NGS Snowplough

Started by Bealman, December 30, 2013, 02:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Having recently received my two first NGS RTR models, the Inspection saloon (maroon) and Stove R (maroon) - see my post in 'Show your latest purchase' - I must say I am extremely impressed with the quality.

I will definitely be ordering a Queen Mary, and like the look of the snowploughs as well, but I fear they may be after my modelled era. I am modelling BR 1950's up to the blue period, 1966. Could I get away with one just sneaking in during the early 60s? Or did they not start appearing until after 1966?

I am totally in the dark about this and help will be most appreciated.

My thanks go to those folk who responded to my query as to motive power for my inspection saloon! However, to date, I haven't heard anything about the sort of train I should be assigning my BR maroon Stove R to. Once again,  :help:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

talisman56

I have the plain black NGS Independent Snowplough, to represent one of the 8 snowploughs Eastleigh converted from Schools tenders in 1964/65, one of which could be seen, if one was lucky as the moved it about a bit, in Brighton yard. Paul Bartlett has a picture of one (possibly incomplete as it is in withdrawn condition and on a low transport wagon) on his wagon site at http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/snowplough/hae0143a#hae0143a.

The independent snowplough modelled by the NGS I believe is one of the ones built from LNER V2 tenders for the ER, LMR and WR in 1964/65, so yes, one can get away with having one of these snowploughs in your timeframe...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bealman

Cool! Thanks for that! I kinda like the ones with the hazard stripes, but I guess it'll have to be the plain black one. No matter, that's still OK!

Cheers!  :beers:

George

Tank

Regarding the QM's, they're wonderful models as well.  Highly recommended. :)

ParkeNd

The snow ploughs should also be quite a novelty in Oz. As the Dunny Man would be here in the UK.

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:
Thanks! NGS hasn't got the full online pay system operating yet, but I know the people involved there are working on it. The 'half system' they have operating at the moment is working fine - as you know, my purchases arrived here in Aus safe and sound.

I have enough experience in business and life to realise that operating the NGS shop is a major operation, and to all involved, I offer a warm thank you! I can now order the excellent RTR products.

OK.... New Year..... bring on the QM's and snowploughs!

To anyone reading this, all the very best for 2014!

George

Newportnobby

Hi George,

I bought mine at the Stockport Show and was told that for my era (late steam/early diesel) the correct one was black with hazard stripes - reference NGK42-10.
Hope this helps

AndyGif

I bought the wrong black snowplough, I wanted the black one with wasp stripes to suit the 70's & 80's, but ened up with solid black one.
The descriptions dont quite match up with the line up pictures, so can prove difficult to order the correct one.

Bealman

Ben A

Hello George,

The NGS represents the 50-odd snowploughs built to a new standard BR design from, I think, around 1962. The first were delivered in plain black with diesel loco style lettering in yellow.  During the mid 1960s the ploughs received hazard striping.

Andy,

No one wants you to have the wrong model, so please contact the shop and arrange to swap your model for the one you want. You could probably arrange to do this at a show the NGS display stand is attending to save on postage.

Having said at, the plain black has been a very good seller and I think has long since sold out in its original version (though another run has since been done.)

You could eBay the one you have, then order the correct one and possibly make a profit.  I have seen snowploughs go for more than the combined cost of the model and NGS membership - crazy!!

Cheers

Ben A.
(NGS VP)

AndyGif

No not swapped it. It's from the 2nd batch of black ones -9. The -9 threw me at first as I knew I definitely didnt order that mark.
Ben,  I did get in contact with Ray about doing a swap but that was before Carol's illness and the xmas shutdown, but haven't got back in touch again about what I was going to do as I did order the wrong item -5, -2 Ray told me was probably the one I really wanted. (Great service to a dim customer, the shop staff always seem to go that extra mile!)
Guess I could ebay it and be mercenary about hopefully making a bob or two.

Tank

Quote from: Ben A on December 30, 2013, 01:23:20 PM
No one wants you to have the wrong model, so please contact the shop and arrange to swap your model for the one you want.

Very good of you Ben A. :thumbsup:

AndyGif

Could someone post me a picture of  the NGS Snowplough NGK42-2 please, to check its the right livery before I re-order another one.
I've stuck the wrongly ordered ones up on ebay last night.

And the product listings for the snowploughs is still wrong, ngk42-9 is plain black, replacement for NGK42-5 apparently, rather than RFD Snow Queen as listed.

BenA(on any other NGS officer), if your reading this can the the artwork for the snowploughs be put back up again, as the group photo is not in the same order as the list below it.
The product descriptions in the shop listing are a bit vague too.

red_death

Hi Andy

Which product listing are you looking at?

The shop listing on the website at: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=ngs-shop-ngs-6-13 has the following:

NGK422    SNOWPLOUGH  BR BACK +  HAZARD STRIP    £15.90
NGK423    SNOWPLOUGH - BR BLUE    £15.90
NGK424    SNOWPLOUGH - BR BLACK WITH STAG    £15.90
NGK425    SNOWPLOUGH - BR BLACK - 1970/80'S    £15.90
NGK426    SNOWPLOUGH - RFD "SNOW KING" - TINS    £15.90
NGK427    SNOWPLOUGH - RAILTRACK BLACK    £15.90
NGK428    SNOWPLOUGH - NETWORK RAIL - BLACK    £15.90
NGK429    SNOWPLOUGH-RFD "SNOW QUEEN" - TINS (NGK965309)    £15.90
NGK430    SNOWPLOUGH - EASTFIELD "SCOTTY DOG" (NGK965217)    £15.90

Which is the same as the details on this page: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=recent-products (Scroll down for the snowplough - it also contains some pics and more details).

All the information I have from the Shop still says 429 is Snow Queen.

I assume you want either 422 or 425, both should be correct for the 70s.  The best thing to do is check directly with the shop.

Cheers, Mike

(NGS Product Development Officer)

AndyGif

Quote from: red_death on January 31, 2014, 12:32:11 PM
Hi Andy

Which product listing are you looking at?

The shop listing on the website at: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=ngs-shop-ngs-6-13 has the following:

NGK422    SNOWPLOUGH  BR BACK +  HAZARD STRIP    £15.90
NGK423    SNOWPLOUGH - BR BLUE    £15.90
NGK424    SNOWPLOUGH - BR BLACK WITH STAG    £15.90
NGK425    SNOWPLOUGH - BR BLACK - 1970/80'S    £15.90
NGK426    SNOWPLOUGH - RFD "SNOW KING" - TINS    £15.90
NGK427    SNOWPLOUGH - RAILTRACK BLACK    £15.90
NGK428    SNOWPLOUGH - NETWORK RAIL - BLACK    £15.90
NGK429    SNOWPLOUGH-RFD "SNOW QUEEN" - TINS (NGK965309)    £15.90
NGK430    SNOWPLOUGH - EASTFIELD "SCOTTY DOG" (NGK965217)    £15.90

Which is the same as the details on this page: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=recent-products (Scroll down for the snowplough - it also contains some pics and more details).

All the information I have from the Shop still says 429 is Snow Queen.

I assume you want either 422 or 425, both should be correct for the 70s.  The best thing to do is check directly with the shop.

Cheers, Mike

(NGS Product Development Officer)
ok Mike, I talked with Ray in the shop around xmas time about this already, because I ordered a 42-5 which Ray told me was OOS and replaced by this one 42-9 [smg id=9958] [smg id=9957].
which turns out is not like the one I wanted at all,  42-2 it seems is the one I want.

The recent products page you linked to is the one I was on about, ie the picture order does not seem to match the list order below it. and there are no side shots either. hence the request for the artwork to be put up instead.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations