NGS Webmaster

Started by Mirrlees, April 24, 2013, 11:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

I certainly spend a lot less than I would on NGS stuff because of the lack of online ordering. It and the 2mmSA are about the only thing I use a cheque book for these days !

I don't unfortunately see this changing soon from the conversations I've had.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

bluedepot

good luck with the website!

tim

Oakland Raider

I am a recent member but have not purchased anything from the society yet due in the most part to a lack of on-line ordering facility.
Keith

Newportnobby

Just want to add my very best wishes for you in your Webmaster role, Tim :beers:

Mustermark

Good man!  All the best with taking this on.  The site has improved hugely of late, so keep up the good work that has been started!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Pengi

Well done Tim and good luck
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Belated

Best of Luck with the Website, Tim.  I really aught to spend more time looking at it but since I found this one . . . .
:bounce:   :NGaugersRule:

John
John

red_death

Quote from: Only Me on April 26, 2013, 01:23:32 PM
Would be nice to see a picture of each kit available.... Probably not possible but would still be nice... Oh and PAYPAL accepted for payments, lets move into Century 21  :drool:

There's pictures of the majority of the NGS kits already here: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=ngs-wagon-descriptions

Cheers, Mike

anselm

I recently completed the forms for two items and sent off my cheque.  I've now been told that one item (Oxford Royal Blue coach) is not only unavailable but they cannot get any more.  I now have a credit note which must be spent  within 6 months.

I am grateful that volunteers run this excellent society but, had I been able to order on line, I would not now be left with having to spend a credit note!

Ian   >:(

EtchedPixels

Quote from: anselm on April 26, 2013, 02:29:18 PM
I am grateful that volunteers run this excellent society but, had I been able to order on line, I would not now be left with having to spend a credit note!

Ian   >:(

You should be able to get the credit note turned into a refund if need be and if the society hasn't got something else you want in the 6 month period.

Being "online" doesn't magically fix stuff being out of stock however. That would also require a realtime inventory linked to the website, but would make refunds simpler. Must be said the 2mm SA cheque system also works rather better than the NGS one.

The NGS shop is *huge* in terms of stock range and quantities. Even if it had more staff and everyone involved was jumping up and down to move it online it would be a huge project.

At some point this will all come to a head as will needing a new shop manager (or team more sensibly perhaps), some serious questioning of what is stocked, and getting things like good sales data, profit per square meter space and all the metrics and detailed data everyone else has taken for granted since the late 1980s. I have this strange feeling it will all come to a head at the same time.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

MJKERR

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 25, 2013, 05:23:31 PMI certainly spend a lot less than I would on NGS stuff because of the lack of online ordering
I use a cheque book for these days
My bank stopped issuing cheque books in 2002, so I have to send a form with Credit Card details
This isn't very secure, even with Royal Mail Recorded (Tracking) delivery
Equally, a Postal Order costs an additional amount, typically £1.00

By the time you have added the additional cost (either postage or Postal Order) to the order the discount is no longer viable

The only reason I joined the NGS was to obtain the Farish Inspection Saloon
Prior to this I was not impressed, as discussed before the lack of modern image content is poor
I have now received two booklets and it took me less than 5 minutes to find anything relevant
I have only found article about DCC in N gauge, and even that was just about how to insert a decoder into a PCB

The handbook has nothing about DCC
Equally, there is very little about layout construction
Finally, the two reviews about layouts have great detail about the scenic areas and rolling stock, but very little about the actual construction itself

Phil Hendry

Quote from: mjkerr on April 26, 2013, 03:40:32 PM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 25, 2013, 05:23:31 PMI certainly spend a lot less than I would on NGS stuff because of the lack of online ordering
I use a cheque book for these days
My bank stopped issuing cheque books in 2002,
So change bank to one that does!  Simples!

Phil
I am not a complete lunatic - there are pieces missing!

Belated

Sorry, here go the toys out of the pram again. . . .

In reply to certain comments

1) Most banks are phasing out cheques, if they haven't already done so.  Quite a few traders won't accept cheques any more. On the other hand, my insurance broker only accepts cheques or cash!

2) Yes, the NGS is run by volunteers and attempt to keep the costs to members as low as possible.  I don't know if they declare it but they are not a profit making enterprise.  I understand most internet payment methods involve a cost which would have to be recouped from the customers.  I know many traders don't like credit cards, frex, because it costs them.

3) The subject of model railways is such a broad one that it would be impossible to please everyone all the time.  How many comments/complaints have been on here that the model magazines don't have a lot of N gauge stuff in them?  Personally, I have got bored with descriptions of layouts that spend half the write up detailing the baseboard size and construction which doesn't interest me unless it's novel.

4) I haven't read the Handbook since I joined so I can't remember what's in it.  Perhaps a suggestion to the Editor that something could be added on the subject?  Certainly I remember quite a few articles on DCC over the last couple of years, both fitting chips (including sound) and more general topics.

5) I admit to not being totally disinterested but have nothing to do with running the Society or the magazine.

John
Apologies for the rant.
John

MJKERR

Quote from: Phil Hendry on April 26, 2013, 03:54:31 PMSo change bank to one that does!  Simples!
There is no way I would use the current banks that include a cheque book, there is either no benefit or there are additional monthly charges
It would be cheaper to use my business account cheque book (ironically from the same bank)

Mustermark

Perhaps an alternate thread on banks and cheques would be more appropriate?

Back on topic...  I used to me a moderator, perhaps old habits die hard.

Congratulations to Tim!  Hopefully in his new role he will be able to influence the arrival of the NGS internet shopping channel...

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations