Cattle wagons

Started by austinbob, February 19, 2016, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

"Any moment now I am sure a mod will be along to put salt on our tails to Cure us of this habit"

Salt beef then...

Now and again this forum can get a bit heavy, with claims/accusations being made. A tirade of puns does serve to lighten things, and even this thread littered with them has thrown up some interesting facts and pictures. It's been fairly brisket times.

In many respects it's a pretty grim World out there, so puns that can coax a few smiles must surely be a good thing? 

DarthBadger

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 22, 2016, 03:19:29 PM

what happened to pig and/or sheep wagons? One never hears much about them?

I suspect the majority was moved as 'deadstock' unlike the 'live stock' cows, Malcolm :worried:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: newportnobby on February 22, 2016, 09:08:41 PM
I suspect the majority was moved as 'deadstock' unlike the 'live stock' cows
Yes, could be, but that then begs the question  - why live cows but dead others ?
I'm an awkward cus isnt I  :D

zwilnik

JayM481

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 22, 2016, 09:18:12 PM
Yes, could be, but that then begs the question  - why live cows but dead others ?

Milk?

Newportnobby

Quote from: JayM481 on February 22, 2016, 09:59:22 PM

Milk?

Prezactly :D

MalcolmInN

Milk?
:idea:

but hang on, didnt someone earlier say that most cattle movement by rail was to slaughter ? Which made me think that Bob's filled wagons should only be on the 'up' line ?
And which tied up with my memories of the 40s and 50s that most livestock movement between farmers was by local lanes.
Why would milk cows be traveling far afield by rail ? *

(Amusing diversion : you should have seen us trying our first cattle drove, two little Dexter heffers [minature cattle for those not in the know ! It was a hobby for us that got a bit bigger than hens ! , we are not farmers ] from one borrowed field to another.
3 family members and 2 associates and still some front gardens were at risk :) fortunately no naturtiums were harmed during the event  :smiley-laughing: )

* awkward cusing :)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 22, 2016, 10:31:46 PM

Milk?
:idea:

but hang on, didnt someone earlier say that most cattle movement by rail was to slaughter ? Which made me think that Bob's filled wagons should only be on the 'up' line ?

Ah ! Found it :-

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on February 21, 2016, 09:47:24 PM
I would think that most cattle moved by rail were beef cattle and British popular beef cattle have always included black as in Aberdeen Angus or black and white as in Galloways

Thanks Jav

MalcolmInN

And for your further amusement :
these days you need a 'passport' (edit : I forgot - and a TB test)  to mooove a cow from one field to another if they are in different 'holding numbers', even though those fields may be adjacent with only a thorn hedge and bit of barbed wire betwixt.
Now I would not dare to abuse forum rules by discussing Schengen and the EU ! would I  :veryangry: LOL!

So you can imagine how many sausages a beast can be converted into, but if it is slaughtered by you and butchered by you it can only be consumed by,,, yes, you  ! They are still arguing over the small matter of joint ownership by an extended family (let alone a hedge fund , doh! )

LAandNQFan

Kine of back to the topic: sheep were transported in cattle trucks.  You just squeezed as many in as you could as long as the drover could get through.  Wool is very squashable, but if they were recently shorn they had to be protected from the draft with tarps.  A cheap solution to filling your trucks, then: hide the interior with a bit of black paper and claim that you are being humane in protecting the poor nekkid sheep. 
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

zwilnik

On the subject of the lime wash and weathering, I'd heard about this when looking at pics of other models (although in other scales) of GWR cattle trucks on the GWR Modelling site http://www.gwr.org.uk/index.html

so did that and the bit of grass/straw on my n gauge one..

I found the GWR Modelling site to be a pretty handy source of inspiration as a lot of the scratch built models in the different scales show some variants of wagons that wouldn't be too nasty to kit bash from N gauge kits or RTR and there's some really nice weathering effects that gave me useful ideas for mine.

Maurice Pearce's 4mm Cattle Wagon http://www.gwr.org.uk/galpearce1.html

austinbob

Quote from: Zwilnik on February 23, 2016, 09:48:02 AM
On the subject of the lime wash and weathering, I'd heard about this when looking at pics of other models (although in other scales) of GWR cattle trucks on the GWR Modelling site http://www.gwr.org.uk/index.html

so did that and the bit of grass/straw on my n gauge one..

I found the GWR Modelling site to be a pretty handy source of inspiration as a lot of the scratch built models in the different scales show some variants of wagons that wouldn't be too nasty to kit bash from N gauge kits or RTR and there's some really nice weathering effects that gave me useful ideas for mine.

Maurice Pearce's 4mm Cattle Wagon http://www.gwr.org.uk/galpearce1.html
What a nice piece of work!!
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

zwilnik

I did this cattle truck as my weathering project when we had that challenge on the forum a while (years!) back. Here's the link if you're interested..

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=833.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations