The clumsy thread

Started by railsquid, June 29, 2015, 04:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Occasionally some members have hinted that they might not be quite perfect in the handling of these tiny trains and associated accessories which delight us so much, so I'd like to dedicate this thread to their glorious achievements.

Anyway, as the saying goes, "let those who live in glass houses cast the first stone" (or something like that), so here's my most recent sacrifice to the Almighty Murphy: while attempting to change some couplings, the coupling socket decided to shear away from the rest of the bogie (little plastic bit to the right of the lower bogie in this picture):

By "decided" I mean "through ill-advised exertions on my part attempting to twist the existing coupling out of the socket". Learning from my mistake I dismembered the other coupling in-situ with a pair of nippers. The broken bogie is potentially fixable but I'm not sure how effective that would be, especially as it's a load-bearing connection.  :(

deibid

In the last month I have burned the following components:

• 2 servo motors
  • 4 IR Leds
  • 2 signals... well one of them actually was working, I had not connected the feed wire correctly...till I burned it by testing it with NO resistance  :veryangry:
  • At least 5 digital pins from my Raspberry PI

Additionally:

• I lost the tiny inner spring of a Fleischmann point when I tried to "fix" it.
  • A Rapido coupler from one of my wagons disappeared inside a tunnel  ??? .... WANTED if you find it.
  • The same hungry tunnel swallowed a Hall switch... not a good one, so that is not wanted.
  • The layout's lights can short circuit any time, depending on how I move things around... they can actually short when a train passes by a certain place  :worried:

That's it for now.. I think I missed some other incidents! so many of them ..
Next station...

Zogbert Splod

I refuse to contribute to this thread on the grounds that it may (for sure) incriminate me.  (well, maybe later)
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

railsquid

Quote from: deibid on June 29, 2015, 04:20:20 PM

• A Rapido coupler from one of my wagons disappeared inside a tunnel  ??? .... WANTED if you find it.

Oh, so that's where it came from... If you by chance find the coupling spring from a Kato Tokyo Metro 500 type, maybe we can arrange a swap?[/list]

D1042 Western Princess

I see, so you mean it is here we confess our sins like:

picking up a hot soldering iron - by the wrong end! Oh well, I didn't hold it long.  :-[  :'(

or putting a hot soldering iron down - with a brand new buffet car right underneath it and not noticing until a 'funny smell' of hot plastic reached me. :-[ :scowl:

or gluing all the ballast in place - only to find the points wouldn't move the next morning.  >:(

driving a brand new Hornby Class 47  at high speed into the dead end siding built right to the edge of the baseboard and seeing the Duff fly off the end, in a vertical direction nearly 4 feet to the floor because the stop blocks weren't in place!  :unimpressed: Perhaps that one doesn't count - it was an OO model!

Do you mean that kind of thing, Railsquid? No, I'd never do anything that silly  :dunce:

Well, not TWICE anyway.  :angel:
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

port perran

I guess you mean things like :
Accidentally dropping scatter material onto my canal before the varnish on the water was dry (try picking that off).
Tripping over wires and ripping them out of the back of the controller (More than once).
Accidentally leave the controller on full speed when the loco won't move. Walk round the baseboard to give the loco a prod only for it then to hurtle off at maximum speed into the back of some waiting wagons.
Putting a small tub of IPA into a plastic container then balancing it on the track as I clean it then knocking the lot over.
Dropping a hammer onto a scratch built building as it was waiting for the glue to dry.
Oh and yes , I too have picked up a soldering iron by the hot (very) end.

You mean those type of things ?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Skyline2uk

Another member of the "finger comes of worse than soldering iron" club right here  :-[

Didn't pick it up the wrong way, just went to stop it dropping onto a rented flat carpet  :thumbsdown:

Also up-turned an entire tub of acrylic paint onto the layout. Fortunately it was grey, onto the hard standing, but still a pain.

:dunce:

Skyline2uk 

Paul B

Only (latest) thing that springs to mind is picking up my latest Fleischmann steam loco (see the 'Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental' thread) while still in its box - my hand was just away from the table, when the box came apart, leaving the lid in my hand - and the bottom containing the loco on the kitchen floor! Of course the loco bounced and the tender body came off.  :o Luckily the tender clipped back on OK and the loco still runs fine - but, after paying £110 for it, I was a little worried!  :doh:
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Paul B on June 29, 2015, 08:47:24 PM
Only (latest) thing that springs to mind is picking up my latest Fleischmann steam loco (see the 'Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental' thread) while still in its box - my hand was just away from the table, when the box came apart, leaving the lid in my hand - and the bottom containing the loco on the kitchen floor! Of course the loco bounced and the tender body came off.  :o Luckily the tender clipped back on OK and the loco still runs fine - but, after paying £110 for it, I was a little worried!  :doh:

::) Join the club for those with airborne engines! At least my 47 was running in around the track (safely) until it noticed a point leading to a short siding that I didn't! :dunce:
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

railsquid

Quote from: port perran on June 29, 2015, 07:35:28 PM
You mean those type of things ?

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 29, 2015, 06:52:39 PM
Do you mean that kind of thing, Railsquid? No, I'd never do anything that silly  :dunce:

It's like you're reading my mind  :D

Malc

I think everyone I know in electronics has caught a falling soldering iron. The ones we used at work were a brand called Lightsold. They had a heating element covered by a coil of wire down the full length. The resulting stripe pattern on the palm of your hand was worn as a rite of passage mark.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Steve Brassett

I managed to slice my thumb open this morning with a scalpel.

Not too much blood, fortunately. :)

paulprice

I an a senior moment put a hot soldering iron in my pants pocket the other day, not one of my better moves

Cooper

Quote from: paulprice on June 30, 2015, 11:09:18 AM
I an a senior moment put a hot soldering iron in my pants pocket the other day, not one of my better moves

:o :goggleeyes: :-X :laughabovepost:

MikeDunn

Quote from: paulprice on June 30, 2015, 11:09:18 AM
I an a senior moment put a hot soldering iron in my pants pocket the other day
You are aware that's a cold-weather procedure only, and cannot be recommended in a heatwave ?  :doh:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations