Your worst injury...

Started by lionwing, May 28, 2013, 09:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FeelixTC

Quote from: scotsoft on July 02, 2013, 01:08:03 PM
Quote from: FeelixTC on July 02, 2013, 12:49:59 PM
still couldn't play the geetar though!! :veryangry:

Patience and practice every day will get you there, I have been playing guitar for over 40 years and still learning  ;)

cheers John.

Too late John; got the modelling bug again!

................Anyone got some shunters to swap for a Fender Stratacoustic???

EtchedPixels

Quote from: FeelixTC on July 02, 2013, 01:25:15 PM
Too late John; got the modelling bug again!

................Anyone got some shunters to swap for a Fender Stratacoustic???

I find them complementary hobbies. Guitar practice makes it easier to handle hot metal while soldering, and guitar string is a brilliant modelling material.

Unfortunately I think the wife would notice if another guitar appeared as they are harder to hide than shunters, and I don't like the Fender necks.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

mereman

I have one or two (hundred). But one I still feel stupid about. I was when I first left school 45 years ago I worked as a motorcycle mechanic. I rolled one bike off its centre stand only then to remember I had taken the rear wheel out........ guess where my foot was..... right inline with then exhaust... I swore a bit...

One I witnessed was when I worked at a animal feed mill. The fitter was working on a conveyer and had to cut a link. He was using a chisel, first time he went to hit the end of chisel he missed, second time he hit it in the same place (he missed again). For the third attempt he had a thought and put his thumb over the end of the chisel...... this time he didn't miss......

Another of mine back at the motorcycle shop. We sold Calor gas for the camping trade. Well we had 28lb gas bottle two high (28lb was the weight of the gas bottle weighed a damn sight more). Well I went to put a bottle on top of another and missed again my foot was in the way.  That foot isn't keen on me  :laugh:
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Alex

Usual nicks and cuts during modelling. When I was about 11 my mum asked me to dig up some tatties for tea. Dug up a couple of shaws and started on a third. Dirt was covering up my right foot and I stuck the grape through it. It went in between my big toe and the one next to it and out underneath the little toe.

Imagine my mothers face when I walked in the back door with a bag of spuds in one hand and a grape, which was still in my foot, in the other.

Alex :wave:

4x2

The worst model injury I had was due to my first glow engined r/c aircraft. I had just finished running it in and it was still cooling down... Then I did something rather stupid - I noticed the propeller wasn't level, so I turned it with my finger... The bloody thing started !!!  :o

I broke one finger and has serious lacerations on two more, and left a trail of blood through the house as I ran to the sink !

I sold it a week later...
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

scotsoft

Quote from: 4x2 on July 02, 2013, 07:23:28 PM
The worst model injury I had was due to my first glow engined r/c aircraft. I had just finished running it in and it was still cooling down... Then I did something rather stupid - I noticed the propeller wasn't level, so I turned it with my finger... The bloody thing started !!!  :o

I broke one finger and has serious lacerations on two more, and left a trail of blood through the house as I ran to the sink !

So how much do you get for a finger these days  :hmmm:  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

longbridge

Ah model aircraft engines, those were the days and there was nothing like a flooded diesel motor to backfire and clobber your flicking finger, my first two fingers copped a right whacking from time to time.

Don't see the old control line planes these days which is sad.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Quote from: scotsoft on July 02, 2013, 07:46:23 PM
Quote from: 4x2 on July 02, 2013, 07:23:28 PM

So how much do you get for a finger these days  :hmmm:  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, John.
I thought the sink had been sold :D

sean Half-pint works

Quote from: Lawrence on June 01, 2013, 10:29:49 PM
There is not a part of my body that does not have a scar on it now (yes even there  :( )

Gland I am not the only one on both counts!

Lets see (Im a professional with injuries, so if your squeemish DO NOT READ)

Modeling wise, the usual finger tipping with a knife and hot end of soldering iron gave way to a fractured sternum moving a base board from one trolly to another... some time in Hospital and MANY hours of swearing later Im still hear...

Sports wise, dislocated my kneecap and testicals (yes you read it right) playing rugby... said "oh bother" and got subbed!

Work wise I was working a Pillar Drill through a 9MM steel plate, and the lad I was working with squirted the lubricant on my thumb, not the plate of steel, I lost my grip and it spun round and took an impressive slice out of the side of my thumb, through the blacksmithing gauntlets!

XD

Sorry for the long winded ones...

Sean

Newportnobby

I've just seen my dinner again, and  :no: I'm not saying which bit of the above caused it :worried:
Should have read and acted on your warning :doh:

sean Half-pint works

Sorry Newportnobby, that was about the least graphic way I could think of putting it, i shall spare you all the full list! Suffice to say, there have been moments even I wonder how in gods name I am still standing!

Lesson of the day, always read the warnings  :thumbsup:

Sean

P.S. I hope it wan't one of your favorite dinners you lost!  :foodanddrink:

James C

Other than having soldered my thumb, I find that the worse injury is the beating my wallet regularly takes :smiley-laughing:

FeelixTC

1981, I was 18. I had managed, (somehow, can't remember if it was puppies or sweeties), to get a girl into my bedroom and I was in the mood to show off.
"What's that?" she asked, pointing to a 3ft chrome spring with hand grips on each end.
The item in question was a 'poor man's bullworker' 

So, I picked it up and started to show off.
After a (very short!) time, I was tiring and sweating and my hands were getting slippery. Bending it with all my gusto, it finally slipped and the left hand end smacked me square under the chin.  :doh:

That hurt enough, but what made it worse was that I had been in full put-everything-into-it-tongue-out-mode and I had bitten my tongue badly.

I could feel and taste the blood in my mouth, but I darent open it for fear of my tongue falling out, I thought I may have bitten right through.  :-X

Happily, I hadn't.

..........sadly; the girl escaped  :'(

BobB

Hitherto, happily, no injury worse than a small cut or slight burn. Today was different ! My mate and I did the last of the dismantling (wrecking ?) of the OO gauge layout to make room for the new N gauge layout. Lots of hard work because the old one was a permanent fixture using the walls as part of the structure with all fixing thereto hidden away and inaccessible.

Anyway, my foot is not broken (but feels as if it is) and Nikolai expressed extreme sorrow and apologies after dropping a very big section of removed base board on my big toe.

Have consumed quite a bit of vodka to reduce the pain and have realized how good an anesthetic any strong liquor can be.  Trouble is I have to sober up to talk to SWMBO on skype - I only chose today for the work so I could get it done whilst on my own, no tut tutting and clean the mess up yourself comments. It will be done by the time she returns !

It is beginning to hurt though !

jonclox

Whilst playing with a 1:1scale Canadian style canoe in France I managed to trap my finger between a passing rock /the paddle shaft and the side of the hull. The finger broke and lost most of its skin on one side. I wasn't `appy but had to carry on paddling own stream to our next camp site.
An ice lolly stick splint, some plaster tape to bind it up and quantities of red wine saw things sorted DIY style and I was just able to paddle with extra care the next day.
That was back in 1970 and the finger is still a bit bent because I never did get any proper care or treatment to sort it out
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP