NGS Snowplough

Started by Bealman, December 30, 2013, 02:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_death

Hmmm, in the sales data I have 429 is definitely Snow Queen so it sounds as though some labelling has gone wrong.

I would go back to Ray and ask for the correct one!

Cheers, Mike

AndyGif

Mike,
not going to swap them as it was my mistake ordering the wrong one in the first place, the description sounded right, but alas it didn't prove to be what I expected it to be, besides it wouldn't seem right spending all that postage cost for both men and the shop over something that was not their fault.

All I want is a picture of the 42-2 so I know what I'm going to get (hopefully) this time :hmmm:

Mike W

Hi all,

I received a couple of ploughs yesterday and have the same issue with 42-9, after ordering 42-5 (which I assume has sold out). Andy mentions above 42-9 being a replacement for 42-5, but I am assuming it can't be:

This is an image of 42-5 (70s/80s BR Black) taken from an eBay auction, it is numbered ADB965196:

And the one I've been sent (numbered DB965205) is in the same colour scheme as the one on the far left of this picture:

I'm not too bothered (edit: will try to exchange for another BR Blue one) but just wanted to point it out as happening again to help anyone who might be ordering a plough, be it 60s or 70s/80s.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is not a criticism of the NGS shop or the society at all, they offer a fantastic service and I've bought a good few kits etc from them.

MinZaPint

Quote from: ParkeNd on December 30, 2013, 10:20:42 AM
The snow ploughs should also be quite a novelty in Oz. As the Dunny Man would be here in the UK.

Just caught up with this and realise I'm getting old! My Great Aunt lived in a terrace in a Wiltshire village, when she was 65 (1956) they installed mains drainage at a cost of £30, she decided she wasn't going to last long and it wasn't worth it, she died aged 84 and we had to hold our noses as the bucket had to be brought through the house for all those years! :poop: happens, it sure did!
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

martyn

Stove R usage.
In Larkin's 'BR general parcels rolling stock', he says that they were used in passenger trains, as one would expect from the fact they had end gangways. They could also be used in parcels trains. Photos in use seem rare, though I haven't looked on Paul Bartlett's site before writing this reply. Tatlow's  'Historic carriage drawings Vol 3' states that the actual stoves were not fitted until wartime usage mean that these vans could be found marshalled in non-steam heated trains. It was only then they became known as 'Stove R'. I'm not sure, but I think they could have been used as the guard's accommodation in trains such as one consisting of milk tanks, where, if they were used, presumably they gave a better ride at high speed, as opposed to that of a 4-wheel Guard's van.
Martyn

ScottyStitch

Quote from: martyn on June 13, 2014, 08:52:27 PM
Stove R usage.
In Larkin's 'BR general parcels rolling stock', he says that they were used in passenger trains, as one would expect from the fact they had end gangways. They could also be used in parcels trains. Photos in use seem rare, though I haven't looked on Paul Bartlett's site before writing this reply. Tatlow's  'Historic carriage drawings Vol 3' states that the actual stoves were not fitted until wartime usage mean that these vans could be found marshalled in non-steam heated trains. It was only then they became known as 'Stove R'. I'm not sure, but I think they could have been used as the guard's accommodation in trains such as one consisting of milk tanks, where, if they were used, presumably they gave a better ride at high speed, as opposed to that of a 4-wheel Guard's van.
Martyn

Just seen this Martyn. I think that the freight trains that ran at express or passenger timings were actually required to have a passenger rated brake vehicle, rather than a goods brake van. I have more than a few photos of fish trains that included a BG or similar in the formation. More often than not it wasn't at the end of the train either, but about two thirds down from the head of the train.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Thebigshot on January 14, 2015, 07:52:46 PM
Hi Guys

Decided to order one from the store I hope it's as good as am expecting what do you guys think of yours.

Thanks

Hi

It's a very nice model and the only issue I have with it is the over scale lamp irons but I can understand why they are the way they are.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

ScottyStitch

Yes I have two, and very pleased with them. Yes the lamp irons are a bit over scale, but acceptable enough.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations