hi Alan,
SER 6 wheelers would be nice but GER 6 wheelers even nicer. Something for my F5 to pull.
Gareth

Tank

I'm interested in SECR and SER stock for my Kenley layout.   :thumbsup:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: thebrighton on April 22, 2014, 08:26:24 PM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 22, 2014, 08:14:04 PM

Hi Alan,
SER 6 wheelers would be nice but GER 6 wheelers even nicer. Something for my F5 to pull.
Gareth

I have drawings for GER bogie stock but not the GER six wheelers. I've got a few references for one or two of them but nothing at all comprehensive.

JimF

Gareth, excellent stuff!!  I seriously doubt I would have the time, and more importantly, the skill, to ever achieve those results. Especially as painting is my least favorite thing to do :)

From reading here, and other locations, I'm more and more concerned that if I do work in 2mm, I would be spending most of my time building small kits, and building track. Also, that there isn't really a lot of items out there to for the late 1800's - early 1900's period. Figures, road vehicles (I do know horse power would be prevalent), street details, etc..

Even a lot of the inexpensive card structures are too modern, as printed out, meaning even they would have to have time spent on them, backdating.

Still no reply from Jeremy, I'll drop him a email after this, at least asking if he did get my group application.

Jim F

EtchedPixels

Quote from: JimF on April 24, 2014, 11:34:59 AM
I do work in 2mm, I would be spending most of my time building small kits, and building track. Also, that there isn't really a lot of items out there to for

the late 1800's - early 1900's period. Figures, road vehicles (I do know horse power would be prevalent), street details, etc..

Even a lot of the inexpensive card structures are too modern, as printed out, meaning even they would have to have time spent on them, backdating.

Still no reply from Jeremy, I'll drop him a email after this, at least asking if he did get my group application.

Jim F

Figures and vehicles are surprisingly well represented. There are a lot of suitable figures hiding in strange places. There are several US sets of period figures that translate fairly well, a lot of quite usable continental worker type figures (which being 1:160 are also conveniently shorter than modern people) and a range of white metal ones. I used several sets of the Langley funeral, wedding and hunt sets which are ideal.

Likewise there is a large supply of horses and carts and the like. Some have visibly tyred wheels so date slightly later end but even then its hardly noticable in N.

You also don't need many buildings and not much clutter. Outside of perhaps central London and a few other areas the big thing you notice is how empty it is. There is no clutter because people had relatively few posessions, little got left around because it all had value, and most of the landscape was green.

Witney Euston is one of the 2fs pre group layouts I really think captures this. Link to the video below - lots of space, not a lot of buildings or anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyVJ5PapPng

JimF

Thanks for the Link, EP, and the info. More food for thought. I do think I am getting boggled, with trying to decide, what with N, 2mm, OO, P4, or O. Each has many compromises, I really need to sit back and try and decide which ones I can live with.

Jim F 

JimF

Posting to this thread just to update, it's been almost a year now, and have never heard back from the Era 1 & 2 SIG, so I'm guessing it is defunct.

Jim F

MikeDunn

Worth a letter / email to "Mailtrain" (or whatever the letters page is called) ???  Might spark some movement ...

CarriageShed

Quote from: JimF on January 31, 2015, 03:06:00 PM
Posting to this thread just to update, it's been almost a year now, and have never heard back from the Era 1 & 2 SIG, so I'm guessing it is defunct.

Jim F

I'd agree. It's been months since I tried to contact the chap in charge. Never had a word in reply.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations