Can anyone help me get hold of a layout board 4ft x 3ft please?

Started by Bristolmar, December 29, 2013, 04:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristolmar

Location: SouthWestTrainsland......................................anywhere near Brizzle?

:D
Beer calls...........................must run

Pengi

SouthWestTrainsland are stations 'owned' by SWT - Brizzle is FGW land  :laugh:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Bristolmar

Quote from: Pengi on December 30, 2013, 04:43:31 PM
SouthWestTrainsland are stations 'owned' by SWT - Brizzle is FGW land  :laugh:

I know I shouldnt rise but............................FGW?

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Bristolmar on December 30, 2013, 04:51:00 PM
I know I shouldnt rise but............................FGW?

Farce Great Western, as opposed to Stand While Travelling 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Pengi

. . . right at this moment, SWT = Soggy Waterlogged Trackbed as i can't travel north without using bus (or driving) 

. . . although, strictly speaking, SWT doesn't own the track
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Bristolmar

Well looks like back to Plan A but thanks to all for input.

The veneer door from B&Q delivered at toltal #28 looked the solution. But add 2 Sundeala boards delivered at #29..........

So Ill have to wait til I can afford the DJMS option (which tbh is good value just I am strapped for cash).

Now if some nice person were to buy one of the items I have on here for sale I could....sob, sob...........................finally................sob..................satrt to recreate a childhood dream....................sniff

:'(

;)

PostModN66

Hi Martin,

Just bear in mind that if you go for a custom baseboard it is likely that it will have a plywood top, so the same extra expense is likely to be incurred if you want to use Sundeala to make it feasible to pin your track down.   :(

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

EtchedPixels

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 02, 2014, 09:29:53 AM
Hi Martin,

Just bear in mind that if you go for a custom baseboard it is likely that it will have a plywood top, so the same extra expense is likely to be incurred if you want to use Sundeala to make it feasible to pin your track down.   :(

Pin push or small drill or double sided tape or a few other things. Last small layout I've been building I'm using double sided car trim foam and becoming a fan of it very fast.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bristolmar

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 02, 2014, 09:29:53 AM
Hi Martin,

Cheers  Jon  :)

Oh

Bu**er     :(

Bristolmar

Quote from: Only Me on January 02, 2014, 09:56:40 AM
I pinned down my track easily using 6mm ply and a pin push :)

Errrrrrrrrrrr...............what's a pin push? I am pretty sure I have a box of the fleischmann track pinning screws in the garage was planning on using those.

PostModN66

I'm not sure either - had a look on e-bay but all I came up with was "push pins"!

But if you have screws made for the job, then they would probably be better onto ply (either a door or your custom made board) than onto Sundeala, so either way problem solved!

Cheers  Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Bristolmar

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 02, 2014, 04:56:05 PM
I'm not sure either - had a look on e-bay but all I came up with was "push pins"!

But if you have screws made for the job, then they would probably be better onto ply (either a door or your custom made board) than onto Sundeala, so either way problem solved!

Cheers  Jon   :)

Now THAT is good news.

Thanks Jon thats made my day!

Bristolmar

Bristolmar

Right

About to go the ply flush door route. Found one on ebay 2000 x 827 £20 plus delivery £8.

AND they are happy to cut it down to 5ft for me before shipping.

This...................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271348993859

:thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:

Bristolmar

OK

FINALLY sorted myself a baseboard      :claphappy:

By sheer chance bumped into local builder contact and we got talking about BoysToys which led to model railways and my need for a cheap board.

He is building me a 5ft by 3ft board, braced, mdf top for £40. Should be with me in a week. Cant wait!!!

Many thanks to all for help and advice so far. Can I ask tho, what should be my first step before any landscaping ? I read somehwere paint the top grey as thats the best base color?

Martin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations