Your worst injury...

Started by lionwing, May 28, 2013, 09:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonclox

R/C model tank building saw me break a 3mm drill as it went through a casting and the remaining stub go right through the fleshy part of my right index finger close to where it becomes the hand.
SWOMBO insisted that as it was pouring blood I had to go to A&E. They pumped saline liquid in at one end of the hole and chuckled as it spurted out the other end (about 12 mm away) then insister in giving me a tetanus jab :veryangry:
All was/is well now though
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Kipper

Forgot my best one - despite a scar to remind me, but on the back of my leg. When I was 5, my Granny bought me a pony, but first, the paddock had to be fenced off. In 1955, it seems that old fashioned barbed wire was the way to go, so barbed wire was purchased. On the day, the new wire was laid out around the field, and the posts were being hammered in. Me, being nosy, had to go over and see what was going on. Reaching the wire, I carefully stepped over it, but caught my trailing welly boot toe on a barb, and fell over. On trying to get up, I dragged the wire forward, and cut through my right welly and my right calf. Rushed to village doctor, who opened up surgery (those were the days), and stitched up the cut. I now have a six inch long and half inch wide scar - it has grown with me! Unfortunately, I developed Ostiomylitis a few years later, probably from something picked up from the wire.

EssexN

SWMBO was applying Deep Heat on my back after a Judo injury and wiped the excess on the dangly bits

You could the screams on Jupitor. An hour in the bath brought me back to earth.

scotsoft

Quote from: EssexN on January 06, 2015, 11:34:32 PM
SWMBO was applying Deep Heat on my back after a Judo injury and wiped the excess on the dangly bits

You could the screams on Jupiter. An hour in the bath brought me back to earth.

At least your screams were not heard on Uranus  :D

UPINSMOKE

Quote from: Phil Hendry on May 28, 2013, 07:04:05 PM
Quote from: cycletrak9 on May 28, 2013, 05:45:33 PM
Peter, your story reminds me of the old Hoffnung recording of the letter to an employer fron an employee explaining why he is not at work. It involves a building site, barrels and bricks and used to be regularly played on the radio years ago. I've not looked but I'm sure it will be on Youtube somewhere - it's well worth searching out.i
'The Bricklayer'.  I've got it on a BBC CD - my father had it on vinyl.  I don't listen to it very often, but I always end up with tears rolling down my cheeks and aching sides.  Peter's story is almost in the same league.

Did you mean this  :D :smiley-laughing:
http://youtu.be/38v0Kj86MhA
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

MalcolmInN

Quote from: UPINSMOKE on January 07, 2015, 12:01:30 AM
Did you mean this
Both are priceless !

{name dropping)
The good thing about the Corries one is that I was there in Glasgow at the BBC and at the Lyceum Edinburgh when they were doing it !
and when they were writing and doing the "Flower of Scotland" which many these days think is a traditional golden oldie !!
(/name dropping)

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Agrippa on January 07, 2015, 12:32:09 AM
Wots this to do with trains
Good point !
but - bothered ?
do I look , ,

U suffering a humour injury ?

Komata

FWIW: The following may be of interest.

Many years ago, I needed to open a glass bottle containing light blue aircraft paint.  The lid had rusted shut.  Wishing to apply pressure on the screw-type lid, I duly entered my fathers workshop (a sacrosanct and forbidden area) and placed the bottle in a vice, with the lid facing to the right.

My parents were both away at the time, so I thought I would be able to get this evidently-'simple' job done quickly; and keep out of 'trouble' while doing-so.

Using a pair of vice grips I applied pressure to the metal lid, which resisted. I then tapped the lid with a hammer 'to loosen it', before reapplying the vice grips.

There was a 'bang', the glass at the 'lid' end of the bottle exploded, with glass and paint going  everywhere and, in my right thumb, a  1 inch-long and very deep gash suddenly appeared, just below the joint, the depth of the injury being indicated by the curious fact that the blood didn't gush, it merely 'bubbled' up out of the depths and very slowly at that.  I had never seen blood do that; it reminded me of an oil or volcanic mud 'seep', with the 'bubble' just 'popping' when it rose above the injury.  The 'cut' had light blue edges; the same colour as the paint in the bottle.

At that point my parents returned!!

A mad, frantic tidy-up, then out of the workshop quick-smart 'just in time'.  The remains of the bottle (sharp edges and all) was wrapped up in a handkerchief that was fortuitously in my pocket, and everything was (at least to outside appearances)  'normal'.

I later managed to use the paint, but on checking the bottle to make sure that I hadn't left any 'incriminating evidence' behind, I found one piece of glass to be missing, and a recheck of the workshop floor didn't locate it.  I had (and still have)  no idea where it had gone. Curiously, it was the piece in direct line with my thumb; and the injury...

After my parents' return, nothing was said, although my Father later asked why there was paint on the workshop floor.  My reply that I was 'flying' a glider and it went in by itself' (a not uncommon occurrence at the time) seemed to satisfy him.   

Since the 'adults' couldn't be told, nothing was done about the injury -  the blood just kept on 'bubbling' and eventually, after the application of several Band Aids and a few painful weeks, the body healed itself.  The adults never knew...

The scar (all white and obvious) is still there, and even now, over 50 years later, on very cold winter days, it can be quite painful.

A sliver of glass buried deep within the extremity?  I don't know, but it would seem to be a distinct possibility.   'The effects of actions past'...

As I said, FWIW.  It is not perhaps the usual way of inflicting injury on oneself.

Thanks.

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

4x2

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.... If i had a pound for every time I concealed an injury from the authorities I'd be well off !!! I got busted many times when my attempts to 'keep the wound clean and it'll heal' theory failed and a trip to the doc's followed.... At least now I'm quite good with a scalpel - after all, practice makes perfect !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Sprintex

Quote from: MalcolmAL on January 07, 2015, 12:37:39 AM
Quote from: Agrippa on January 07, 2015, 12:32:09 AM
Wots this to do with trains
Good point !
but - bothered ?
do I look , ,

U suffering a humour injury ?

Agrippa is right actually, this should have been moved to General Discussion long ago since it's not really N Gauge specific. However, a press on the 'report to Moderator' button with a note would have been preferable to just a blunt question.

Paul

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Sprintex on January 07, 2015, 04:59:41 AM
Agrippa is right actually,
And me actually ! Did I not already conceed that when I said "Good point" !!!!
preferable to just a blunt question.
Quite so. :claphappy:

acko22

OK  after reading all these accidents can anyone answer me this simple question?

Am I going to be safe modeling? having a go rebuilding a layout to be my first and some rolling stock too and by the sounds of it I will be safer at work and in my job that's something to be said!!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

longbridge

My worst injury was when I was 13 at school in Birmingham, I was the goal keeper in a soccer match and dived for the ball but head butted the goal post, I spent 12 days in hospital with a fractured skull and had 6 weeks off school, I very often wonder if it effected my brain because I haven't been the same since  :doh: it didn't help that I had a dopey carpenter drop a house brick on my head from 8ft above, more stitches  :doh: :D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Zunnan

I've inflicted a multitude of scalpel related injuries upon my person in my pursuit of modelling pleasure. My favourite was when I wisely decided to use my thigh as a resting block for a piece of styrene that I was cutting...plastic gave way and scalpel entered thigh vertically to the hilt. The funniest thing then happened when I pulled the blade out, it didn't bleed at all and I barely felt it, I must have sat there for half a minute just staring at the hole in my trousers...then I stood up. Took a while to stem the flow! Bournville has left its mark too, when I was trimming the cork underlay the scalpel blade snapped and the resulting shard sliced into my middle fingertip to the bone.

My worst injury of all though is a DAI, sustained 11 years ago when the car I was a passenger in decided to have an argument with a bridge parapet near head on at 'above motorway speeds'. I consider myself one of the lucky ones that didn't end up in a coma, but the damage incurred to my brain has left me with symptoms almost identical to Aspergers syndrome.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations